The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Hi there,
I need improve my English to teach online lessons. So, I would like invite one or two of you to have free personal lessons via Skype with me.
Thus I could practice my english while you could learn Brazilian guitar. As a exchange.
I know my limitations when I speak English, but I believe would be possible to reach to a common interest point.
With the arrival of Christmas and New Year the personal lessons could begin from January 13th.
If there anyone interested send me a private message, please. So we can deal with class schedule.
If more than two are interested, unfortunatelly, I will have to choose through easier schedule.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Brazilian Music is Terrific!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandro View Post
Hello all!
First of all excuse my english, I only a beginner in this language.
I wonder if anyone here likes brazilian music such as bossa nova, samba and others styles wich we usually play on nylon guitar here in Brazil and what do you thinks about it.

Sorry if I make a mistake posting here.

Best whishes
Renato
My favourite Brazilian song in a popular vein is Manha de Carnaval by Luiz Bonfa. (Sorry, I don't know how to insert the squiggle above the last a in Manha on a mac). I like this piece so much I made an instrumental solo guitar arrangement of it about a year ago. (I'll try to record and post it here in the next month or so).
In the classical vein I love everything by Brazilian composer H.Villa-Lobos, especially Prelude no.2, Etude No.7 and Choros No.1. As well as these, I love and have had the privilege of performing The Concerto in Em and the guitar arrangement of the Bachianus Brazilieras No.7 several times.. To my ears it doesn't get any better!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
My favourite Brazilian song in a popular vein is Manha de Carnaval by Luiz Bonfa. (Sorry, I don't know how to insert the squiggle above the last a in Manha on a mac). I like this piece so much I made an instrumental solo guitar arrangement of it about a year ago. (I'll try to record and post it here in the next month or so).
In the classical vein I love everything by Brazilian composer H.Villa-Lobos, especially Prelude no.2, Etude No.7 and Choros No.1. As well as these, I love and have had the privilege of performing The Concerto in Em and the guitar arrangement of the Bachianus Brazilieras No.7 several times.. To my ears it doesn't get any better!!!
Hey! Well remembered. That song is cool, full of elegance. Bonfá was elegant player too.

Villa Lobos was a really great composer. His orchestral works are awesome and there are so many of those that is difficult point out some few.
Villa was a composer who had the bad reputation of whom had no accuracy when he was composing.
Today, fortunately, there are some researchers in USP (São Paulo University) who are engaged in a analitic process of his works in order to understand his composing process. And it is changing such outdated point of view.
Actually, they are finding a deep level of structural relations of tones, phrases, symmetric movements and other things.
I have a friend who came back right now from a music congress in Estonia where he presented some of these process. From what he said me his work was well-accepted by the people who participated of the meeting.

Hugs
Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM

I love bossa music. Luiz Bonfa is on most of my favorite recordings.

Unfortunately I am not trained in the music. I know a bunch of chords and a bit of the right hand technique and rhythms so I can improvise a bit, but I don't know any complete songs really.

Would love to hear about any online resources.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicameral_mind View Post

Unfortunately I am not trained in the music. I know a bunch of chords and a bit of the right hand technique and rhythms so I can improvise a bit, but I don't know any complete songs really.

http://www.bossanovaguitar.com
Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicameral_mind View Post

What kind of resources are you looking for? Free tutorials or private lessons?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
bossa nova, brazilian guitar, samba