The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Yeah, that is a cool feature, as long as you have the "dummy" 9 volt to pop in. Mine didn't have it with it (also an Ebay purchase). But they really thought through a lot of great details when they designed the AG Stomp.

Yeah, it wouldn't work with the AA powered preamp in your Tak. BTW, how do you like the cool tube in there? My Tak just has the ole N4B preamp in it - sounds good, but I've been curious about the cool tube idea.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM

For me, I don't use the "tube" aspect at all; I leave it off. A Flamenco requires a "bright" sound, which in my experience means avoiding the "warmth" that the tube effect provides. Apparently, the CTP-1 didn't provide enough for steel-string guitarists (and others that wanted more warmth), which is why they went to CTP-2.

Other than that, the CTP-2 sounds absolutely fantastic - and it has the dual-source option (which I don't use either, since the Palathetic Pickup works perfectly).

So I've been interested in trying out a CT4BII in at least one of my 4 CTP-2 powered guitars....
Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Makes sense.
I've heard some samples of the AG stomp on their website. I think at the end he goes through the classical settings with a classical - and it sounded really nice. Here is the link:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...TYP%3D,00.html
Takamine Santa Fe
Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw pete View Post
Right on. I think you'll like it. Please let us know how it works for you. For me, the standard "big strum" setting works great (I think it's the first setting).
Yes, please let us know what you think....perhaps we can trade settings tips once you start working with it.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:36 PM

My AG-Stomp arrived, and I have to say that I am really impressed. I find the settings I like are subtle, but noticeable, and enhance the sound just enough. I'm still experimenting - for my nylon string Flamenco, the effects are subtle but enhance things "just enough". I added some reverb to setting 42, and it sounds good, but most of the settings from 41 to 53 seem useable (Big Strum added too much bass for me, but I can see where steel string guitarists would love it.....)

Sure is a big (and heavy) effects box, but I love that the knobs are tweakable.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw pete View Post
Right on. I think you'll like it. Please let us know how it works for you. For me, the standard "big strum" setting works great (I think it's the first setting).
Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Right on! I'm glad you are diggin it so far. Like I said, I really like it with my steel strings, but have been really curious about using it with a classical.
Takamine Santa Fe
Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Well, I've been playing around with the AG-Stomp all weekend, and it certainly does what it is supposed to do. I think, though, that for me I don't WANT the mic emulation - that's what provides a "warmth" that I turn off in my CTP-2.

So I fired up my old GS-10, and the sound is really good - I think the reverb in the AG-Stomp might be a bit better, but they are really close.

So I'm going to put the AG-Stomp back on E-Bay for what I paid for it ($125) + $15 shipping, and stick with my ol' buddy.....

Thanks for the input, it was a good learning experience, and the AG-Stomp is pretty impressive, all things considered.....

(If anyone here is interested, let me know at BuleriaChk "at" aol "dot" com).

Chuck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification