The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-30-2022, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi columbia…
Not sure I get your point. Are you indicating that any language pertaining to music or guitars is in actuality theory?

Or do you think there are aspects of music (notation, chord progressions, scales etc) which are part of music the way numbers, equations, base etc pertain specifically to math?
I don't see his post as implying either. IMO music "theory" mainly is naming and labeling (useful of course for communication and memorization), i.e. a language.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-30-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
"Theory" is an unfortunate name, I prefer "language."
Yes that's pretty much the way I see it what we call 'music theory' is everything to do with the playing of music ( not including the actual mechanics specific to how to play different instruments) which can be either written down or spoken.
To me it's a description of the matrix of melody harmony and rythmn out of which music arises.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:24 AM

To me learning music theory was a game changes, b/c it allowed me to understand songs, how they are built, how I could change them, how I could improvise on. The theory I think about, has nothing to do with reading music. To me the main areas of focus should be: fretboard, major scales, chord constructions, as already suggested.

Ll.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Reading music has nothing to do with music theory. Reading music is basically being able to play something exactly they way the writer wants you to play it.

Music theory gives you the tools you need to create something new.

Music theory helps you understand how certain chords and notes work together. And as soon as you know the rules you can break them to make your music more interesting. Most guitarists probably know a lot more theory than they think.

For me, being able to read has been pretty helpful for my growth as a musician.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write