The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 AM

Default Sting performing Dowland

I have recently come across the 2006 album by Sting entitled "Songs from the Labyrinth". Sting collaborates with lutenist Edin Karamazov in performing the music of John Dowland. The melodies are haunting and the instrumental work on the lute is beautiful. As a classical guitarist who has played the music of Dowland, I found this to be interesting and inspiring.
Perhaps many of you have heard the album. For those who haven't, it is worth a listen.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for the heads-up. I've got an album of Dowland's work and it is indeed haunting. I'm looking this up on Grooveshark right now.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for reminding me about this. I've been meaning to pick up the CD for years. I remember seeing Sting playing some of these tunes in a cathedral on PBS years ago.

I've always loved Ren period music, particularly lute music. I've got Noad's book and have dabbled in some of these works on the classical guitar, but always wanted to get a real lute and try my hand at that. Unfortunately, from what I remember reading... decent lutes aren't cheap.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 AM

I love playing Ren music. I have played quite a number of duets from that period and wondered how these would sound with guitar and lute?
Also, if you go onto You Tube there are some nice clips of Sting and Edin playing music from "Songs from the Labyrinth" as well as some of the well knowns such as "Fields of Gold". Interesting to hear "Fields of Gold" performed with voice and lute.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:58 AM

Dowland wrote melancholic music. I like pieces like the frog Galliard, My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe, Mrs Winters jump.
I have a cd with Julian Bream and a tenor Peter Peers (?) performing Elizabethan songs but really that was too melancholy for me.

Wiilim Shakespeare in a poem mentions Dowland saying that he ravishes the senses.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Dowland wrote melancholic music. I like pieces like the frog Galliard, My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe, Mrs Winters jump.
I have a cd with Julian Bream and a tenor Peter Peers (?) performing Elizabethan songs but really that was too melancholy for me.

Wiilim Shakespeare in a poem mentions Dowland saying that he ravishes the senses.
Interestingly Dowland was a cheerful person (well according to wikipedia), some claim that the melancholy was an attempt to develop "artistic persona".

My assorted assembly of aural "art"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical