The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2021, 08:16 AM

Can't wait to try this system out. Love my JBL compact.

Last edited by JackB1; 08-16-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The line input jacks on the original Eon One also had little volume. Useless.
Not if you use a pre amp for your guitar.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
Not if you use a pre amp for your guitar.
My guitars have built in preamps, so false.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
My guitars have built in preamps, so false.
I have used an Eon One for five years now and true in my case. I don't use onboard pre amps. Maybe that is why.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
I have used an Eon One for five years now and true in my case. I don't use onboard pre amps. Maybe that is why.
I never tried the Eon One. Does it not have a mic/line switch like the Compact? I always use the Compact on mic to get the additional gain.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:38 PM

Yes it does have the mic/line switch. I use the mic setting for my mike but line setting for my guitar with K&k with .Fishman preamp. The mic setting for that is way too much.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I never tried the Eon One. Does it not have a mic/line switch like the Compact? I always use the Compact on mic to get the additional gain.

Only on 2 channels. With my duo, I need 2 mics and 1 guitar. The line input channel didn’t have enough gain so I had to use my T1 mixer.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 PM

I think JBL let their customers down with the FIASCO of the JBL EON One Pro.
It wasn't only the preamp issues. Battery issues were common - dead right out of the box. The unit ran toaster hot to the touch. After numerous customer complaints JBL did nothing and kept selling a faulty product for years. I can't see QSC or Yamaha which have 6+ years warranty not backing up their customers. JBL Compact was a better product. Just giving people a heads up buying a new line from JBL. I would wait for the positive reviews before putting my $$ down.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

My local GC just got the PRX in. I got to demo it briefly with my iPhone, playing some acoustic music similar to what I do (guitar and vocals only) via Bluetooth. I also played the same music through the Bose L1 Pro 16. To my ears the JBL sounded a little more “forward” and “aggressive” vs the Bose, which sounded a little warmer and “softer”, which is more what I’m after. I also noticed the difference in the 120 degree (JBL) vs 180 degree (Bose) units as I walked around the room. Neither unit is super portable, but I expect they would cover a lot of gigging situations without lacking power (but both could be overkill). Obviously the feature set of the JBL is way more comprehensive, which is attractive. The JBL reminded me a bit of the EV systems that strike me as more suitable for DJ’s vs solo acoustic performance. Of course this isn’t a “real word” review as it was just a quick listen via Bluetooth with no tweaking of the settings, and not with my actual rig. I was tempted to pick up the JBL (and still am) as I have a discount coupon that unfortunately ends today, given GC’s generous return policy which would allow me time to mess with it at home. But it left me wondering if the Bose might be better sound and dispersion wise for my application? Looking forward to more real world reviews and demos.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:48 AM

Seems JBL and EV arrays have more of a PA sound, compared to Bose which is more smooth HIfi.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Seems JBL and EV arrays have more of a PA sound, compared to Bose which is more smooth HIfi.
I sometimes wonder if a subwoofer is a plus for acoustic guitar and vocals only? I know I don’t care for them for a club PA when I gig with my band. Thoughts?
Old 09-03-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I sometimes wonder if a subwoofer is a plus for acoustic guitar and vocals only? I know I don’t care for them for a club PA when I gig with my band. Thoughts?
I often run the HPF at 80-120hz anyway so not really but it depends on how you play, how much low end you like and obviously if you have a bassist or kick drum pedal with you it could sound incredible.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:21 AM

Default New PA system from JBL - PRX One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I often run the HPF at 80-120hz anyway so not really but it depends on how you play, how much low end you like and obviously if you have a bassist or kick drum pedal with you it could sound incredible.

Yes, for the most part, a high pass filter is a necessity when you run acoustic guitar through any sort of subwoofer.

Last edited by lkingston; 09-03-2021 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Fixed incorrect wording.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I love having a sub since I use a beat buddy for drums and it really helps the bass drum thump. The low E string on an acoustic typically is around 82 Hz, so if you play solo, you want all the low frequencies you can get without feedback or excessive boomy-ness, so the sub will enhance that.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I love having a sub since I use a beat buddy for drums and it really helps the bass drum thump. The low E string on an acoustic typically is around 82 Hz, so if you play solo, you want all the low frequencies you can get without feedback or excessive boomy-ness, so the sub will enhance that.
Thanks—good to know. I’m really looking for full and warm with good coverage, and nothing that will punish those seated up close—but then aren’t we all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification