The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 11:47 AM

Default Do Schaller M6 Mini fit a 2008 Larriveé P-09?

I own a Larriveé P-09 custom built in 2008, so with the old Larriveé mini tuning machine (with simil ebony buttons)
I have to change them and I wrote to Larriveé but the only option they gave me was to buy their old model. Unfortunately I live in Europe so with shipping and import taxes they will cost me too much.
Do you think Schaller M6 mini can fit it without doing new holes in the headstock?
I didn't find sure informations about that.
Do you think Schaller are better than the original ones?
Thank you
Old 05-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Depends on the screw angle.

Larivee used to use Schallers decades ago before changing to Pings in the late 90s.

Show us a picture of the back of the headstock.

And yes, I think Schaller M6 minis or Gotoh 510 minis are a significant step up from the Ping minis.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Thanks for your reply
I don't know how to upload my images. Here is a sample of the right Mini for my guitar on the Larriveé website.

The screw angle is the same of the Schaller but I'm not sure if it fits the screw hole or if there is something else to consider.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:40 PM

It should fit just fine.

whm
Old 06-30-2019, 11:40 AM

First of all thanks to AZliberty and to Wade for their input.

For those that may be interested in changing their original larriveé mini I share my experience.

I wrote an email to Schaller and they were very fast in answering and very helpful in ordering the right tuning machines.
I bought M6 Mini. You can choose the color of the machines and the king of buttons. I chose ebony buttons to match the original ones. To be honest the original ones were plastic copy of ebony. The new one are much much better in looking and I think much more solid.
After that you have to choose the length of the posts. For the solid headstock they give 19.7 - 21.7 and 23.7 mm. This is the measure from the bottom of the housing to the mid of the hole for the string. On their website there are a lot of pictures to explain that.
The original Larriveé ones measure 22.7 but they are quite low on the headstock so the right choice is 23.7 mm. It is not too long at all, it is just right, giving you enough room for proper string wrapping.
DON'T ORDER 21.7, IT WOULD BE TOO SHORT

The gear ratio is 1:18, very good.

Changing the tuning machines is very very easy. Remove the old one and put in place the new one. The screw hole of the machine is a little misaligned with the hole in the headstock, but it is a very very little difference. You can screw the screw in without any problem. The screw enter the hole with an angle of 75-80° instead of 90°, but once it is all screwed in you don't see any difference. Very very easy and steady.

Now the big surprise for me. Once you tune the guitar.... well, you are on another planet. A BIG step up compared to the old ones.
Now tuning is as smooth as any regular (not mini) great quality tuners. Even with medium gauge strings it is very smooth and precise.
To be honest, I'm very happy that one of the original tuners broke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion