The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I would suggest following Doug Young's approach to making wave maps.

I haven't tried the Ultratonic upgrade to the K&K, but I've heard good things about it.
That Ultratonic upgrade does look interesting. Doug definitely knows how to make those wave maps. I actually have some decent ones saved into my TD. But again, I still have to used the ParaEQ to make everything sound right.

I was just hoping to get everything into one small simple box. It sounds like the K&K is the thing that's keeping me from downsizing my outboard gear.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
It sounds like as long as I keep the K&K in my guitar, I should stay with my current setup. The Sunnaudio preamp doesn't have enough magic in it to overcome the EQ needs of the K&K.
Hi Hiddenmickey,
We have a 30 day return policy if the Stage DI does not work with your current setup. If the k&k’s are bass heavy the Stage DI will get rid of most of that without sacrificing your low tones. Also if the guitar is too bright, turning the treble down a hair will attenuate the highs and dampen the unwanted piezo attack without sacrificing the tone. Same goes for boosting the highs on a dull sounding guitar. Ultimately a pickup re-install would be the best way to dial it in for minimal eq adjustments.
We will also give you the forum discount. If interested, shoot us an email for more info.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-20-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I would suggest following Doug Young's approach to making wave maps.
That's what I would do... You can cut your IR (wavemap) to 1024 pts and put it in

It is the only IR loader I can think of with 1Mohm input impedance, parametric EQs and small footprint.

You will have a more direct sound because of the short IR.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-20-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Hi Hiddenmickey,
We have a 30 day return policy if the Stage DI does not work with your current setup. If the k&k’s are bass heavy the Stage DI will get rid of most of that without sacrificing your low tones. Also if the guitar is too bright, turning the treble down a hair will attenuate the highs and dampen the unwanted piezo attack without sacrificing the tone. Same goes for boosting the highs on a dull sounding guitar. Ultimately a pickup re-install would be the best way to dial it in for minimal eq adjustments.
We will also give you the forum discount. If interested, shoot us an email for more info.

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
That's what I would do... You can cut your IR (wavemap) to 1024 pts and put it in

It is the only IR loader I can think of with 1Mohm input impedance, parametric EQs and small footprint.

You will have a more direct sound because of the short IR.
That looks like a cool gadget, but if I'm going to stick with the IR approach, I definitely need to blend in a good amount of the pickup.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And the magnetic & piezo/mic combo K&K's aren't recommended by Tonedexter. That part puzzles me a bit, actually -- why would the Tonedexter sound best with the worst-sounding pickup?
Brett, I don't think ToneDexter sounds best with a worse pickup - I'd say the improvement will be more noticeable the worse the sound is to start with. Overall, the better the pickup to start with, I think the better the end result. But it's not as dramatic to go from pretty good to really good as it is to go from yuck to good.

As far as the dual source, I know that in general, these sorts of devices (starting with Rick Turner's Momma Bear and then the Aura) like to see a clean, relatively predictable signal. If you feed them a signal from a dual source system, you get a more complex input with phase anomalies, which may confuse the training. James or Andy could give more technical details, I suspect.

One thing with dual source is that I want to EQ each source separately, so ToneDexter as a single-input preamp isn't able to do that - it's not a blender. In the context of this thread, I think that once you start using (most) dual source systems, you're probably stepping beyond the "point and shoot" threshold.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That looks like a cool gadget, but if I'm going to stick with the IR approach, I definitely need to blend in a good amount of the pickup.
You can have up to 40 presets. You can set the amount blend in the IR file itself. This is a very easy thing to do. Once you have your file ready, you can just send it to me and I will generate 10 files with blend position goint from 0% to 100%. Tonedexter blend is done by a digital pot so there is probably less than 16 positions available.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
You can have up to 40 presets. You can set the amount blend in the IR file itself. This is a very easy thing to do. Once you have your file ready, you can just send it to me and I will generate 10 files with blend position goint from 0% to 100%. Tonedexter blend is done by a digital pot so there is probably less than 16 positions available.
Thanks for the offer! If I end up keeping the TD I may just take you up on that.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the offer! If I end up keeping the TD I may just take you up on that.
I think what Cuki79 is offering is a set of IRs you could use with a pedal other than ToneDexter that can load IRs and has the parametric EQ you need thus getting you down to one pedal.

I am currently gigging with Cuki79's IRs on an HX Stomp (and using its parametric EQ to tame some resonances inherent to the mic signal it is attempting to reproduce). The Stomp is by no means point and shoot, but its IR block includes mix, low cut and high cut parameters.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-20-2019, 04:24 PM

Ahh all these gizmos.. so little time.
Actually if I was going to reccomend
One thing that's plug and play ( Like you requested) It would be K&Ks pure xlr.
It's small ( Like maybe two packs of cigarettes small). Its designed specifically for the kk pup.
It has gain, bass, mid,treble adjustments and
Volume. It sounds good and runs on 48v .or 9v battery. I've tried a bazillion diff preamps with the K&K. I'll probably keep the xlr pre till it dies.Its that handy.
I own a felix and a Helix stomp.
And a pedal board (soon to be parted out)
But if I have to go play an open mic or sit in
With a group. I'll take the the xlr pre.
I think it fits your description need to a tee.
https://www.google.com/search?q=K%26...CAAzWrHHJgAAAA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification