The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2022, 11:23 AM

What do you mean by akuIR technology?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-07-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
this comparison video conviced me to buy Optima Air

Now I am not so happy that IR level is not true Blend
because for akuIR technology is absolutely crucial
when I set IR level for minimum, this is still too much of IR in sound,
I will do more test with own impulses
(which are another crucial point, always much better than any external )
Yep, I am the same. I listened to that video and found the Optima Air to be the most pleasing. I really wish they had included a blend. It seems like such a necessary feature with IR technology.

I am still really hoping for an update to the Aura Spectrum.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
What do you mean by akuIR technology?
Impulse Response for acoustic guitar.
Of course in principles is same, but in details is different from IR guitar speaker simulation etc
Old 01-07-2022, 05:13 PM

FWIW, the Optima Air does have an Aux In jack. It might be useful to send in a dry mag (second pickup) signal through the Aux In if the full IR is too wet sounding for the user's taste, or extra feedback-free gain is needed for bare-fingered picking in a high volume setting.

To my ear, the J15 is the driest sounding stock IR. For absolute best results, however, I may have to bypass the OA's preamp and use my Zoom A1 Four for EQ and volume control. I'm thinking that the A1 Four's more precise EQ can do a better job of bringing up the J15's low bass while keeping the low mid's under control. Some experimenting will tell. I'm hoping my user created IRs (when I finally get some good ones) will be fairly dry also.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:25 AM

I wrote to NUX support (about too wet IR) and they answered

You may return your Optima Air to the store where you made the purchase as we will not make any change in regard with the problem you mentioned.
Something we want to make it clear: the ugly truth is that there is no IR profile starts at 0ms which means that there won't be any wet signal available for the blend which can cause something weird(similar to what is called "OUT of PHASE").

So for me will be much easier to go to Line6 HX FX with own impulses
Old 01-16-2022, 08:05 AM

Listen to NuX Optima Air User Created IR Test by guitaniac on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/xQdWN

After a week of fooling around with the stock IRs, I finally got around to creating a better user IR for the guitar which I've been experimenting with. At this point I have to agree with the conventional wisdom since I'm preferring the user IR to any of the factory IRs. Sound samples above.

When running to my SoloAmp, I've noticed that the amplified sound gets muddy when cranking the sound level past a certain point. The Optima Air preamp's three knob EQ works well for making "quick and dirty" adjustments to the sound when raising the sound level past a certain point. Admittedly, ToneDexter's and Voiceprint's single anti-feedback knob is a more elegant and simple solution, but the Optima Air's onboard EQ can handle the job.

The most practical live sound setup for me will be to have my Zoom A1 Four on the floor (for basic EQ settings for the corresponding IRs) and the Optima Air closer at hand on a stool for quick EQ adjustments and being able to read it's tiny display window. For quick setups the Optima Air by itself will be adequate. It's easy enough to set the presets for mute (until the gain knob is moved) and the preset EQs which work best with a particular IR at a moderate sound level. It's also possible to create a flat IR preset (from an unused user sample) so you can switch to the dry pickup sound if/when needed.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:26 AM

Does the Optima Air allow for creation of multiple custom guitar IR profiles? It's not clear reading the manual or website. If I take two guitars to a gig, I want to be able to switch between each custom profile like you can with the Tonedexter or Baggs Voiceprint. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisserger View Post
Does the Optima Air allow for creation of multiple custom guitar IR profiles? It's not clear reading the manual or website. If I take two guitars to a gig, I want to be able to switch between each custom profile like you can with the Tonedexter or Baggs Voiceprint. Thanks!
You can save 23 custom IRs on the Optima Air. When you record your own IR it only allows you to save in the final 8 slots since the first 15 are filled with preset IRs. But you can save over the default presets with the software anytime you want to giving you 23 custom slots. (you can revert to default settings if you save over presets and want to go back to factory settings)

You can also save your recorded IRs to your computer giving you the ability to record as many as you want. Once saved to your computer you can re-upload them later.

The best thing about the Optima Air (over other IR pedals) is the computer software and ability to customize however you want. I've had the best success uploading 3rd party IRs. I don't have the best recording mic, so my own recordings didn't sound as good as ones I found online an uploaded to the Optima Air. I've filled the pedal with different IRs to A/B test and find the one that sounds the best with each of my guitars.

Just a warning that you will likely spend hours messing around with IRs. It's a bit of a rabbit hole. Each IR sounds very different depending on the guitar, pickup and speaker/PA being used. But the end result is I am very happy with the sound of each of my guitars when playing live through my Optima Air to a Bose L1 PA.
McConnell MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 10-06-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder View Post
You can save 23 custom IRs on the Optima Air. When you record your own IR it only allows you to save in the final 8 slots since the first 15 are filled with preset IRs. But you can save over the default presets with the software anytime you want to giving you 23 custom slots. (you can revert to default settings if you save over presets and want to go back to factory settings)

You can also save your recorded IRs to your computer giving you the ability to record as many as you want. Once saved to your computer you can re-upload them later.

The best thing about the Optima Air (over other IR pedals) is the computer software and ability to customize however you want. I've had the best success uploading 3rd party IRs. I don't have the best recording mic, so my own recordings didn't sound as good as ones I found online an uploaded to the Optima Air. I've filled the pedal with different IRs to A/B test and find the one that sounds the best with each of my guitars.

Just a warning that you will likely spend hours messing around with IRs. It's a bit of a rabbit hole. Each IR sounds very different depending on the guitar, pickup and speaker/PA being used. But the end result is I am very happy with the sound of each of my guitars when playing live through my Optima Air to a Bose L1 PA.

Wow! Thanks for the great info. Certainly worth considering. Especially given that you can’t even find a Tonedexter if you want one right now.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:47 AM

I would be all over the Optima Air if it had a proper blend knob. I feel like this was such a huge oversight on the part of NUX. I think what a lot of us have discovered is that a 100% IR is an issue live.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:47 PM

The math to put blend into the IR itself is pretty trivial. Send me a recording and I will send you a selection of blended IRs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-10-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Yep, I am the same. I listened to that video and found the Optima Air to be the most pleasing. I really wish they had included a blend. It seems like such a necessary feature with IR technology.

I am still really hoping for an update to the Aura Spectrum.
I have no doubt that a "son of Spectrum" is in the works as we speak. For me, I'm still using my pre-production, Beta test Aura Spectrum, that I've had forever. For me, it is still the best box, and like most other guitar players, I've tried lots of others!!!
In fairness, I have had the Spectrum SO long, played SO many gigs with it, have been totally satisfied with my live sound, that anything that doesn't sound like what I'm used to gets dinged (by me). In the wine business, we call that the "house palate"
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 10-18-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I would be all over the Optima Air if it had a proper blend knob. I feel like this was such a huge oversight on the part of NUX. I think what a lot of us have discovered is that a 100% IR is an issue live.
I was initially annoyed by this because I assumed the "IR Level" knob was a blend knob. It ended up not to be a problem like I thought it would. I found IRs on Cuki's website that sound amazing at 100% through the Optima Air. Since the pickup doesn't really add to the tone we're looking for, it was better to find (or record) the perfect IR for each guitar when blended at 100%.

I'll admit that it does take a lot of trial and error to land on the ideal IR, but I think it was worth the time.

The biggest negative to not having a blend knob is the ability to adjust in a live performance setting. But because I am a solo performer using my own PA system there isn't a need for me to adjust it when I play live.
McConnell MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 10-19-2022, 05:53 AM

Is anyone using a splitter and sending one signal to their IR device and another direct to their mixer. I was wondering if it were possible to blend it this way with the original signal?
Old 10-19-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Is anyone using a splitter and sending one signal to their IR device and another direct to their mixer. I was wondering if it were possible to blend it this way with the original signal?
Yes. I do this. Routing through my Soundcraft UI24 mixer. I send a direct signal into mixer and route one of the monitor sends back through a Nux Optima back into another channel in mixer. Works quite well. YMMV

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification