The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2022, 05:52 PM

I've had tinnitus for a number of years but never even thought about it being an issue with playing or singing.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:56 PM

Bummer for you guys , sorry it sucks.
I also have hyperacusis and that is new and havent left the house in over a week. Driving made it worse, but now I know it might have been using one ear plug or ear muffs.

Sound deprivation can make it worse. Im stuck at home and the last 1.5 years Iv been dealing with it and got a bit better in habituating to it. But then this new onset from drugs and the original source was ototoxic so I have to habituate again.

What I find so helpful are your stories. I had a salty soup and tonight my ears are ringing so thats a huge one, and I ate a lot of sugar. But am stopping those.

I have a little D1 Martin with xtra light D'Adario new coated string I like better than Elixors, so its kinda quit. Its the singing that worries me, coming from my mouth so close to ear.

I just saw some one selling a Telecaster Acustsonic I think its called. I would just get on of those tiny tiny amps as headphones people with Tinnitus arnt supposed to use.

After the vaccine and gene editing medicine is moving fast if there isnt a cure soon I bet they have a drug or procedure that reduces it with in the next 5 years or so. The problem is its a signal from the brain so you have to fix hearing but if that will fix T is unknown.

Peace all

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-04-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: family forum
Old 04-13-2022, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

My tinnitus has pretty much disappeared since I started wearing hearing aids. Best investment I've made in years.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Unfortunately my tinnitus took a spike and Im reactive to sounds.
Singing and playing guitar is not that loud but somewhat. I was wondering if anyone knew if its safe to sing (mostly being right next to your ear) and play acoustic guitar in a quite room say. Thanks all!
I do it just fine.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:32 PM

An exercice that helps against tinnitus is to focus on other sounds in your environment, it helps one to "forget" the tinnitus tone. One thing can be to sit quietly and play on your guitar and sing.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
An exercice that helps against tinnitus is to focus on other sounds in your environment, it helps one to "forget" the tinnitus tone. One thing can be to sit quietly and play on your guitar and sing.
Best thing was just that, for three songs I didnt hear it.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Like others in this thread, I have tinniutus, and have for years. And like many of you, I am aware there is no present cure for it. Or for hyperacusis. But in my recent deep dive on the subject, I came across studies that referenced the potential connection between low Vit B12 levels and tinnitus (See:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4918681/). Basically, the study focused on the relationship between those with tinnitus with co-existing Vit B12 deficits. And the takeaway:

A paired t-test showed that in Group A, patients with Vitamin B12 deficiency showed significant improvement in mean tinnitus severity index score and visual analog scale (VAS) after Vitamin B12 therapy. This pilot study highlights the significant prevalence of Vitamin B12 deficiency in North Indian population and improvement in tinnitus severity scores and VAS in cobalamin-deficient patients receiving intramuscular Vitamin B12 weekly for 6 weeks further provides a link between cobalamin deficiency and tinnitus thereby suggestive of a therapeutic role of B12 in cobalamin-deficient patients of tinnitus.

Do your own due dilligence. But if you happen to have a B12 deficiency (or even not), your tinnitus may be related to that. And if so, talk with your medical providers about a course of B12 supplements. They are cheap (less that $10) and, according to my reading, exceedingly safe, even at high doses. And if you are deficient you may be amazed at the increase in energy you will experience for this exogenous addition of Vit B12. Hope this helps.
David
Old 04-26-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Like others in this thread, I have tinniutus, and have for years. And like many of you, I am aware there is no present cure for it. Or for hyperacusis. But in my recent deep dive on the subject, I came across studies that referenced the potential connection between low Vit B12 levels and tinnitus (See:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4918681/). Basically, the study focused on the relationship between those with tinnitus with co-existing Vit B12 deficits. And the takeaway:

A paired t-test showed that in Group A, patients with Vitamin B12 deficiency showed significant improvement in mean tinnitus severity index score and visual analog scale (VAS) after Vitamin B12 therapy. This pilot study highlights the significant prevalence of Vitamin B12 deficiency in North Indian population and improvement in tinnitus severity scores and VAS in cobalamin-deficient patients receiving intramuscular Vitamin B12 weekly for 6 weeks further provides a link between cobalamin deficiency and tinnitus thereby suggestive of a therapeutic role of B12 in cobalamin-deficient patients of tinnitus.

Do your own due dilligence. But if you happen to have a B12 deficiency (or even not), your tinnitus may be related to that. And if so, talk with your medical providers about a course of B12 supplements. They are cheap (less that $10) and, according to my reading, exceedingly safe, even at high doses. And if you are deficient you may be amazed at the increase in energy you will experience for this exogenous addition of Vit B12. Hope this helps.
David

So this is true and they can test your b12 levels too. But theres a key issue that is different organs can be deficient although you test fine.

So I played today and got 70-85 db which is a little scary, no amp and not really belting it out. Have to use my Earasers plugs maybe
Old 04-26-2022, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHowdy View Post
You may want to consider going to an audiologist and see if a programmable hearing aid will help you. It certainly did for me.
Any good audiologist will have the latest technology offering.
I hardly notice my tinnitus while wearing and I have 2 settings...standard and music for when I'm playing.
+1 for this ^^^^^ (same for me)
Old 04-26-2022, 04:25 PM

Don't know, having never had a guitar with tinnitus.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 04-26-2022, 10:04 PM

I suppose we’re all different, but I’ve been living with, and playing guitar with tinnitus for more than a couple of decades now. I can’t say I wouldn’t prefer not to have it, but I encounter no danger due to the malady.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:33 PM

I did talk to my audiologist and thy said not to ave hearing aids as I have hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus. But I want one for masking when Im in quiet places.

Iv heard that when you sing your vocal chords and throat vibrate into your ear. So not to sing too loud.

Im glad you guys are still rocking with it. My case is kinda not so great, super sensitive. I cant drive in a car right now as mine spikes and doesnt seem to go down.

It would kill to never sing and play guitar. I did buy extra light electric A'Dario coated (like em better than elixirs) to quite down my little martin d1
Maybe focus on music theory and writing songs.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post

Iv heard that when you sing your vocal chords and throat vibrate into your ear. So not to sing too loud.

Absolutely. Have you heard your recorded voice?
People tell me that I sound good. I dislike hearing my own recorded voice because it is so different from what I normally hear. Your bones conduct your voice to your ears, and that makes a big difference in sound.

I believe my voice is better when not trying to be loud.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-02-2022, 11:33 PM

My tinnitus doesn’t get worse standing in front of my amp and my monitor, beside a drum kit and BEHIND a PA.
If I listen to someone else’s band I’m on the wrong side of the PA and my ears get worse and stay worse.
I imagine that playing an acoustic amplified at a volume that lets you hang onto it your tinnitus would be ok, BUT that’s just me.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:11 AM

My ears are ringing as I write this (5am) but have never been officially diagnosed with it. I notice it in the early morning hours when it’s really quiet and not much during the day. Hasn’t affected my ability to sing/play the guitar yet. Great info here on the subject though and I will try supplementing with B12 and maybe try lessening my sodium intake (maybe not the sodium, lol).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion