The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Yamaha CG192C

Hello everyone. This is my first post here I just joined. I'm looking at a Yamaha CG192C classical guitar and would I would like to know if this is good guitar for beginner. I'm specifically interested in classical guitar.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 AM

The G192C should be fine. I could also recommend a cordoba C7 or C9, if that's in your price range. See if you can try a few different models out.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 01-31-2014, 10:10 AM

I agree with Vognell. I think Cordoba guitars are better.Get someone you trust ,your teacher maybe, and try some guitars.

and welcome to the forum
Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 AM

Hello Christine,
Welcome to AGF. Like you I'm a relative newcomer, at least in terms of actively participating in the forum.
Regarding the Yamaha CG192c, it probably is a good "beginner" classical guitar. I took the liberty of surfing around this site (couldn't find any classical guitars for sale on the first few pages of the classified section) and then on the net generally.
When I started playing classical guitar seriously (a long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far, away) my search for a suitable guitar ended with a Sakurai No. 7. In those days one of those cost just a couple of hundred dollars more then the Yamaha you're considering. Well, times have changed. Dream Guitars in North Carolina has a used Sakurai No.5 (one model down) and it's listed at just a shade shy to two grand.
So, the Yamaha CG192c does have a solid spruce top (a plus) and an ebony fingerboard (another plus) at a reasonable price. During the 30+ years I've been teaching classical guitar lessons Yamaha guitars have always been near the top of my Recommended Instrument list for beginner students, more for their sturdiness and dependability than quality of tone.
All that said, I strongly advise you to find a retailer nearby with this model of Yamaha in stock and try out the guitar in person. If you're not confident enough at this point to make a solo decision, take 1) a qualified classical teacher or 2) a trusted friend who plays along and give the guitar a really good listen.
I hope this helps and best of luck in your search for a classical guitar.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hello Christine,
Welcome to AGF. Like you I'm a relative newcomer, at least in terms of actively participating in the forum.
Regarding the Yamaha CG192c, it probably is a good "beginner" classical guitar. I took the liberty of surfing around this site (couldn't find any classical guitars for sale on the first few pages of the classified section) and then on the net generally.
When I started playing classical guitar seriously (a long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far, away) my search for a suitable guitar ended with a Sakurai No. 7. In those days one of those cost just a couple of hundred dollars more then the Yamaha you're considering. Well, times have changed. Dream Guitars in North Carolina has a used Sakurai No.5 (one model down) and it's listed at just a shade shy to two grand.
So, the Yamaha CG192c does have a solid spruce top (a plus) and an ebony fingerboard (another plus) at a reasonable price. During the 30+ years I've been teaching classical guitar lessons Yamaha guitars have always been near the top of my Recommended Instrument list for beginner students, more for their sturdiness and dependability than quality of tone.
All that said, I strongly advise you to find a retailer nearby with this model of Yamaha in stock and try out the guitar in person. If you're not confident enough at this point to make a solo decision, take 1) a qualified classical teacher or 2) a trusted friend who plays along and give the guitar a really good listen.
I hope this helps and best of luck in your search for a classical guitar.
Thank you all for the replies. I have a chance to buy the yamaha for $350 slightly used. BTW I'm in NC. Where is dream guitars?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Dream Guitars is located in Weaverville, just a few miles north of Asheville. Much of their stock is pricey (because it's truly high end) but I notice that just lately they've started bringing in some lines at more reasonable price points. It might be worth your while to google Dream Guitars for info if nothing else. On a different note that's really pretty country up there in the Appalachian mountains.
BTW - I'd give the $350 price tag for the Yamaha another checkmark in the plus column. Since this is a guitar to get you started it makes sense not to break the bank until you know that playing classical guitar is a passion that will last.
In the meantime at $350 you can't really go wrong with the Yamaha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical