The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Wildwood Guitars just got in a batch of 37 Custom Authentic D-18s, 5 with Sinker B/S. I got to make video demos for all of them and was so blown away that I took one home.

I have no financial interest but wanted to confirm that Martin is producing some amazing guitars right now! I haven't been a fan of any new Martins until now. They are bonkers!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone.

I went back to the store a few hours later, cash in hand, intending to buy it. I realized that they had two of them in stock. I made the mistake of playing the second one, and I somehow liked it even more. They're equally incredible, but I liked the tone of one just slightly more. That being said, the one I liked sonically was not my choice aesthetically (it was a natural top instead of a sunburst, which is what I'd really like). They also had a non-aged sunburst one that I really didn't give a fair chance to since I really thought I wanted an aged one.

I got a little overwhelmed trying to make up my mind and decided that I needed to sleep on it.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
Thanks for the comments so far, everyone.

I went back to the store a few hours later, cash in hand, intending to buy it. I realized that they had two of them in stock. I made the mistake of playing the second one, and I somehow liked it even more. They're equally incredible, but I liked the tone of one just slightly more. That being said, the one I liked sonically was not my choice aesthetically (it was a natural top instead of a sunburst, which is what I'd really like). They also had a non-aged sunburst one that I really didn't give a fair chance to since I really thought I wanted an aged one.

I got a little overwhelmed trying to make up my mind and decided that I needed to sleep on it.
Definitely go Aged on a tiebreak. The rolled fingerboard edges on the Aged ones make a huge difference in felt comfort. You wouldn't think a small thing like that should matter, but trust me it really does. Especially with Martin necks.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-19-2022, 07:50 AM

I was one of the early purchasers of the Custom Authentic 000-28s. My dealer was asked to notify me the minute he knew one was incoming.

When that day came, he had the Aged and Non-Aged versions. I tried the non first and liked it. Then the Aged; to me no contest. The non-aged sounded a bit bright and ping-y. Since I have a vintage 1944 00-18, I gravitate towards a "mature" sound, and that pushed me to the Aged. The rolled fretboard edges made it more comfortable as well.

I brought along my custom shop OM-18 sinker to compare. I ended up trading it for the 000-28 CAA.

I'd encourage you to jump in!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM

I have a Martin 00028k 1921 authentic and I am delighted with it. We don't see many Martin authentics this side of the Atlantic, I wish we did, any that I have played have been superb.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Definitely go Aged on a tiebreak. The rolled fingerboard edges on the Aged ones make a huge difference in felt comfort. You wouldn't think a small thing like that should matter, but trust me it really does. Especially with Martin necks.
The rolled fretboard feels great. Op, just note it’s about $50 to have a good tech roll the fretboard edges on a guitar. Or it’s easy to do yourself. If it’s truly a tonal and aesthetic toss up between the aged and natural, save yourself the $900 and do the fretboard on your own. (Many here feel the aged version sounds better—I would be one of those—but all that matters is your ears). Food for thought.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:04 AM

Welp... I've owned six martin Authentics. All were exceptional and all are now sold off.

What I've owned:

* '37 D-18A

* '39 D-18A non VTS

* '39 D-18A w/VTS

* '39 D-18AA

* '37 D-28A w/VTS

* '41 D-28A

They were all great guitars with the best, to MY ears, being the '37 D-18A.

But, strangely enough, my ears went back to preferring the sound of some standard line Martins and a wonderful Collings D2H. In my stash now:

* 1997 Martin D-45V
* 2007 Martin D-42
* 1974 Martin D-35
* 2021 Martin D-18
* 2022 Martin OOO-18
* 2014 Collings D2H
* 1971 Guild F-312NT

I am a 95% fingerstyle player and do not play bluegrass music. Very happy to have had the experience of owning and playing the Authentics, but I don't personally see going back to them. But you never know...
Old 05-19-2022, 09:55 AM

Someone needs to let me borrow their ‘37 D28 AA for a couple of weeks, to see if they’re really as awesome as I remember the one from NAMM being!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 05-19-2022, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
I’m in the market this year for a high-end acoustic. This is a pretty big purchase for me, and I’m feeling a little overwhelmed by the available options.

I just played a Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic that was so good it was heartbreaking. I’m not typically a rosewood guy, but this guitar just had that special something. As an added bonus, the salesperson was an older gentleman who loves John Fahey as much as I do, and he did me the pleasure of playing through a few Fahey bits so I could hear it from the other side. It was great. Really just superb.

Big purchases are always a little overwhelming for me. I could go buy that guitar right now and have a guitar I’d absolutely cherish. On the other hand, this would also mean that my hunt would be over, which is kind of a bummer.

What do you think of these custom shop Authentics?
I mean, this is what everyone should be hoping for, a guitar that blows them away in person. You can keep window shopping forever, you probably will anyway.

Much better than chasing specs and reputation on the internet. You've got what you want in your hands!
Old 05-19-2022, 12:52 PM

I have the D-28 Custom Authentic and not played the 000-28 model. I can confirm others praise and give two thumbs up. This is the nicest sounding Martin Ive played or owned. I’m sure there’s better ones out there but for the price these can’t be beat.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:38 PM

I am going to sound like a broken record,butI don’t know if Martin has fixed their loose bindings coming up from 2013 on. If you don’t mind sending your Martin back for 6 months to Martin , then I would say go for it . You won’t find any sympathy from customer service either, but it has caused enough of a stir among Martin owners of recent vintage to start threads on the UMGF where seldom is a discouraging word about Martin. There are other options I would look at including Collings, Bourgeois and other builders who build great instruments and stand behind them. I know it is hard to shop higher end guitars now, but I’d I were in the market, I would take a trip to Nashville and check out the competition. As Joni Mitchell says, “ Go to him , stay with him if you can , but be prepared to bleed.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion