The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2020, 03:46 AM

Default Floating pickup choices for K&K definity?

Ok. Ive installed the K&K definity pickup connected to the stereo plug. My archtop has a Kent Armstrong Slimbucker in the neck. Since my german archtop has a super radiused fretboard i am going to need adjustable pole pieces AND a shallow size (like the slimbucker). Options: Kent Armstrong handmade single coil w adjustable pole pieces, shallow or the PAF 12 pole version. Pricey and from the US (im in Europe close to the UK (northern ireland), so import tax. Could be over $200.
Guild Rhythm Chief 1100. Much cheaper but i have disgarded these types now.

Mmm. Any thoughts? I do not really want to go mini humbucker and keep it single coil unless it has a low output function and is shallow. The mini humbucker Johnny Smith pickups are just a tiny bit too deep (12mm) but are low output.Kent Armstrong 'jazzy Joe' is quite cheap. The Bartolini 5J however is a tad more shallow and might work, but has no polepieces.
Im edging towards a P90/ Charlie Christian sound but those pickups are too deep.
Any help w be greatly appreciated.

An extra thought: since i already have a soundboard transducer (K&K) to pick up the 'natural' acoustic vibrations of the top i feel i probably do not need the 'natural' sounding magnetic pickup as much and have more of the direct string sound added. Ie, potted single/humbucker in a floating system.
Or do i?

Last edited by ballynally; 12-28-2020 at 06:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification