The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-05-2022, 11:25 AM

Big fan of EC, but the r&r hof doesn't really mean much anymore, ec is awesome but she's not rock and roll.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I have my opinions on HOFs, awards, and the powers that grant them, but I shan’t divulge them here!

Any recognition that Libby Cotten gains is well-deserved, though. What a delightful lady!

Just for fun, when requests are solicited, I always ask for “Libby Cotten”, and many times have been shocked when the whole band can pull out Freight train! That earns the tip jar a Jackson!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
The R&R HOF Is def a joke. Anyone see Rush being inducted? Alex Leifson had the weirdest acceptance speech ever. Really stuck his finger in the eye of the HOF.

Steve Miller also dumped on the HOF when he was added.

And that building??

If I recall they have inducted many people that had nothing to do with R&R. Lots of Motown, Sinatra, etc.
I will concur that the Rolling Stone rag HOF is a joke and it took wayyy too long to recognize one of the greatest bands Rush (my fav band),and the greatest drummer ever peart (yes, rich,baker are on my list as well). But I was happy to see Libby get some recognition regardless of that.

besides watching rushs induction and speeches it is worthy to watch the annoucement at the gala.. the crowd gave a standing ovation for almost 20 minutes..with a lot of those standing as fellow musicians that were inspired to "pick up a pair of sticks and a rhyming dictionary and torment their parents as kids"- Neil Peart ( he was so eloquent and an amazing songwriter)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 05-05-2022, 06:31 PM

Three observations:

1. Nice to see Cotten get some recognition. I grew up with the "folk scare" so figures like Cotten are foundational to me, even if I didn't get to see most of them due to my low-budget and rural location.

2. "Halls of Fame" "Awards Shows" "Top 100 lists" etc are promotional things. Sure. Agreed. Yes, they can sometimes get tiresome or "what were they thinking" in making putative qualitative judgements on something as subjective as art. But...promotion is important to arts. If things like Halls of Fame didn't work as promotion often enough, no one would bother with the trouble. I'm as close to non-commercial as they come. My main musical work is in a narrow niche. And yet even I'll cut some institution trying to promote music some slack.

3. I know human's like to categorize and label and make fine distinctions. But I'm personally amused by folks who take Rock'n'Roll and try to make it into a narrower and narrower definition when it's always been a mutt--and that's a good deal of its charm to me. Genre arguments such as: Motown isn't rock'n'roll and Rush is. I'm sure there's a moot court case for that, but I hope we're all laughing as we try to make that argument, and afterward try to jam up a verson of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" in the style of Rush -- which would be a hell of lot more fun I'd think.

My final statement: Genre is Sun Ra's brother.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-07-2022, 02:13 PM

Default Elizabeth Cotten 2022 rock and roll hall of fame

Nah. I do tend to think there is such a thing as rock and roll. I think distinctions do often make sense.

Which is why Rush isn’t in the Country HOF, or the Blues HOF.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Nah. I do tend to think there is such a thing as rock and roll. I think distinctions do often make sense.

Which is why Rush isn’t in the Country HOF, or the Blues HOF.
Nope, it's obviously an anti-Canadian thing.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:14 AM

Rather than disparage the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame I have come to see it as a misnomer. The truest definition that would identify the artists in the genre would limit the membership significantly.
That being said, there are a lot of interesting things in the building that pay tribute to a plethora of artists.

Hey, it’s really nothing to get worked up about. Any type of recognition for the arts is subjective and certainly influenced by agendas, politics, money and on and on and on.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic