The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-08-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Additionally, I decided to listen to some You Tube videos of the DRRI with comparisons of various speakers. These included a couple he recommended.
I realize it’s You Tube, but I didn’t hear any earth-shattering differences.
Actually, I owned one of these a few years back and I put a Weber 12F150 in it. That speaker came highly recommended.
Sounded somewhat better than the original, but for what they cost today, no thanks.
I find that to be the case for a lot of stuff that is reviewed on YouTube and on Internet forums. In reality, it is not nearly as life-changing or earth-shattering as the reviewers make it sound.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:31 PM

Mine was wonderful but I sold it and the Princeton 65 reissue was my keeper. Both are excellent so it is wrong to take my choice as a criticism. For why and for context.... I'm not a professional. When I got the PRRI I realized it would work if a drummer was present yet was nicer for home use and carrying. It was easier to get the PRRI with a hair of dirty tone.

Both my Deluxe and Princeton were reliable. Both were nicer than the Hot Rod or Blues Junior if that was the one that also had reverb.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I find that to be the case for a lot of stuff that is reviewed on YouTube and on Internet forums. In reality, it is not nearly as life-changing or earth-shattering as the reviewers make it sound.
That's interesting. My own reviews are usually more centered around whether to keep an item or throw it in the lake. I hate overly negative reviews so I typically don't publish on items I'd prefer to throw in the lake. I'm not compensated for my work and I don't get the items either lent or given to me, so there isn't any bias that isn't my own!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-15-2023, 05:51 PM

I also moved up from a Hot Rod Deluxe to a '65 DRRI.

Although the HRDx had its good points, I'm really glad I moved on up.

I bought the DRRI used for $650 - in mint condition - 7-8 years ago, but they have really increased in price lately.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:02 AM

PSA: for those who have the bucks - yeah, it's real pricey, but go find another one - here's a museum-quality original '65 DR:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_65fdlxrvb.html
Old 12-17-2023, 01:00 PM

A Weber kit is reasonably priced and goes on sale for a bit off occasionally.

For more bucks, a Heathkit-class set of instructions, and often 15% off, the Stew Mac kit (Mojotone) is also cheaper than a DRRI.

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, you could actually save money building a Heathkit and it's kind of nice that option is back.

I personally would go for the Princeton Reverb option as at drummer volumes you can get a little natural tube amp distortion.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-18-2023 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:01 PM

Best all-around guitar amp ever made, IMO.

If you are buying new and can afford the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb ($3K), go for it. It is all hand wired, point-to-point like the originals and the difference is definitely noticeable. Future servicing, if needed, is MUCH easier for a tech when it's point-to-point wired.

AND... consider putting in a Weber 12F150 speaker, 50 watt, Light Dope if you want max clean headroom like me.

https://www.gryphonstrings.com/colle...verb®-120v-new
Old 12-17-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Anyone care to weigh in on this amp? Considering moving on from my
HRDLX IV.
Love mine. Soulmate for a telecaster.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! I wanted to wait a while before posting as I hadn’t had much time with the new amp. After having some hours logged I can confidently say that I am very pleased. What a great fit for me.

It certainly has that BF tone that I love. Running it through ch 2 (vibrato) is my go to as I can run it a bit hotter (about 3 1/2). It loves every pedal I’ve put in front of it. It also has a warmth that my Hot Rod IV didn’t have.

I did love my HR though. I liked having a mid knob and was concerned that not having one could be an issue. It isn’t. Dialing in the bass and treble I found the perfect mid “sweet spot” (for me). It didn’t take long to be off and running. I’m not sure this amp can sound bad. I’m amazed every time I turn it on.

It seems a bit more “open” than my HR as well. Just an outstanding, simple, workhorse. Exactly what I needed. I can absolutely understand why they are the most recorded amp. Truly a fantastic product from Fender. I have no regrets or buyers remorse. My only issue is that I didn’t get one sooner.

Thanks for all of the input. I value and consider it all. Play often, be well.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-30-2023, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new Deluxe Reverb tube amp, PTony! That is so cool! I would love one myself! I am so glad you are happy with it!

- Glenn
Old 12-30-2023, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! I wanted to wait a while before posting as I hadn’t had much time with the new amp. After having some hours logged I can confidently say that I am very pleased. What a great fit for me.

It certainly has that BF tone that I love. Running it through ch 2 (vibrato) is my go to as I can run it a bit hotter (about 3 1/2). It loves every pedal I’ve put in front of it. It also has a warmth that my Hot Rod IV didn’t have.

I did love my HR though. I liked having a mid knob and was concerned that not having one could be an issue. It isn’t. Dialing in the bass and treble I found the perfect mid “sweet spot” (for me). It didn’t take long to be off and running. I’m not sure this amp can sound bad. I’m amazed every time I turn it on.

It seems a bit more “open” than my HR as well. Just an outstanding, simple, workhorse. Exactly what I needed. I can absolutely understand why they are the most recorded amp. Truly a fantastic product from Fender. I have no regrets or buyers remorse. My only issue is that I didn’t get one sooner.

Thanks for all of the input. I value and consider it all. Play often, be well.
If you want more drive out of that amp and you don't use your tremolo, pull the V1 trem tube (and don't put anything in that slot). If you like your amp even a little dirtier, you can take that 12AX7 you just pulled out and put it into the phase inverter slot (12AT7) and it'll grind even more. Totally safe mods that I've been doing it for years, and you can google it for the explanation of how it works.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:36 AM

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 12-30-2023, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Congratulations on your new Deluxe Reverb tube amp, PTony! That is so cool! I would love one myself! I am so glad you are happy with it!

- Glenn
Thanks Glen. VERY pleased. It likes every guitar I’ve plugged in. Even the Martin sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
If you want more drive out of that amp and you don't use your tremolo, pull the V1 trem tube (and don't put anything in that slot). If you like your amp even a little dirtier, you can take that 12AX7 you just pulled out and put it into the phase inverter slot (12AT7) and it'll grind even more. Totally safe mods that I've been doing it for years, and you can google it for the explanation of how it works.
Love the tips. I like modding/improving stuff. I’ll have to give those a whirl. Although, I must admit…it sounds fantastic now. Throw any dirt pedal on…it’s near nirvana.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4072.jpg (58.5 KB, 28 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear that you're loving that Deluxe Reverb, Tony... it is a classic for very good reasons!!!

I love the vibrato/tremelo as well... love how it compresses the tone just a bit, and of course, the Fender reverb is what I always want to hear from a reverb and an electric guitar!

One cool thing to try (got this from an interview with G.E. Smith):

"Dime" the volume, dime the bass (!), turn the treble to zero - has a classic tone that I immediately recognized from many recordings. Just use the volume on the guitar to adjust to where you want it... my Deluxe reverb is a SF '76 and does not have a mid-range control - so I don't know what you'd do with that knob for this sound?

Keep having fun and enjoying that amp!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars