The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2020, 12:30 PM

I'm extremely unhappy with mine to the point of wanting to get a better guitar but COVID has been very unkind to full-time musicians
Old 12-05-2020, 03:30 PM

I'm pretty happy with mine for now. I mainly use a Crafter GA6 fitted with a Shadow SH141 pickup, running straight into either a Marshall AS50D, or the house PA. For live streaming I now run it into a Soundcraft Signature 12MTK mixer, and usually add a Rode M2 condenser mic to the mix. I also use a Yamaha G230 classical with an iRig Acoustic Stage clip on mic, but find the iRig a bit fiddly and feedback prone so am looking at replacing it with a JJB soundboard transducer.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:02 PM

Extremely happy with any acoustic I've had in the last 15 years with a K&K Pure Mini and plugged into a variety of amplification, from a combo amp to a DI feeding a large PA.

I really like the simplicity of not needing a bunch of other peripheral equipment or something that accepts my guitar and then spits out a image of the guitar that's been modeled from a microphone. That's just me, though.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm very happy. Fishman Blackstack>Fishman ToneDEQ>QSC CP-8 or a Schertler Jam 400.

I'd been a Sunrise user for many years but found I prefer the Blackstack by a small margin.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

I am exceedingly happy with my amplified sound; Martin DC-18E w/ Baggs Anthem, Bose L1 Pro 8, Neunaber Seraphim Shimmer Reverb, Baggs Align Session. I use an Xotic effects RC Boost for clean boost for solo's on occasion.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-06-2020, 12:35 AM

Yes, I am happy.

I guess I could easily add an internal mic to my setup, the Sunnaudio MS2 has that ability. I have decided that wasn’t necessary. My Dazzo is close to mic like on its own. No need to mess with it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy my amplified sound, I better because it’s my job! 🤣
After years of trial and gear, I found a happy place with my combo of:
MIJ Pro 3 & Signature Series Takamines going direct along with my vocals into a Fishman Loudbox Performer or Artist. I use medium 80/20 strings; either Darco or Earthwood, and Ultex 1.14 or Primetone 1.4 or BC TAD 50 picks depending on song. (I use my picks as additional means of EQ) Done! It works for what I do really well.

Here's a very recent example from my show last week that I posted in another thread using just the above combo:

Last edited by noledog; 12-07-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:27 PM

I have to admit, I was rather surprised with how many responses have people who are happy with their tone. I was expecting the opposite, but perhaps that's for the electric guitar forums' "tone seekers" LOL.

I'm impressed and happy for you all!

I was kinda happy with mine, messed with some IR pedals and probably made it worse, and am now experimenting with an LR Baggs Voiceprint to reclaim a more natural live sound.

I guess we'll see...
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 12-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Yes. The audience, my fellow players and myself are all happy with my choice of instrument (fiddle, mandolin, banjo or guitar) equipped with a JJB PPS 220 into my Carvin AG300 set to HI Z.

If I'm playing into a house sound system I use the RedEye fireye between my instrument and the house board. Yes it really can be that simple.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:30 PM

I have a K&K pickup in my HD-28V and I play through a ToneDexter. I'm very happy with the sound played through most PA systems, including my own, which is either a Behringer x1204USB analog mixer or XR18 digital mixer, through a pair of Behringer B208D powered speakers.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15 PM

I'm happy with mine (for the moment), but I play solo fingerstyle when I'm not doing an electric band gig. I think it's way easier to get a solo guitar to sound good than the guys who have to do a guitar and vocals though. Sometimes I hear an amp and think to myself "wow! That sounds really good!" Then I hear guitar and vocals through the same amp and it's not so great.

I heard a guy a while back that sounded great. He was running an amp, AER I think, for guitar and had a small QSC PA that only ran vocals. It sounded great, but it was not super loud. I often think the 2 require different systems to sound their best? Plus it needs to be at controlled volumes.

I'll be the first to admit, however, mine is a pleasing sound, but it's not "my guitar only louder". The only time I've heard "my guitar only louder" was seeing David Russel do a classical concert. They had 2 studio grade mics aprox 8 feet away and roughly the same distance apart, in a quiet concert hall.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
I have to admit, I was rather surprised with how many responses have people who are happy with their tone. I was expecting the opposite, but perhaps that's for the electric guitar forums' "tone seekers" LOL.

I'm impressed and happy for you all!

I was kinda happy with mine, messed with some IR pedals and probably made it worse, and am now experimenting with an LR Baggs Voiceprint to reclaim a more natural live sound.

I guess we'll see...
I was as surprised as you as well!!
Old 12-08-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
MIJ Pro 3 & Signature Series Takamines going direct along with my vocals into a Fishman Loudbox Performer or Artist. I use medium 80/20 strings; either Darco or Earthwood, and Ultex 1.14 or Primetone 1.4 or BC TAD 50 picks depending on song. (I use my picks as additional means of EQ) Done! It works for what I do really well.

Here's a very recent example from my show last week that I posted in another thread using just the above combo:

Amazing rendition...really enjoyed that!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post

Sir that really is amazing!!!
Old 12-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBuckner Music View Post
Amazing rendition...really enjoyed that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
Sir that really is amazing!!!
Thank you gentlemen!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification