The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-07-2022, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Taylor sure builds beautiful guitars ! And that's one of them. I find myself mainly playing one of my wood guitars these days, which seems to make it extra special when I do take the Sable out on the deck and play. Always a good feeling when I hear how good those CF guitars sound and play. Enjoy !! Is that a 352 ?
Old 05-07-2022, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
That’s a rather nice looking 12er you have there, Jim - I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun with it. After all, you wouldn’t want the CF collection to start feeling too secure and complacent, would you?

My little Amicus has scratched my 12-string itch for now, but I have to admit that X7-12 got me thinking…

P.S. After looking at the photos more closely, it looks for all the world as if it’s strung like a Rickenbacker 12, with the octaves below the mains. Is that the case, or are my eyes deceiving me?
Hi David - yes, it is "reverse strung"... or properly strung, depending on your background. The fundamental string is above. Different from the rest of the Taylor 12-strings and a nice feature (to me). The saddle is quite unique with the way it is compensated. Nice intonation up the neck.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Taylor sure builds beautiful guitars ! And that's one of them. I find myself mainly playing one of my wood guitars these days, which seems to make it extra special when I do take the Sable out on the deck and play. Always a good feeling when I hear how good those CF guitars sound and play. Enjoy !! Is that a 352 ?
Not a 352. I do like the 352, but this is the 652ce WHB (Wild Honey Burst) Builder's Edition. The Builder's Edition gets you the beveled arm rest and beveled cutaway; champfered edges all around, including the fretboard; torrified spruce top, flamed maple back and sides, reversed strung (fundamental string on top, octave string below - like an electric 12-string).

Today, before the new guitar arrived, I was playing my X7 (previous generation), still one of my favorite guitars.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:14 AM

It's all good Captain. The guitar I'm eyeing right now isn't carbon either. Seems that those of us who post here on the subforum just like guitars no matter what they are made of. Anyway, gorgeous choice and you haven't strayed too far. Taylor is about as forward thinking the traditional guitar builders can be. I bet those notes just ring clear and true with V-Class bracing
Old 05-09-2022, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
It's all good Captain. The guitar I'm eyeing right now isn't carbon either. Seems that those of us who post here on the subforum just like guitars no matter what they are made of. Anyway, gorgeous choice and you haven't strayed too far. Taylor is about as forward thinking the traditional guitar builders can be. I bet those notes just ring clear and true with V-Class bracing
It is a sweet sounding/playing guitar. After playing it today, I thought it needed a decent photo shoot...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2022/05/photo-shoot.html

Shot with my phone and available light. Here's a preview...

On the CF side, the X7 got a fresh set of strings today, trying some lights on it.

What do people who don't play guitar do to occupy their time?
Old 10-13-2022, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Not even "on a tangent," but I did start the thread. We have been gone for just over 3 months, out in our motorhome, going where the motorcycle riding is good. We just got back last week, and I have had other things going (always takes a while to get the house opened back up and the motorhome put away)... I got my music room set up this afternoon.

The guitars spend their time in an "undisclosed location" that is climate controlled. I did leave my X7 at the house, as it came down to that or the Taylor I bought right before we left. The tuning on the X7 was right on, after sitting for 3 months. Bringing the X20 and X10 in, they were both in tune. An SG (yes, an electric) wasn't even close to being in tune.

But, the really horrifying situation: while putting away guitar cases, the Blonde (who is always a guitar buying enabler) said to me, "We have one guitar case too many - I can't make these all fit."

There is a solution... and it doesn't require getting rid of any guitars. It may be a technicality, but she did say "case"... and I have a couple guitars that I have a hard shell case and a nice gig bag for. Odds are pretty good I won't miss one of those cases.

Nice to have some variety again on what to play.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Jim, thanks for the beautiful photos which struck me to immediately think: Taylor builds beautiful guitars!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-14-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Yeh, Taylor makes great guitars; but come on guys. This is the Carbon Fiber Forum...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-14-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

There was a time I was a Gibson guitar guy. Then, as I moved more to the acoustic side, I moved toward being a Taylor guitar guy (after trying a bunch of different acoustics). I liked my rosewood and spruce, but also appreciated the tone difference with all mahogany - I guess that made me a wood guitar guy. Then, I bought that first carbon fiber guitar and discovered I had room in my heart, ears, and fingers for something besides wood. Some have considered me to be a carbon fiber guitar guy, and those are my preference. But, I consider myself to be a guitar guy and can appreciate carbon fiber AND wood. I don't think I'm alone.

This carbon fiber sub-forum is populated with open-minded guitar players. I kinda felt that Taylor 12-string purchase (from 4 months ago) was another example of my "sinning" here (referring to the original post on this thread). Tongue-in-cheek, of course, 'cause I think we should all play what we enjoy. You do you, I'll do me.

For full disclosure, I played the heck out of my lovely X20 today, and enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

I played my X7 for a while before heading out to run some errands. That will be the only guitar content until the end of this post.

When we finished installing a new tufted headboard (Joan remade what came as OEM, with a better-looking, more durable upholstery fabric) above the bed in our motorhome, I took my Honey out to lunch. While having lunch, she said, "I would like to look around for a new mattress today."

Who am I to say, "No"? After checking out the offerings in one mattress store, she said she would like to go to the Sleep Number Store in the next city down the road. We have had two Select Comfort mattresses, and I have to admit, the one in our bedroom was purchased just before World War I... so, it is probably getting to be time to update.

She found just what she was looking for there, after getting our bodies "mapped" and trying several different Sleep Number mattresses. Who knew mattresses are now "smart"? Really, you control it with an app on your phone. I could see this wasn't going to be an inexpensive stop. After we left, I said, "Well, that was more expensive than I expected."

She said, "It was less expensive than your last guitar."

I had nothing further to add to the conversation. A man has to know when to keep his mouth shut.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had nothing further to add to the conversation. A man has to know when to keep his mouth shut.
I quite understand.

At least you’ll be able to sleep at night
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-24-2022, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
...She said, "It was less expensive than your last guitar."

Perhaps it would help if you put one of these on it:

bed.jpg
Old 10-24-2022, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Perhaps it would help if you put one of these on it:

Attachment 82640
Thanks for belly laugh!

Is that available in carbon fiber look?

--------

Joan has done some gorgeous quilt projects... maybe I should ask if she'd make... um, maybe I'll wait on that request.

Here's one she made a couple years ago...

Last edited by Captain Jim; 10-24-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

I drag this thread up every once in a great while. Today, the Blonde told me that I will be selling some "lifestyle" things we have in the storage area under our house. What? No, not guitars. A couple kayaks, a stand-up paddleboard, a couple outboard motors, a propane grill, and whatever else she finds that she wants to go away. While, technically, one of the kayaks is hers, she hasn't used it in a long, long while... so, it's mostly my stuff that needs to find a new home. She just wants the space. Not for more stuff, but for the sake of having space.

Now, if you've read this far and think she intends to do that in my music room, that isn't on the table at this time. She did say to me: "Sell all that stuff and you can buy another guitar..."

To which I first answered, "I don't need another guitar." Then one of the voices in my head screamed, "Who said that??" Really, I don't need another guitar; I am quite content with what I have. And then another voice in there said, "You gonna let her tell you 'do this and you can buy another guitar'?? You da man, you buy what you want, when you want."

Another voice in there said, "I sure hope these voices aren't happening out loud outside your head." I agreed with that voice.

I think I'll go play one of those guitars.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

So, if I read that correctly, you are answering the voices you are hearing? LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber