The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Default Taming Alaska Picks

From a video I saw, I was able to widen some Alaska Picks so they don't squeeze my fingers. I haven't filed them yet.
Just doing some crosspicking with them and a Fred Kelley Bumblebee pick on my thumb, the Alaska Pick sounds brash for my taste. It doesn't sound like a nail. It sounds like a thick plastic fingerpick.
Would filing them down and shortening them make them sound more mellow?
Maybe I'll get some nail hardener and try nails instead.
After experimenting a bit with the Fred Kelley Bumblebee thumbpick, I just can't get the hang of strumming with it - which was the whole point.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:02 AM

They are from Alaska. They are untamable...

You might also try acrylic fingernails. You can get them applied at a fingernail salon. Coloring is optional.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
From a video I saw, I was able to widen some Alaska Picks so they don't squeeze my fingers. I haven't filed them yet.
Just doing some crosspicking with them and a Fred Kelley Bumblebee pick on my thumb, the Alaska Pick sounds brash for my taste. It doesn't sound like a nail. It sounds like a thick plastic fingerpick.
Would filing them down and shortening them make them sound more mellow?
Maybe I'll get some nail hardener and try nails instead.
After experimenting a bit with the Fred Kelley Bumblebee thumbpick, I just can't get the hang of strumming with it - which was the whole point.
I have just made a resolution to myself to go back to the Alaskas and to use them consistently till they feel natural. I see progress. There are gaps in time in my playing and my nails grow fast such that it has become too frustrating to try to keep them at the right lengths, etc.
To answer your question, i have had to modify the Alaskas considerably: shortened them to where they stick out about as much as my nails when they're long, reshaped the tips too to where the tone sounded right and snipped off the middle rings that go across the nails as I strum or frail with the backs of my nails. I think the tone is close to natural and about the same as any plastic flat pick, better than most. i use Kelly slick picks with them.
That sums up where I'm at with them. I personally think its worth trying to modify them.
BTW they do run small
Old 07-21-2018, 04:06 PM

You have to follow the classical guitarist's regimen in shaping the Alaska Piks like fingernails. You need a good diamond nail file like Solingen and very fine grit sandpaper. Are you familiar with the Ida Presti method? String contacts the flesh pad and slides up the ramp of the nail and away, releasing the string. The Alaska Pik should have a ramp.

I have not tried it yet because I am not sure if the solvent will dissolve the Alaska Pik but I am thinking about coating its underside and the ramp with clear nail lacquer. The lacquer may take the plasticky tone out of the Alaska Piks.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 PM

I use Alaska's just as they come and love them. In addition to finger-style acoustic guitar, I use them with my electric guitars for blues and jazz and I used to use them for banjo.

In my experience, mellow comes from how hard you pick with them and the angle of attack.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 07-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplay View Post
I have just made a resolution to myself to go back to the Alaskas and to use them consistently till they feel natural. I see progress. There are gaps in time in my playing and my nails grow fast such that it has become too frustrating to try to keep them at the right lengths, etc.
To answer your question, i have had to modify the Alaskas considerably: shortened them to where they stick out about as much as my nails when they're long, reshaped the tips too to where the tone sounded right and snipped off the middle rings that go across the nails as I strum or frail with the backs of my nails. I think the tone is close to natural and about the same as any plastic flat pick, better than most. i use Kelly slick picks with them.
That sums up where I'm at with them. I personally think its worth trying to modify them.
BTW they do run small
I pretty much follow this routine. You have to do some work and shape and polish the edges much as you would if you have natural nails, it’s worth the effort.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 PM

The Alaska picks are picks in name only for me. Contraption better suits its design. Getting the things to properly fit each finger and then trimmed to better suit the attack is a process made non gratifiant by their cheap and fast wearing polymer. Plus, because they're fairly thick-walled, they collide with each other in a normal up-tempo meter - clickity-clack - as fingers pass each other in rotation to the pattern used. Even cheap fake nails offer much more serviceability and efficiency of play. And, after all work has been done to get them into play, they are very uncomfortable, spelled p-a-i-n-f-u-l. After a 2 week attempt to adapt to them I found that they wore down quickly and would easily dislodge from the fingertip and even fly off when used in an aggressive piece like Classical Gas. So, I cobbled together my own fake nails, which were immeasurably better than the Alaska picks, and threw the latter away.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 PM

I think I'm just going to get nail hardener. Nothing like getting the biofeedback of actually touching the strings.
I feel a sensory connection with a flatpick, but I've never developed this with fingerpicks.
Notwithstanding, there are amazing guitarists that use contraptions like Alaska Picks.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:00 PM

I have had a set of Alaska picks sitting around for a couple of years. I recently decided it was time to take another look at the picks. I have reached an age where my finger nails are think and crack easily. I ran across an old youtube video by a young lady who did an excellent job of explaining how to fit them. Alaska picks should hire her. I followed her instructions and had great results. I am now able to play for many hours with the Alaska picks.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:22 PM

Edited to say they are user specific, ie, not suited to all types of playing.

Last edited by Pitar; 06-30-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Eric Skye

I love them. I usually spend about an hour for each new set, shaping them for each finger ( I label them "1,2,& 3" with a Sharpie) first with a four-sided file first, and then 1500 grit paper to finish. I used to file them pretty short, but I go a little longer these days. In the fifteen years I've used them I don't think I've ever tried them straight out of the package.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

I bought a couple of sets and ‘tamed’ them by throwing them in the trash.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Default "Taming" aLaska Piks

aLaska Piks come with instructions on how to customize them. Basically you trim them like you would your own nail until you get the feel you want.

Nothing against aLaska Piks, but I've given up on finger picks altogether. aLaska Piks come closest to what I want in a finger pick, but they still catch when I use the sides or back of my fingers.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 06-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

You are trying to emulate a natural nail with Alaska Piks and as Eric states, it takes some time to get them right. Those who try them without making that effort and then offer nothing but negative criticism are not delivering an accurate assessment.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

I used to play fingerpicks and a thumbpick many decades ago but gradually moved away from them, so unfamiliar with these. Are they new, or have then been around for a while?

Thanks,
Scott Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion