The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 11:29 AM

Default Collings D1 neck carve vs. Bourgeois ?

I've encountered varying descriptions of the neck feel on the Collings D1: it's been described both as "slim" and "medium-to-chunky". I'm talking about their standard modified v with 1 11/16 nut.

I'm seriously contemplating buying a D1 with 1 11/16 nut but as I've always had difficulty finding comfortable necks, I'd prefer to get a better handle (so to speak) on the Collings neck before actually parting with any cash.

Can anybody tell me how the Collings neck compares to the neck on Bourgeois dreads ?

I have good-sized palms but somewhat short fingers. Most "medium" necks are too big for me. the Bourgeois is quite comfortable despite the slightly wider nut.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2022, 01:17 PM

In my experience, the Bourgeois neck is quite noticably thinner/more low profile than Collings' Standard mod-v. I personally prefer the Collings neck.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:52 PM

@heximal

Thanks so much-- that's disappointing but very useful information.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:50 PM

Happy to help-- you may also find the link below helpful. For what it's worth, both necks are comfortable, but I find that the Collings has just a little bit of extra shoulder that really helps me position my thumb comfortably on the neck. Bourgeois neck profile also has a little bit more of a distinct V feel and stays thinner as you move up the neck.

I don't find the Collings neck to be especially bulky, so I would recommend trying one out in person if at all possible.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=454052
Old 05-18-2022, 03:24 PM

@heximal

Thank you for the link.

I don't have any Collings dealers close by. I could conceivably drive to Gryphon which is at least 2.5 hours away. Bay Area traffic is getting so bad that this is not a particularly appealing proposition but I may have to bite the bullet.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:32 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

As you can see from my sig I prefer Collings’ Traditional series. Warmer, more Martin-ish, 1 3/4” nut and beefier neck. Here are the specs on the standard and Traditional necks…

Last edited by Rev Roy; 05-18-2022 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:38 PM

I sold a Collings D2H about 5 years ago because I could no longer comfortably play it due to its neck profile and progressing arthritis in my hand and wrist. I bought a Bourgeois AT Mahogany D to replace the Collings, and have found that its slimmer neck profile works much better for me. I should mention that the Collings had a 1 & 3/4" nut width versus the Bourgeois' 1 & 23/32" so it isn't simply the neck profile making the difference for me, it also involves a narrower nut width. YMMV.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-18-2022, 05:23 PM

@rev_roy

Thanks for the Collings diagrams.

The only equivalent Martin diagrams I can find do not include the thickness of the fretboard. For example, my favorite neck is the Martin modified low oval with 1 11/16 nut. It measures .580 at the 1st fret and .667 at the 10th.

Without knowing the thickness of the fretboard, it's difficult to compare the Martin and Collings measurements.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:32 PM

@catdaddy

I've played a Bourgeois Slope Shoulder, Generation R and Generation M and found all the necks quite comfortable.

However, when it came to sonics I found them all disappointing. Not my cup of tea.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:54 PM

@Rev_Roy

I came across the assertion that "Most modern Martin fretboards are 1/4" in the middle".

I worked out the difference numerically but lack the expertise to "translate" this difference into neck feel.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heximal View Post
In my experience, the Bourgeois neck is quite noticably thinner/more low profile than Collings' Standard mod-v. I personally prefer the Collings neck.

I find that the Collings has just a little bit of extra shoulder that really helps me position my thumb comfortably on the neck. Bourgeois neck profile also….stays thinner as you move up the neck.
This is spot on. Absolutely spot on.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-18-2022, 06:11 PM

@brencat

Thanks for the confirmation.

The challenge for me, not having played the Collings, is to imagine what "a little bit of extra shoulder" feels like.

I just returned a Larrivee D-09 because it had too much shoulder for me.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:33 PM

I don't own a Collings D but I have a Collings OM1 with their standard modified V neck. I'd assume that the standard neck is the same regardless of what size or model it's on.

I'll offer this for what it's worth. Over the last twenty years or so I've purchased 25 - 30 acoustic guitars. One of the most important things to me has always been how my hand fits the neck or visa versa. I have custom guitars built for me by Kevin Ryan, Bill Wise/Charis, Goodall, Taylors, R Taylors, Avalons, etc. As you can see from the list these are all contemporary builders.

I've always shied away from traditional style builders for one main reason. After reading reviews, etc about V style necks, more shoulder etc. I figured there's no way I would like it.

But---I just had the bug in me to get a nice OM style guitar and after reading for years about Collings incredible workmanship and reading a zillion reviews I decided to get one. I figured it was the only way I'd really know. If I didn't like it I knew I sell it so I began the search. About three months ago I acquire a really nice Collings OM1 with Red Mountain Cedar B/S, Sitka top, and Addy bracing.

When it arrived it was with great reservation that I open the case. Not only is it a fantastic sounding guitar, and here is the part you want to hear. Even after all of the thin, custom built necks I've been playing for of these years I find the neck on the Collings to be the most comfortable neck I've played. As mentioned earlier - they have a bit, just a little bit more shoulder but I think that's what makes it so nice. I also think as players we assume that a thin neck has to be better. That of course is not always true. Don't get me wrong - the Collings neck is in no way thick at all. I find it "just right".

Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:04 PM

@Koda

Thanks for your assessment of the Collings neck. Nice to know there are others for whom matching neck to hand is crucial.

I've known guys who can play just about anything but they've all had very large hands.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
@catdaddy

I've played a Bourgeois Slope Shoulder, Generation R and Generation M and found all the necks quite comfortable.

However, when it came to sonics I found them all disappointing. Not my cup of tea.
I understand. I'd never been impressed with a Bourgeois until I came across my AT Mahogany D. Might be the torrefied top had something to do with that, I'm not sure.

Relevant to the Collings neck profile, I believe that if my D2H had had the standard 1 & 11/16" nut width instead of the 1 & 3/4" that I may have been able to make it work. Hope the D1 works for you, they're great guitars.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion