The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 01:52 PM

Default Played an original Roy Smeck today.

Finally made it back to Elderly to pick up one in the repair shop. I saw they had a 30s Roy Smeck on the website. Before I went downstairs to the shop, I popped into the acoustic room and took a look. The Martin 000 Norman Blake was impressive, as was the Santa Cruz Norman Blake model. After strumming a couple Collings, I went to get my guitar in the shop.

After settling up with the guy, I asked him about the Smeck and he asked me if he should ring that up too. I laughed and said I at least gotta try it first. $8k is out of my range a bit without selling a few others first I quickly calculated to myself...

He disappeared to the back to emerge with an old case with green interior and there it was....the 12 fret behemoth I had only ever read about. It was a dream come true to play it, but a little disappointing. I thought I could handle the Hawaiian neck but I gotta admit, it was way too much to navigate. I also expected the neck to have more of a V shape but it was rounded. Other than that, it was a beast. Absolute cannon. I think understand that term better now. Played it for about 10 mins. Great pinch harmonics.

There was a little mirror nearby I grabbed as well. I looked at the bracing but couldn't see if it was 2 or 3 tone bars. There was a faint ink stamp on the neck block.

It's fun to dream but as for me ever getting an original Gibson Roy Smeck, the thrill is gone.

Last edited by KalamazooGuy; 04-11-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Next best thing?

https://www.irisguitarcompany.com/12-fret-models
Old 04-10-2021, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Well, now you can say you played one.

Interesting write-up, thanks!
Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 PM

I played one at Westwood music in LA some time ago. A beast, with a neck like a baseball bat. I'd been playing some Blind Blake-ish stuff in the store and the shop guy said "come and have a look at this!". I think he was more excited than I was, as I didn't know much about the history of old acoustic guitars and styles at the time. I'd love to have another go now.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion