The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2022, 08:25 AM

Default Cheapest "decent" acoustic pickup?

I have a guitar that I only play occasionally for bad weather gigs and want to replace the sonitone pickup in it. Is there anything decent for around $100?
I was thinking maybe a used Baggs Element from somewhere? A new Element is $179 and if I'm gonna spend that much I may as well get the Anthem SL for $199.
Also....is there a difference between the regular Element (just volume control) and the Element VTC (volume & tone) besides the obvious?
Old 10-14-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I have a guitar that I only play occasionally for bad weather gigs and want to replace the sonitone pickup in it. Is there anything decent for around $100?
I was thinking maybe a used Baggs Element from somewhere? A new Element is $179 and if I'm gonna spend that much I may as well get the Anthem SL for $199.
Also....is there a difference between the regular Element (just volume control) and the Element VTC (volume & tone) besides the obvious?
Although I haven't tried one, the JourneyTek three-disc (K&K-like) transducer gets some decent reviews. $49.99 https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...guitar-pickup/

The Element VTC, along with its Volume and Tone controls has built-in low-frequency compression. https://www.lrbaggs.com/acoustic-gui...ystems/element

Element VTC
Volume, Tone, and Compression
Multi-band compression has long been a secret of mastering rooms worldwide to unlock the warmth and natural dynamics of recorded instruments. The Element VTC’s all-discrete, Class A preamp leverages this studio elixir with a proprietary analog compressor that operates below 400Hz. The compressor is tuned to reflect the actual dynamics of the acoustic guitar, creating in live performance the superior warmth and natural balance of tone achieved in professional studio mastered sound. Includes soundhole mounted volume and treble tone controls.

Built-in LF compressor

Soundhole mounted volume and tone control

Model available for nylon string guitars
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-14-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Although I haven't tried one, the JourneyTek three-disc (K&K-like) transducer gets some decent reviews. $49.99 https://journeyinstruments.com/produ...guitar-pickup/

The Element VTC, along with its Volume and Tone controls has built-in low-frequency compression. https://www.lrbaggs.com/acoustic-gui...ystems/element

Element VTC
Volume, Tone, and Compression
Multi-band compression has long been a secret of mastering rooms worldwide to unlock the warmth and natural dynamics of recorded instruments. The Element VTC’s all-discrete, Class A preamp leverages this studio elixir with a proprietary analog compressor that operates below 400Hz. The compressor is tuned to reflect the actual dynamics of the acoustic guitar, creating in live performance the superior warmth and natural balance of tone achieved in professional studio mastered sound. Includes soundhole mounted volume and treble tone controls.

Built-in LF compressor

Soundhole mounted volume and tone control

Model available for nylon string guitars
I'm not to keen on the K&K type pickups for live use...I think I would prefer something else. Looks like the Element VTC is a decent pickup but if I'm going to spend $170, I may as well get an Anthem SL, right?
Old 10-14-2022, 01:29 PM

You can get a Martin thinline 332 for $130.00 on Amazon. I put one in an Epiphone Masterbuilt a few years ago. Just a passive pickup with no controls.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not to keen on the K&K type pickups for live use...I think I would prefer something else. Looks like the Element VTC is a decent pickup but if I'm going to spend $170, I may as well get an Anthem SL, right?
I'd say probably I'd choose the Anthem SL over the Element VTC. I currently have the Element-related pickups installed in two guitars: a 2022 RainSong BI-DR1000N2 with Element Stage Pro and a 2019 Emerald X20 with the Element VTC. I prefer the amplified tone of the RainSong/Element Stage Pro over the amplified tone of the Emerald X20/Element VTC. The RainSong/Element Stage Pro sounds clearer and less muddy. The Emerald X20/Element VTC is usable but I think I need to go in and do some more saddle work to better balance the amplified tone. When I received the Emerald it was a lot worse for string-to-string amplified imbalance and the first thing I did was check the bottom of the saddle and the bottom of the saddle-slot. I leveled both but need to do a little more.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-14-2022, 01:39 PM

Here’s a Schatten UST for around $80.00. https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Not sure what you might be looking for. There seem to be few options, other than used, for that price range.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Here’s a Schatten UST for around $80.00. https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Not sure what you might be looking for. There seem to be few options, other than used, for that price range.
I concur, the passive Schatten UST might be a decent choice and likely as good as a Fishman Matrix or LR Baggs Element. The Schatten will require a preamp for best performance.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-14-2022, 02:49 PM

How about going a different route...get the LR Baggs Voiceprint DI and use it with all your guitars.

It made my Fishman equipped Ibanez, which I replaced the OE pickup with a slightly better one from GFS, sound like a $2500 guitar plugged in. ZERO QUACK.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:11 PM

Buying the "cheapest" will accomplish a sound that is...the "cheapest"
You already have a "cheap" pickup (The Sonitone).
Based on what you are plugging in to, it will sound shockingly crappy or pretty good.
Why do want a better "cheap" pickup?
This is kind of like being "almost pregnant".

PS. The pickup itself is just ONE part of a sonic chain. To blame crappy tone on just the pickup when the rest of the chain is substandard is unfair. What are you plugging in to? Are you pre-amping the Sonitone? Etc...
There's a zillion guitars out there with Sonitone pickups in them. Many sound like crap. And many sound good, based on how the user is treating them.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 10-14-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I won't make a suggestion since you don't like K&K style pickups.

I had a Baggs Element and couldn't get it out fast enough. You may have a more receptive ear.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
How about going a different route...get the LR Baggs Voiceprint DI and use it with all your guitars.

It made my Fishman equipped Ibanez, which I replaced the OE pickup with a slightly better one from GFS, sound like a $2500 guitar plugged in. ZERO QUACK.
Tried the Voiceprint and while it gives you a sound like a mic’d guitar, I didn’t like it for live sound. The VP and most other IR type pedals give you an airy, distant quality to your tone that I don’t prefer for live play.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Buying the "cheapest" will accomplish a sound that is...the "cheapest"
You already have a "cheap" pickup (The Sonitone).
Based on what you are plugging in to, it will sound shockingly crappy or pretty good.
Why do want a better "cheap" pickup?
This is kind of like being "almost pregnant".

PS. The pickup itself is just ONE part of a sonic chain. To blame crappy tone on just the pickup when the rest of the chain is substandard is unfair. What are you plugging in to? Are you pre-amping the Sonitone? Etc...
There's a zillion guitars out there with Sonitone pickups in them. Many sound like crap. And many sound good, based on how the user is treating them.
The rest of my signal chain is fine. I use a Acoustic Flyrig and other pedals. I’m not looking for the cheapest pickup, just something better than what I have but at a reasonable price. I disagree about making a guitar with a Sonitone sound good. Sure you can EQ it and add IRs but I still think a guitar with a Sonitone can only get you so far.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:47 AM

My thought would be dont be in a hurry.
Save your money ..buy a good quality pickup.
I use a sunrise. Its surprisingly non-magnetic sounding...but there are hundreds of good quality acoustic guitar pups out there..
Old 10-15-2022, 07:39 PM

Duplicate post please delete..
Old 10-15-2022, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Assuming you have a Preamp of some sort on the floor, my best live sound was a Baggs M1 Passive in my D15. Used they are $100.

I’m a big fan of the Baggs Element VTC, and always have been. The VTC really only adds the tone control over the Element. I find it has less quack than the Sonitone, for example.

My K&K equipped guitars work well with the Red Eye. Not cheap though.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 10-16-2022 at 03:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification