The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I really want to try some other J-35's and confirm the gauge. Although the J-35 I tried seemed new, it could have been in the store for a while but just in great condition. The strings felt very light so I am now wondering if they were the 11's. That could be a game changer as I really loved the J-35 but felt as though the B and E strings were a bit thin sounding.

I agree, the J-35 has a boutique quality to it. It reacts well to all playing styles but always project effortlessly. Did you return yours simply because it had the Baggs Element? That doesn't really bother me since I could easily put in an Anthem or another system and get a new saddle. Very easy change. I believe Gibson has a deal with Baggs, which is why they don't offer the Matrix. I think if the guitar has the Matrix with the aura onboard then it makes a difference but there's little difference tonally between the straight Matrix and Element.
The Element was one of the concerns I had about this like-new 2016 Gibson J-35 (IMHO, I think the Fishman Matrix UST has less affect on acoustic tone and amplifies noticeably cleaner than the Baggs Element UST), the other was that when I removed the strings from the bridge to add a wire-guide for the battery cable, I noticed the nut-slots looked very rough and I suspected the original owner had altered them to try to make the action at the nut more suitable to his playing style. I've even gone so far as to order a Tusq XL Gibson Jumbo Pre-Slotted Nut for installation and also some Tusq bridgepins. The store owner said he'd install the new nut and cut the slots to his usual great setup as part of his setup and lifetime adjustment policy on all instruments he sells. I traded one of my RainSongs for the Gibson and saw what he was selling my used RainSong for and decided to reverse the deal (the store has a 7-day policy). I told the owner that I still may buy the 2016 Gibson J-35 outright as it sounds, plays and looks so nice! Frankly, its top, back-and-sides are better-looking than the four 2016 J-35s currently displayed at Sweetwater.

If I re-buy, outright, the like-new 2016 Gibson J-35, or buy a new one, I can live with leaving the LR Baggs Element VTC system in it but should I decide to change the system, I have another Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono in reserve. As you can tell, the 2016 Gibson J-35 must have touched me!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-15-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Element was one of the concerns I had about this like-new 2016 Gibson J-35 (IMHO, I think the Fishman Matrix UST has less affect on acoustic tone and amplifies noticeably cleaner than the Baggs Element UST), the other was that when I removed the strings from the bridge to add a wire-guide for the battery cable, I noticed the nut-slots looked very rough and I suspected the original owner had altered them to try to make the action at the nut more suitable to his playing style. I've even gone so far as to order a Tusq XL Gibson Jumbo Pre-Slotted Nut for installation and also some Tusq bridgepins. The store owner said he'd install the new nut and cut the slots to his usual great setup as part of his setup and lifetime adjustment policy on all instruments he sells. I traded one of my RainSongs for the Gibson and saw what he was selling my used RainSong for and decided to reverse the deal (the store has a 7-day policy). I told the owner that I still may buy the 2016 Gibson J-35 outright as it sounds, plays and looks so nice! Frankly, its top, back-and-sides are better-looking than the four 2016 J-35s currently displayed at Sweetwater.

If I re-buy, outright, the like-new 2016 Gibson J-35, or buy a new one, I can live with leaving the LR Baggs Element VTC system in it but should I decide to change the system, I have another Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono in reserve. As you can tell, the 2016 Gibson J-35 must have touched me!
Makes sense! I will admit that something about the J-35 has me hooked. The one I played was just such a well made instrument and that's saying a lot for Gibson. For finger picking alone it was a killer guitar. I would love to try one that I know has at least light gauge strings and not the 11s. I would also be curious to hear how it sounds with the Elixir HD lights, which have more of a medium gauge for the G,B and E strings. I think the Trance would sound awesome in the J-35.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:56 PM

Never liked the tone of the Element in my J-45 Std.
It's super easy to upgrade the Element to the Anthem SL.
That's what I did and never looked back. Did it myself, too.
No need to drill any new holes.

Seems a shame to take back a guitar you really love, especially
since you got it at a nice price. The plugged in sound can be
worked on.

Good luck however you roll,

_Roger
Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
The one I played was just such a well made instrument and that's saying a lot for Gibson.
On the contrary, I don't think it's saying enough.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Makes sense! I will admit that something about the J-35 has me hooked. The one I played was just such a well made instrument and that's saying a lot for Gibson. For finger picking alone it was a killer guitar. I would love to try one that I know has at least light gauge strings and not the 11s. I would also be curious to hear how it sounds with the Elixir HD lights, which have more of a medium gauge for the G,B and E strings. I think the Trance would sound awesome in the J-35.
I got hooked too! Played one back in March, and was SHOCKED at the combination of how much I loved it and the pricepoint. Wow. So I went back to the store a few weeks later and played it again. This time, the store was dead and the guy helping me out offered to change to the strings to phosphor for me. He checked the gauge on the 80/20s on there first and they were in fact 12s, not 11s. I preferred the PBs.

And then... I went back last week and decided I'd save a lot of gas (and I guess maybe GAS too) if I would just take the darn thing home with me! So I got it. It's awesome. The pickup isn't the greatest (I have the full Anthem in my usual stage guitar) but considering that you could play live immediately with this thing out of the box, at this price, it's hard to quibble I think.

The combination of the playability and sound and price just really hits a sweet spot I think. This could end up becoming my main live guitar. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned on this discussion, in the list of upgrades for the 2016 models on the gibson site, these are getting PLEK'd now. This is a big deal. It's not cheap to get done to your guitar. But these come with that already, which is a big part of why the intonation is so spot on and the neck/fretwork feels so right and precise.

For those of you checking out Gibsons, you can tell if it's a 2016 model by the (goofy, in my opinion) "2016" that's on the truss rod cover. Based on their website and that truss rod cover it seems that they're going out of their way to indicate that 2016 signals a "new era" of sorts for their acoustic guitars.

I'm very pleased with my new J-35 and look forward to hearing it open up more over the years.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on acquiring your new 2016 Gibson J-35! I was smitten too as there's just something charming about this model. Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-16-2016, 07:08 PM

Default If you

If you are a J-35 fan and can afford it, get a Collings CJ-35. It will cost you more upfront, but in the long run, you will never regret it. It will last you a lifetime. I've never read anything but rave reviews about that guitar.

I own a CJMh, mahogany body with a german spruce top. I think it's Bill Collings' version of the J-45. Great guitar. These guitars can be picked up on Ebay and other used guitar outlets.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalE View Post
If you are a J-35 fan and can afford it, get a Collings CJ-35. It will cost you more upfront, but in the long run, you will never regret it. It will last you a lifetime. I've never read anything but rave reviews about that guitar.

I own a CJMh, mahogany body with a german spruce top. I think it's Bill Collings' version of the J-45. Great guitar. These guitars can be picked up on Ebay and other used guitar outlets.
I was definitely interested in the CJ-35, but honestly the Gibson J-35 is a great guitar for a fraction of the price. I know how amazing Collings guitars are but they are definitely an investment, especially here in Canada where everything is 30-40% higher now due to the Canadian dollar.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
the Gibson J-35 is a great guitar for a fraction of the price. I know how amazing Collings guitars are but they are definitely an investment
Exactly. That's why I was stressing the price point so much in my comment above. I'm not saying the J-35 is the best guitar in the world. On the same day I pulled the trigger on the Gibson, I played some Santa Cruz guitars that were truly outstanding. But for the value, no way. I could get 3 of these Gibsons for the price of one of the Collings or 4 of them for a Santa Cruz.

I wanted a solid, working guitar that wouldn't break the bank and that I would be pretty comfortable using in most any live environment. My Santa Cruz is AMAZING, but it pretty much stays at home.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgiants View Post
Exactly. That's why I was stressing the price point so much in my comment above. I'm not saying the J-35 is the best guitar in the world. On the same day I pulled the trigger on the Gibson, I played some Santa Cruz guitars that were truly outstanding. But for the value, no way. I could get 3 of these Gibsons for the price of one of the Collings or 4 of them for a Santa Cruz.

I wanted a solid, working guitar that wouldn't break the bank and that I would be pretty comfortable using in most any live environment. My Santa Cruz is AMAZING, but it pretty much stays at home.
That's pretty much what appeals to me about the J-35. It's so versatile that I could easily bring it to jam sessions and use it live. I would upgrade the electronics but that's a fairly easy thing to do. I am finding a number of them used online but I would like to try the 2016 model. I know the improvements were minor, but I would still like to try one.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
... I would like to try the 2016 model. I know the improvements were minor, but I would still like to try one.
I wouldn't call the PLEK process just a minor improvement. I think it makes a big difference and it's a big value add, I think, that Gibson is including this in their new guitars (don't know if it's across the board, or just certain models). It is being done to the J-35s. You can feel and hear the difference. I had it done to my Santa Cruz. SCGC is also now doing it to all their new guitars.

I don't know how much this was discussed here on the forum, but there's a good video and overview of Santa Cruz's work with the Plek machine and their reasoning, etc., here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKB7DRf4QU

Enjoy!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgiants View Post
I wouldn't call the PLEK process just a minor improvement. I think it makes a big difference and it's a big value add, I think, that Gibson is including this in their new guitars (don't know if it's across the board, or just certain models). It is being done to the J-35s. You can feel and hear the difference. I had it done to my Santa Cruz. SCGC is also now doing it to all their new guitars.

I don't know how much this was discussed here on the forum, but there's a good video and overview of Santa Cruz's work with the Plek machine and their reasoning, etc., here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKB7DRf4QU

Enjoy!
I think that PLEK process being listed as an improvement is a bit misleading. I don't believe this is new to Gibson (I could be wrong). I know back in 2014 they were advertising their guitars as having the PLEK set up done and I believe it was even before that. I was in a music store last year and a Gibson rep was there selling the brand to the manager. He mentioned that all guitars were having PLEK done to them and that was mid-2015. I listed the improvements as minor because I wonder how much of a difference they make, especially if the PLEK was already used.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I think that PLEK process being listed as an improvement is a bit misleading. I don't believe this is new to Gibson (I could be wrong). I know back in 2014 they were advertising their guitars as having the PLEK set up done and I believe it was even before that. I was in a music store last year and a Gibson rep was there selling the brand to the manager. He mentioned that all guitars were having PLEK done to them and that was mid-2015. I listed the improvements as minor because I wonder how much of a difference they make, especially if the PLEK was already used.
Interesting. I didn't realize that. Based on how the web page looks, with a big heading that says "new and improved for 2016" with the mention of Plek underneath, I would say that's VERY misleading. On the other hand, my guitar "final inspection" form that came with the instrument was signed off on October something 2015. So even though it's a 2016 model, it was actually built a bit before.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 AM

I've been playing my J35 for the past several weeks and am really enjoying it. I've been playing it alongside an AJ (some stiff competition) and have noticed something interesting. I'm not sure if it's my particular guitar or somewhat true of J35s across the board...

From the player's perspective, I'm not hearing too much of what is actually going on with the guitar- I'm hearing mostly the sound of the strings and the treble response which is somewhat harsh at times. Difficult to detect much bass response at all. But when you sit out in front of the guitar, there's this beautiful dry, woody, very balanced tone being projected that isn't lacking anything at all. Even if I lean down toward the sound hole as I play it's noticeably better the more out in front I can get. This compared to the AJ which is thunderous from a player's perspective and rattles through your chest.

Has anyone else experienced this with your J35? I'm finding it to be somewhat uninspiring to play because of this, but then I hear it recorded or from a few feet out and it's killer.
“One who is content with what he has, and who accepts the fact that he inevitably misses very much in life, is far better off than one who has much more but who worries about all he may be missing." -Thomas Merton
Old 06-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboy2024 View Post
Has anyone else experienced this with your J35? I'm finding it to be somewhat uninspiring to play because of this, but then I hear it recorded or from a few feet out and it's killer.
I didn't experience that with mine, but I will concur that it's a GREAT recording guitar. Even with careless mic placement, it was hard to get a bad guitar part into the mix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion