The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Hi Brian,

I use the Hannabach high tension Goldins on my Kenny Hill crossover - but I swap out the G string with a Savarez - for some reason it just intonates better with that choice. But, I am now curious about the Thomastiks and may try them. It really is a matter of feel so you might want to try some different kinds over time to see what your hands/ears like the most.

Enjoy playing your Kinnaird - it looks like a lovely guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Thomastik strings are expensive but Very good sounding if you want to experiment with something different. I suggest the kr116 from classic S series. The classic N i didnt like and the JohnPearse folk didnt try but i think that they are for acoustic guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-6pOAHDFzA
John Pearse seems to advertise them for classicals - to give a sound a bit more toward the steel-string sound - they (the folk fingerpicking strings) are advertised as appropriate for classical and "normal" acoustic (steel-string) guitars...
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Cool Strings for Crossovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
I use La Bella 850B-HT. Excellent quality high tension strings, long-lasting and reasonably priced.
I recently installed a set of La Bella 900 Golds on my Martin 000C Nylon crossover and was very VERY happy with the sound and also the price. Someone on the AGF had recommended them to me (on a thread discussing "squeak") so 'thank you' to whoever it was! Under $10/set and free shipping! The 900W set has a wound G string.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
crossover, kinnaird, strings