The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Can I inquire how you bought your eo guitar? I can find information, but no sales. Thanks!
The website shows an email contact mailto:[email protected]

I emailed him and ordered that way.

Definitely a smaller operation but he was very good to deal with.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Thank you!
Old 01-24-2022, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm curious, for those of you that have a Yamaha, Ultra, EO, or something similar, how do you normally use it? Headphones, or portable amp? When traveling, do you take along a portable amp? Wireless or wired?

Last edited by KevinH; 01-24-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I'm curious, for those of you that have a Yamaha, Ultra, EO, or something similar, how do you normally use it? Headphones, or portable amp? When traveling, do you take along a portable amp? Wireless or wired?
For travel I typically bring either or both of the NUX mighty air with it's wireless and the fender micro with wired iem headphones. In a hotel room I'll typically use the headphones.

In my living room I have my THR30 and I will play it into that or through the headphones in one ear if I want to not disturb others.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:49 PM

"how do you normally use it? Headphones, or portable amp? When traveling, do you take along a portable amp? Wireless or wired?"

If it's later at night and I want to practice or jam with something from an iPad or something with an 1/8" output, I use headphones. If everyone is awake, I plug it into what ever amp is nearby. Acoustic or Electric amp. With or without a pedal.

It's a lot of fun. I got mine after watching Lee Ritenour play one for quite some time.

I fits in the overhead of most airplanes. I often wait for other stuff to go in and lay the guitar on top. It's so thin, I'm afraid it will will get some carry-on thrown on top of it.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-24-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I've been using mine to do open mics for about the last six months or so. I've also opened with it once, and done a song swap it, and am about to do yet another song swap with it.

It sounds very much like an actual acoustic guitar, never feeds back, is extremely light, doesn't take up as much space as an acoustic guitar, and won't cost an arm and a leg if somebody steals it out of my car. That's why I use it.

Here's that first time I ever got to do a 30-minute set (opening for some friends of mine). I sound more nervous than I remember feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAgOMEuz7Q

Old 01-25-2022, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info.

Another question - has anyone with a Yamaha SLG200S tried replacing the nut to expand the string spacing to that of a 1-3/4" nut? Is there enough room at the fretboard edges to do that? I've not been able to get along with their 1-11/16" nut guitars.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Another question - has anyone with a Yamaha SLG200S tried replacing the nut to expand the string spacing to that of a 1-3/4" nut? Is there enough room at the fretboard edges to do that? I've not been able to get along with their 1-11/16" nut guitars.
I haven't tried (though I prefer 1-3/4" nuts). But looking at the pictures here, I think you could get the wider spacing at the nut, but it would present a problem at the frets.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...bacco-sunburst

I finally got used to the narrower nut. It takes me a while to switch back and forth between it and the 1-3/4" nuts on most of my guitars, but I've gotten to where that doesn't bother me much at all anymore, either.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:32 AM

Songwriterfan - well done!! Really impressed!
Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryE View Post
Songwriterfan - well done!! Really impressed!
Thanks!

I'm actually almost done with my new (first) CD . . . a collection of twelve original songs. When I hired the studio to do this work, I didn't realize I was also hiring a producer who heard much more in my songs than I did . . the album has ended up being full-produced, and even radio-ready.

I had no intentions of ever releasing any of my songs to radio, but after the way this album turned out, I'm seriously considering releasing some of these songs to Texas Country radio stations.

We are in the mixing stage now, so hopefully in a few months my songs will be available in physical CD format, and also out on all the streaming networks and available for download. I'm still pinching myself!
Old 01-27-2022, 11:53 AM

Hi Kevin,

I actually tried what you suggested (putting a new nut onto my Yamaha silent steel string). The new nut has 1.5" string spacing like you'd find on a typical 1.75" nut. Gryphon did the work for me and did a very nice job. They did exactly what I asked (after getting past their initial skepticism) and the quality of the work was good.

For me overall the new nut made a marked improvement in playability. I just don't get along with narrower string spacing and could not play accurately on that guitar before putting on the new nut. That said, there ends up being less space between the 1st and 6th strings, and the end of the fretboard. So it's easier to push the string off the fretboard entirely if you are not careful. Moving from light to medium strings helped a lot with that -- more tension in the strings. Additionally I'm not a string bender, but if you are a frequent string bender it may not be ideal. I'd still prefer to have a factory model with a 1.75" nut and 25.4" scale, but that's not available so this is a workable alternative for me. I use that guitar primarily as an easily packable, low-volume practice guitar when traveling -- so am not particularly concerned about how it sounds amplified into a PA.

Last edited by BlueStarfish; 01-27-2022 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correct typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion