The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-07-2022, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Default SUV Tailgate Quandary

I got a kick out of this is all, so I thought I'd share it.

I bought a new Honda Passport a couple of years ago. I found one on the lot and bought it. It had everything I wanted. I paid cash. It didn't have all the package deals of items that didn't interest me. So, it doesn't have an automatic rear tailgate closer.

I bought groceries today and at times the people that carry them out and put them in my vehicle look for a closing button. Today being Saturday I got a young man helping me. He loaded my car and started looking for a closing button. I was curious as to what he would do so I was watching him. I finally called out to just close it. He was stumped and stood back with his hands in the air. I turned around in my seat and said just use your hand to close it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-07-2022, 03:13 PM

We recently bought a 2016 Honda Odyssey with the plan to remove the seats for camping. It has automatic everything including the automatic rear gate. My gripe is that it issues a warning "beep" when opening or closing automatically. Not ideal in a campground. Thankfully it can also be operated manually. I thought about finding and snipping the wire to the beeper but my mechanic warned that it might interfere with all the computerized warning systems. Blah...
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 05-07-2022, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

mmm, never heard;/seen a Honda passport.
Largest Honda in the UK is the CRV.

I looked up "passoprt" and it seems to be a rebadged Isuzu ?? large engine lumps, (3.2 litre?) Too big for general use in the UK - road tax and fuel costs would be horrendous!

I'm hanging on to my 2014 CRV-EX model. 2 litre but pretty thirsty as most Hondas are. It has the electric tailgate, but not the opening sunroof, re-introduced in 2020 (?)

BTW - we don't have people taking our groceries to our cars either - we take the trolley to the car. (or have deliveries).

I loaded up my gear including my Collings 0002h and my Waterloo this afternoon, and pulled out towards the exit of the hall car-park and heard a strange warning sound.
turns out I'd forgotten to close the tailgate!!!
Old 05-07-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
mmm, never heard;/seen a Honda passport.
Largest Honda in the UK is the CRV.

I looked up "passoprt" and it seems to be a rebadged Isuzu ?? large engine lumps, (3.2 litre?) Too big for general use in the UK - road tax and fuel costs would be horrendous!

I'm hanging on to my 2014 CRV-EX model. 2 litre but pretty thirsty as most Hondas are. It has the electric tailgate, but not the opening sunroof, re-introduced in 2020 (?)

BTW - we don't have people taking our groceries to our cars either - we take the trolley to the car. (or have deliveries).

I loaded up my gear including my Collings 0002h and my Waterloo this afternoon, and pulled out towards the exit of the hall car-park and heard a strange warning sound.
turns out I'd forgotten to close the tailgate!!!
Passport is a larger SUV, next size up from the CRV. Fairly popular in sales here but the CRV outsells it by a large margin.

No contact grocery delivery became common here during the pandemic. Send your order in through the store app then park and have a worker bring your groceries out and put them in your car. My oldest granddaughter works a Wal-Mart and that's her job.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:37 PM

I think Mr. Jelly is referring to his 3rd generation Passport which was reintroduced as a 2019 model. Basically a shorter Honda Pilot with no 3rd row seating, likely not available in the UK.

You are correct the 1st & 2nd gen Passports were rebadged Isuzu Rodeos as part of a agreement to exchange models. Isuzu received 1st gen Odyssey’s rebadged as Oasis & Honda got the Rodeo’s. I think Isuzu got the better deal as the Rodeo/Passport quality was not very good by Honda standards.
95 Ovation Custom Legend
Old 05-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyToonz View Post
We recently bought a 2016 Honda Odyssey with the plan to remove the seats for camping. It has automatic everything including the automatic rear gate. My gripe is that it issues a warning "beep" when opening or closing automatically. Not ideal in a campground. Thankfully it can also be operated manually. I thought about finding and snipping the wire to the beeper but my mechanic warned that it might interfere with all the computerized warning systems. Blah...
Your tech can easily disable that alarm but the threat of litigation means most of them won’t touch a safety alarm. Can’t blame them.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:11 AM

What year is your Passport? I had a 2010 Honda Odyssey LX for a number on years. The LX trim is the basic package and it had that auto lock function that I found annoying because in order to unlock any passenger doors I had to hit the unlock button on the fob twice. Now I have a 2021 Honda Pilot EX, which I love. EX is the second to lowest trim level it also has many of the standard auto lock functions, with a couple of bells and whistles added - such as an auto driver's door unlock/lock without having to use a button at all. During the height of the pandemic I made use of curbside pickup at many establishments and enjoyed having a button near my left knee to remotely open both the tailgate and the gas flap. IIRC the higher level trim packages have a feature that will open/close the tailgate if you kick the bumper.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I got a kick out of this is all, so I thought I'd share it.

I bought a new Honda Passport a couple of years ago. I found one on the lot and bought it. It had everything I wanted. I paid cash. It didn't have all the package deals of items that didn't interest me. So, it doesn't have an automatic rear tailgate closer.

I bought groceries today and at times the people that carry them out and put them in my vehicle look for a closing button. Today being Saturday I got a young man helping me. He loaded my car and started looking for a closing button. I was curious as to what he would do so I was watching him. I finally called out to just close it. He was stumped and stood back with his hands in the air. I turned around in my seat and said just use your hand to close it.
I wonder what he'd do with a rotary phone!
And PLEASE to any young members who are googling "rotary phone" please let us know!
Old 05-10-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

This is a 2019 Honda Passport. It's like an off-road version that is a touch shorter than the Pilots though they look alike. I got it when I retired for trips to Colorado. When I purchased it there were two additional packages that you could get on them. Each package was about $2,500 to $3,500. At the time I didn't think the auto tailgate was worth $2,500 extra. I am a little old school and the thought that it's just more to break down keeps popping up in my mind. I keep my cars as long as I can, I still have my Honda Element from 2007. It's got 80,000 miles on it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-10-2022, 07:41 AM

Well, I have never taken my groceries to my car with a trolley either...
Old 05-10-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
This is a 2019 Honda Passport. It's like an off-road version that is a touch shorter than the Pilots though they look alike. I got it when I retired for trips to Colorado. When I purchased it there were two additional packages that you could get on them. Each package was about $2,500 to $3,500. At the time I didn't think the auto tailgate was worth $2,500 extra. I am a little old school and the thought that it's just more to break down keeps popping up in my mind. I keep my cars as long as I can, I still have my Honda Element from 2007. It's got 80,000 miles on it.
So it's the same generation as my Pilot. It doesn't have a remote button on the driver's side armrest next to the gas flap button? It should still be a powered tailgate, even the LX.

https://owners.honda.com/utility/dow...r_Tailgate.pdf

Personally, I wouldn't give any grief to anybody who carries your groceries or packages out to your vehicle for you. That's just not nice.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Another blip in the dumbing down of the world, especially the Americanos.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:45 AM

To each their own. Chalk it down as a generational thing. What you may consider to be "bells and whistles" are actually intuitive tools for a new age - though I'll grant you that sometimes things can be overly complicated because of them. What is happening nowadays is that we're coming up against the limitations of the human brain's ability to multitask, resulting in more and more diagnoses of ADHD and other neurological disorders.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

My friends must really be geezers. I always have to yell "push the button not the door."
Old 05-10-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
IIRC the higher level trim packages have a feature that will open/close the tailgate if you kick the bumper.
I have that on my BMW wagon and absolutely love it. Open or close the tailgate with your hands full. Except, of course, when you accidentally flash your foot under the bumper when you didn't mean to and it opens in the middle of washing your car, or closes on top of you.

Man cars have a remote button inside to open the gate, but the NHTSA doesn't want to to accidentally close it on someone so it doesn't work to close. I had to reprogram the Bimmer on the sly to a European setting to make that work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic