The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-01-2024, 08:06 AM

Default Is there a good looper & drum machine pedal?

I’m a bedroom player and wanting to add a little color and pizazz to my practice time. I’m looking at looper pedals but it seems that some pedals are looper with drum tracks that can also be engaged.

Looking for comments/advice/thoughts? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Rich View Post
I’m a bedroom player and wanting to add a little color and pizazz to my practice time. I’m looking at looper pedals but it seems that some pedals are looper with drum tracks that can also be engaged.

Looking for comments/advice/thoughts? Thanks!
Isn't that what you're looking for?

Most who loop and use built-in drum tracks use the quantize feature to sync the drum track to their looped track. That's often a feature that's built in to a looper that has included rhythm capabilities.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:25 PM

I have a Trio+, original Trio for sale on local Facebook, and a simple JamMan Express pedal. Additionally have some of this in the Spark/iPad setup.

There is a learning curve with Trio and Trio+ and that would include how you can load other tracks with it. The Spark app looping feature is love/hate but the way it parses YouTube and lets you use your Apple or Spotify account is really great.

The Spark app can be used without the amp too where I'll output the sound to my combo acoustic/PA amp.

All of it is good. All of it is different. The discontinued JamMan Express loopers can also run on 9V battery and be purchased for little money. I bring that up because it means with a phone, tablet or computer you have drum machine and looping too.

My keepers are or will be the Trio+, Spark, and simple looper pedal that can all be used together or separately.

P.S. You can also get the cheap and good for money Acoustic brand acoustic/PA I have and I bring that up because it plays back a drum machine or backing track with better fidelity than your tube amp.

P.S.S. The Trio+ can be wired in effects loop manner to also best use other pedals. That way I can plug the all of it into one of the loud tube amps or one of the practice amps my son and I have.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I have a Donner Circle pedal which is a looper with 40 savable tracks and a drum machine. I honestly don’t get on with drum machines very well and after playing around with it over the first few days, I pretty much stopped messing with the drums and just use it as a pretty nice looper pedal with lots of savable tracks. But it’s not terribly expensive (about $100) for what you get and it’s got a lot of features on the drum side, if you can work them effectively.

-Ray
Old 02-10-2024, 07:23 PM

I have a Boss RC-5, which is a looper and drum pedal. The drum part is hard to access, so I bought a BeatBuddy Mini II pedal. I use the Beat Buddy way, way, way more. Turns out, I don't really need the looper all that often.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:23 PM

I've got a Trio. There'a a slight learning curve, but it works well once you figure it out.

Drum sims sound good.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:32 AM

No. Ask us a hard one!
Old 02-22-2024, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I have a Boss RC-5, which is a looper and drum pedal. The drum part is hard to access, so I bought a BeatBuddy Mini II pedal. I use the Beat Buddy way, way, way more. Turns out, I don't really need the looper all that often.
I hear that. I gave up on figuring out the RC-5, sold it, and have been happy with my new RC-1 ever since. I'm sure if I took the time to learn, it would be a quite capable looper/rhythm pedal, but would take a while...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-28-2024, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I have a Flamma drum loop pedal I got on Amazon. It works fine as a loop pedal and the drum tracks are usable for practice. I think it was like $60.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars