The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-09-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Amazing is the word for it, for sure.
For me, it was just a tad spooky, as well. I was out on our patio, tracking down some ornery caterpillars that have been chewing on the leaves of our potted begonias, when my wife sticks her head out the door and tells me the Kentucky Derby's about to start if I'm interested. So I wash my hands off and go up to watch, having seen and heard absolutely none of the lead-in info about a scratch and a last-minute entrant. But as I sit down, the camera is finishing up the parade of entrants and doing a pan across the gates...and I focus in on the end, where I see 18, 19 and...wait, 21? What? Get a kind of prickly feel on the back of my neck. But then I'm distracted because one of the earlier-numbered horses has to be calmed and put back into the starting block. Then the start.

And O my stars, the race!

And when I saw the ending, with the "21" on the horse passing the others, I got that darn prickle again!

So here's a question: after the race, when they were having such a hard time getting Rich Strike to calm down, did it flash through anyone else's mind that someone might claim doping should be checked for? Or am I the only Doubting Dirk here? I know horses are often high-strung following a race, but the whole nipping incessantly at the guide pony seemed kinda weird.

This morning, heard a brief interview with Rich Strike's trainer who talked about his horse's strength in coming from behind and getting faster on longer races. Since the Preakness is 9.5 furlongs vs. the Derby's 10 furlongs, that might factor into the next race. We'll see. But if he's right, the 12-furlong Belmont could be tailor-made for another Rich Strike win.

In any case, this is one Derby I'm glad my wife reminded me to watch!

Dirk
I know where you are coming from, but these horses are so full of themselves and so hyped up after a race while others are just plain nasty around other horses, I do not believe that behavior is all that unusual. There was a great TB just a couple of years ago and his whole story line was how nasty he was and tried to bite all his handlers.

All the horses pee in a cup after all the races, so that is checked routinely. I use to have that job for a while, whistling was your best friend, along with plastic gloves I might add.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 AM

I don't bet on anything. Like ever. But I honestly said to myself "Man, I should put $20 on that 80-1 horse."

But I didn't.

That's why I don't gamble. I make terrible decisions.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 05-09-2022 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:10 AM

Wow.

Jockey was Sonny Leon, by the way.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Yes, that was fun. What a great race to watch!

I found myself wishing 15 minutes before the race started that I could look ahead 20 minutes or so and know who the winner would be. And of course then I would never have to worry about money again -- not that I worry all that much.

It was fun to see a horse and rider with 80:1 odds win the Derby. A little piece of history right in front of our eyes in high definition.

- Glenn
Old 05-09-2022, 01:43 PM

Any links to a good summary video of the event?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-09-2022, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

The trainer was on TV this morning. He said the "Richie" kept going after the pony because he had never been met by a pony after a race before and thought he had to beat the pony, too.

He also said the rider of the pony got bit a couple of times, which does not surprise me after watching how Richie was gnawing on that rope he was holding! Hope he is OK, occupational hazard, I guess.

Really happy for the trainer, his dad, owner and jockey. Nice to see the little guy win once in a while, horse racing needs a feel good story after its recent scandals.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:14 PM

RJVB, the full race is on youtube, but this overhead view of the action around the final turn and down the homestretch really shows you the brilliance from both jockey and horse. What a closing kick, and the perfect line.
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 05-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephony View Post
RJVB, the full race is on youtube, but this overhead view of the action around the final turn and down the homestretch really shows you the brilliance from both jockey and horse. What a closing kick, and the perfect line.
Great overhead shot it also shows he almost go boxed in @ about 14-16 seconds but stayed focused and as soon as he got past the horse on his left he smartly moved to the inside (which is risky because you can also get boxed on the rail ) but the horse in front of him drifted wide and made the room for his final inside stretch

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-09-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephony View Post
Thx! I was hoping for a nice compilation of different angles but I guess this indeed shows everything you really need to see

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Kind of like the Red Sea there in the last few seconds! Everything just opens up and makes way for them. Great view.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:49 PM

Late to this thread, but I've followed horse racing for some time (grew up in NY - flats and harness [trotters and pacers]). This was one of the best finishes - and one of the best rides by a jockey I've ever seen.

Can't wait for the Preakness. Remember Funny Cide?!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-17-2022, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Today's news (Monday 5/16) indicates that Rich Strike's owner and trainer have decided that the horse will not run in the Preakness.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Today's news (Monday 5/16) indicates that Rich Strike's owner and trainer have decided that the horse will not run in the Preakness.
Oh boy, that is not good news. Dang it.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Ruins the greatness of the Triple Crown.

Sad.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 07-05-2022, 04:04 PM

Any new feats by this horse since the last post?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic