The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-08-2022, 09:53 AM

Default Fingerstyle from Zero?

Hi,

I've only been playing a few months now and poked my head into a half dozen beginner websites and working on chords.

But I'm a little frustrated because I'd really like to work on fingerstyle right away and most courses barely cover this and if they do it is late in the curriculum.

Does anybody know of any online lessons that introduce this right away while learning the chords?

Thanks in advance and much appreciated!
Old 03-08-2022, 10:08 AM

THis is the first song learned. It will take you a while to work your way through the lessons, but it will become more natural as you go.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/28252/...-rider-1-of-8/

Have fun.

Last edited by pszy22; 03-08-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:15 AM

Best thing you can do is to start working on finger independence right away...as you learn chords, arpeggiate them, play patterns, etc...

Unfortunately "fingerstyle" is a broad, multi-meaning term...when someone uses it, I can have a general idea of what they're after, but Andy McKee is vastly different from Ralph Towner is vastly different James Taylor is vastly different from Elizabeth Cotten...

There is a LOT to be gleaned from a classical guitar method. And since you're just starting out, it will teach you in a structured style that will teach you to read music too-- a real gift. Pumping Nylon is outstanding--and it's not just for nylon strings...and Frederick Noad's method is outstanding...finding a teacher is important--there's many things in classical instruction that as a steel string player you don't need to adopt--but there's also a ton of really great technique builders.

You're actually in a great position as a raw beginner-- no preconcieved notions or bad habits!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-08-2022, 10:51 AM

I think one of the first questions you should answer is, "What genre of music are you looking to play?"

FWIW, I started learning classical guitar and expanded into fingerstyle. I'm not much of a strummer.

Some useful vids:

SKY GUITAR

IBANEZ TABLAB SERIES FEATURING SEIJI IGUSA

INTRO TO ANDY MCKEE'S "FINGERSTYLE FOUNDATIONS"

Old 03-08-2022, 10:54 AM

If you are interested in Blues, I would highly recommend David Hamburger's Fretboard Confidential YouTube channel. He has a series of videos called six steps to playing fingerstyle blues that is an excellent on ramp. If you like his style and this kind of blues, then his Fingerstyle Five membership is a great way to develop and improve. https://www.fretboardconfidential.com/fingerstyle-five
Old 03-08-2022, 10:57 AM

There are many, many good videos out there to help you.

Just to pick one at random, this is a lesson on "Landslide" (Fleetwood Mac). Basically Travis picking that helps with thumb independence.

https://guitarlessons365.com/fleetwo...guitar-lesson/

Simple, yet challenging when you're starting out. Lindsey Buckingham (who wrote it) also has a video, but you need to skip to the second half unless you like to hear him talk.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:08 AM

Does it have to be online? I have a number of books that include CDs to go along with the instructional material.

Personally, since you're just starting out, I might suggest you start at the proper beginning:

William Leavitt's "A Modern Method For Guitar Vol. 1". (Berklee Press). My very advanced Jazz Guitar teacher/player recommends it to every student regardless of how long they've been playing. It covers everything: scales, theory, rhythm, fingering, etc.

Afterwards, find yourself a nice instructional fingerstyle book. I kind of like "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues (with CD)" by Arnie Berle and Mark Galbo. But then, I like the blues!
Old 03-08-2022, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Tom is a great teacher and his split camera screen really helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
THis is the first song learned. It will take you a while to work your way through the lessons, but it will become more natural as you go.

Have fun.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeasantDaughter View Post
Hi,

I've only been playing a few months now and poked my head into a half dozen beginner websites and working on chords.
But I'm a little frustrated because I'd really like to work on fingerstyle right away and most courses barely cover this and if they do it is late in the curriculum.
Does anybody know of any online lessons that introduce this right away while learning the chords?
Thanks in advance and much appreciated!
To get an idea of what you are aiming for fingerstyle wise post a link or two or three to (probably ones on youtube) straight forward (nothing too fancy) solo fingerstyle pieces you like and would like to be able to play say sometime later this year.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-08-2022, 01:14 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Fingerpicking.../dp/0785826793

This book covers a lot of ground and is well worth a try.

It's arranged in bite sized lessons that cover new patterns and works up to keystones pieces using the learned patterns. Like I said it covers a lot of patterns that cover a wide range of styles. Excellent book.

Last edited by erhino41; 03-08-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Adam Rafferty is a really good teacher, step by step and very clear explanations. Here is his udemy.com course:

https://www.udemy.com/course/fingers...otal-beginner/

Udemy often has sales where you can get these courses for around $10 or so.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 PM

Thank you!!!!
Old 03-08-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post

Have fun.
Thank you!!!
Old 03-08-2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Best thing you can do is to start working on finger independence right away...as you learn chords, arpeggiate them, play patterns, etc...

...You're actually in a great position as a raw beginner-- no preconcieved notions or bad habits!
Thank you - I've put Pumping Nylon in my shopping cart, even though I have steel strings. Also I love Frederick Noad's ancient website. I think there's a wealth of knowledge buried in those old formats, and that's an impressive list of songs learned by each lesson!

It just makes sense to me to introduce finger independence, as you say, earlier rather than later...
Old 03-08-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I think one of the first questions you should answer is, "What genre of music are you looking to play?"

FWIW, I started learning classical guitar and expanded into fingerstyle. I'm not much of a strummer.
Somewhere between these beginner courses that feel like a lobotomy and fans shredding covers of guitar legends and the church of caged is a path to skill and mastery and expression. I just like the zen of fingerstyle, and the direct transfer of energy, the little I have tried of it. Really not feeling the pick or strumming. I lost my voice and I'm not a performer and there's no campfires. Just want to feel beautiful sounds coming out of that wooden box with strings is all. Folk, blues, classical, latin - it doesn't matter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write