The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Elite D6-58

How do vocals sound through the D6-58? For use as monitor or stand-alone for small gigs. (Acoustic guitar and vocal.)

If you use it as a stand-alone PA for a small gig, how/where do you set it up?
Old 04-23-2022, 03:31 PM

Vocals sound absolutely wonderful through the D6-58. In my opinion, the vocals are what really set it apart from the AER Compact 60. The guitar sounds great in either amp, but while the vocals are decent on the Compact 60, they are notably better on the D6-58.

More channels and twice the wattage doesn’t hurt either!

The D6-58 really doesn’t sound like live audio gear. It sounds more like you invited people into your home studio! If you had two of them, you could use them as studio monitors and mix an album on them!

I can’t think of a better sounding amp.

Having said that, while they are great for smaller gigs, they won’t take the place of a column with the subwoofer on the floor if you need thump and throw.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Regardless of power.
Regardless of guitar sound.
How is VOCAL sound on the D6-58 vs VOCALS on a Bose S1 Pro?
Just curious. I am using an S1 Pro as a comparison because so many people use them.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
Regardless of power.
Regardless of guitar sound.
How is VOCAL sound on the D6-58 vs VOCALS on a Bose S1 Pro?
Just curious. I am using an S1 Pro as a comparison because so many people use them.

I have both, and the D6-58 is definitely better, but most of that is at the preamp and mixer level. The Elite Acoustics D6-(5)8 uses class A preamps that are really good, and has a high quality digital mixer that is also really good.

If you use an S1 Pro as an extension speaker to the D6-58, it sounds quite a bit better than if you are using the built in mixer.

That is how I use my S1 Pro: as an extension speaker. Not that the S1 Pro mixer sounds bad. It is actually quite good. It’s just that the D6-(5)8 is better.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

We use a combination of a D6-58 and two Bose S1 Pro's depending on the gig/venue. The D6-58 is clearer and cleaner vocally. The S1 sounds very good on vocals as well but with that warmer, colored sound that Bose products are very well known for. We typically use the D6-58 as a standalone system that covers almost all of our gigs. We use the S1 as a standalone system only when we need the smallest, lightest thing we can carry with just the guitar and one mic, losing the second vocals. The S1 has a wider dispersion than the D6-58.

We also will use a second S1 if we need even greater dispersion or more power. And the modularity is very useful with a plethora of options with two S1's or even both combined with the D6-58. I've used both S1's pointing out on a single pole (with dual adapter), or one pointing out with one on the floor as a monitor. Once we even had one point out to the main room and another as a satellite speaker in another room fed by a wireless guitar unit. Another time we pointed the S1's in opposite directions to cover 360 degrees.

But to answer the OP's question, when using the D6-58 alone we typically set it slightly off to one side on a pole. At lower volumes we'll set it back from us a bit. If we need to play louder we'll bump up even or just a little in front of us but still to the side. I have used it on the floor behind us and angled up but you lose hearing the highs yourself clearly. On the pole you get a more full sound which I prefer. The floor works well for a smaller, quieter seated crowd while a pole works better for a standing or noisier crowd.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:59 AM

If neither can handle larger venues, outside of the battery option, why would one choose the D6-58 over the D6-8 Pro? Do the multiple speakers on the 58 produce a better tone? I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my deteriorating SoloAmp and am torn between these two amps and have even thought of running an EAE GigMix 4 into a powered speaker. I mostly perform at smaller, quieter venues but occasionally at larger ones.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 04-24-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
If neither can handle larger venues, outside of the battery option, why would one choose the D6-58 over the D6-8 Pro? Do the multiple speakers on the 58 produce a better tone? I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my deteriorating SoloAmp and am torn between these two amps and have even thought of running an EAE GigMix 4 into a powered speaker. I mostly perform at smaller, quieter venues but occasionally at larger ones.
Good point! If you already feel that way then the EAE mixer into a QSC CP8 (or CP12 depending on how large your occasional bigger venues are) would be a much more flexible option if you don’t need battery.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:

The reason is that there are plenty of small gigs that are a really good fit for the D6-58 size.

Look at it this way. The D6-8 Pro is about the size and capacity of a Loudbox Mini or an AER Compact 60 or Udo Roesner Da Capo 75. There are many times when that is a good size and all you need.

You’ll find a lot of people who think that a Loudbox Mini or AER Compact 60 are perfect for most coffeeshops and small restaurants or bars.

The D6-58 moves up to the size and capacity of a Loudbox Artist. It is the same size and wattage. Anyone who has used a Loudbox Artist will tell you that there are a heck of a lot of times when that amp is the perfect size.

Then once you go over that size of a job, you are going to move to using the amp as a monitor feeding one or more powered speakers, or sending a feed to a soundboard. At that point it really doesn’t matter anymore.

Often when you are doing a patio type gig, the extra size will be about perfect, and the battery will be really convenient.

Of course, you might find that you prefer just to use a powered speaker regularly for the separate control of both your and the audience’s levels, and the 5-8 Pro will be equally good, and slightly smaller.

Move up a little in audience size and you’ll be looking at the same debate with column systems: is a Bose Pro 8 enough, or do you need a Pro 16 or Pro 32? The same thing when choosing between an EV Evolve 30M or 50M? Most of the time, the smaller systems are absolutely fine, but you can do gigs that are a bit bigger without adding extra speakers with the larger column systems.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have both, and the D6-58 is definitely better, but most of that is at the preamp and mixer level.
Do you know if the EAE mixers operate as preamps and would thus yield a similar sound running into an S1 or powered speaker like a CP8?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 04-24-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Do you know if the EAE mixers operate as preamps and would thus yield a similar sound running into an S1 or powered speaker like a CP8?

Yes, I have a pair of S1 Pros and they sound wonderful driven from the D6-58: far better than when they use their own mixer section. QSC Speakers are awesome too of course. Similar sound to the S1 Pro but with 90 degrees on both axis (instead of 40 degrees vertical and 120 degrees horizontal), but 124 db (1 meter) rather than only 103 db, which is often far more important.

The D6-58 has a dedicated EQ for the output, so it is easy to get the best possible sound out of external speakers. One thing that is particularly nice is the stereo high pass filters which can keep low frequencies from bottoming out on the Bose S1 Pro. It is also useful on subwoofer systems.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The reason is that there are plenty of small gigs that are a really good fit for the D6-58 size.

Look at it this way. The D6-8 Pro is about the size and capacity of a Loudbox Mini or an AER Compact 60 or Udo Roesner Da Capo 75. There are many times when that is a good size and all you need.

You’ll find a lot of people who think that a Loudbox Mini or AER Compact 60 are perfect for most coffeeshops and small restaurants or bars.

The D6-58 moves up to the size and capacity of a Loudbox Artist. It is the same size and wattage. Anyone who has used a Loudbox Artist will tell you that there are a heck of a lot of times when that amp is the perfect size.

Then once you go over that size of a job, you are going to move to using the amp as a monitor feeding one or more powered speakers, or sending a feed to a soundboard. At that point it really doesn’t matter anymore.

Often when you are doing a patio type gig, the extra size will be about perfect, and the battery will be really convenient.

Of course, you might find that you prefer just to use a powered speaker regularly for the separate control of both your and the audience’s levels, and the 5-8 Pro will be equally good, and slightly smaller.

Move up a little in audience size and you’ll be looking at the same debate with column systems: is a Bose Pro 8 enough, or do you need a Pro 16 or Pro 32? The same thing when choosing between an EV Evolve 30M or 50M? Most of the time, the smaller systems are absolutely fine, but you can do gigs that are a bit bigger without adding extra speakers with the larger column systems.
I tried the Loudbox Mini when it first came out and didn't care for it. When I played just my guitar through it the sound was fine but when I added vocals (which is what I do) I felt there wasn't enough headroom as it seemed to break up a lot. Maybe it's merely how I heard it or the room I was in and I hadn't set it correctly. Regardless, I guess my point to myself is that I'm concerned about headroom and don't want to go too low on power. That would probably rule out the D6-8.

I have thought of just going the powered speaker direction and my post about the EAE mixers was based on that. What I was wondering there was if running an EAE GIGMIX 4-1 into a powered speaker would yield the same sonic result as running the output of a D6-8 or 58 into it.

I don't do a lot of gigs and am wrestling with the question of whether I really need multiple solutions. Of course, at base, I don't truly "need" anything; I really just have GAS.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Last edited by lpa53; 04-26-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

The D6-8 is a great small job mixer/amp, very clean and crisp - the only complaint I have is the controls are on the top, so it needs to be set low to make them accessible. I am planning a "cradle" that would mount on top of a speaker stand that would hold it sideways to reduce this problem, especially when your audience is largely standing - Where it doesn't work is for large gigs, based purely on max volume. Then, an external powered speaker (or two) can make up for that, and are easily added and adjusted. But one of the advantages of the EAE unit is battery power, so if that is important, the S1s are a nice, if pricey, addition. If you think those bigger gigs will have easy access to power (and they usually do) then one or 2 powered speakers can be gotten much cheaper. I just picked up the Alto TS312 on sale to play with and see how it works either straight from the TRex acoustic, or as an extension speaker from the D6-8. So far, I'm pretty happy with the sound straight from the TRex, but I really want to get a buddy here to play through it so I can stand out in the "audience" and see how it sounds there, and how much adjustment is available. I haven't tried it with the EAE yet - But, it does seem to get quite loud -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification