The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-28-2021, 07:10 AM

I tried out the PRX One at GC the other day, just an acoustic guitar with everything set flat. I really wanted to like it as I have always been a JBL fan. It just sounded a bit muddy to my ears. I compared to Bose L1 Pro 8, EV Evolve 30m and EV Evolve 50. Keep in mind that everything was set flat on each. The Bose sounded very clear, but lacked low end. The EV's took the win for me as for my sound preference so far. I still want to try out the Bose L1 Pro 16 though.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWman View Post
I tried out the PRX One at GC the other day, just an acoustic guitar with everything set flat. I really wanted to like it as I have always been a JBL fan. It just sounded a bit muddy to my ears. I compared to Bose L1 Pro 8, EV Evolve 30m and EV Evolve 50. Keep in mind that everything was set flat on each. The Bose sounded very clear, but lacked low end. The EV's took the win for me as for my sound preference so far. I still want to try out the Bose L1 Pro 16 though.
Is it possible to download the apps on a device prior to auditioning the systems? That way you could do some homework on the app, and try some of the presets/settings that might be more appropriate for solo acoustic performance. I’m not sure that using “flat” settings is the best option for the different systems—particularly since they are marketed as multi-purpose for DJ’s etc. I.e. a flat setting my be great for a DJ, but not for acoustic guitar. I think the JBL might hold much more promise if dialed in. I’ve only heard the Pro 16 and PRX with recorded acoustic music, with no tweaking of settings. I thought the JBL was punchier (maybe too much so), and found the Bose to be a little “softer” sounding—but those aren’t real world applications or settings.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Is it possible to download the apps on a device prior to auditioning the systems? That way you could do some homework on the app, and try some of the presets/settings that might be more appropriate for solo acoustic performance. I’m not sure that using “flat” settings is the best option for the different systems—particularly since they are marketed as multi-purpose for DJ’s etc. I.e. a flat setting my be great for a DJ, but not for acoustic guitar. I think the JBL might hold much more promise if dialed in. I’ve only heard the Pro 16 and PRX with recorded acoustic music, with no tweaking of settings. I thought the JBL was punchier (maybe too much so), and found the Bose to be a little “softer” sounding—but those aren’t real world applications or settings.
I agree that setting everything flat isn't practical for real world use. This was just the best option I had for comparing the different systems I guess.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Is it possible to download the apps on a device prior to auditioning the systems? That way you could do some homework on the app, and try some of the presets/settings that might be more appropriate for solo acoustic performance.
Yes. I have both the Bose L1 Pro app and Evolve app on my Android phone. And own none of those systems
Old 09-29-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I love my Evolve 30M!
Old 09-29-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I love my Evolve 30M!
Same. Love it so much, I bought it’s twin sister.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 10-03-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
Same. Love it so much, I bought it’s twin sister.
Do you use any of the effects? My only complaint is that the effects aren’t great.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:38 PM

Oh yeah. A touch of delay and compression. Sounds great. I never use reverb on anything. Only a drum kit on a full PA.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 10-05-2021, 12:06 PM

Some freaking incredible technology available these days!!
Those of you who are relatively old like me -- -- can appreciate it all far more, I'm sure, than all these young whippersnappers who never got to lug-around a pair of 200-pound PA bass-bins and all the other "accessories."

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-05-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Those of you who are relatively old like me -- -- can appreciate it all far more, I'm sure, than all these young whippersnappers who never got to lug-around a pair of 200-pound PA bass-bins and all the other "accessories."
No kidding. I’ve got one word for you. “Peavey”. The heaviest gear per dollar ever.

Back to the PRX array. My buddy just bought a pair. He uses for DJ purposes though. I can’t wait to give them a listen.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 10-05-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
No kidding. I’ve got one word for you. “Peavey”. The heaviest gear per dollar ever.
Yeah….when I first started playing and singing, my dad had an ‘80s Peavey setup. A pair of SP2’s, 2 wedge monitors, and an XR700 powered mixer. It was all built like it was made for war. But I would never want to haul that stuff again. Even the Peavey microphones we had felt like holding bricks!
Old 10-06-2021, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
My back is hurting just thinking about it!! S bins, J bins, mids, 45/60s, then later JBL 1400s, amp racks, effects racks, desks........even the passive wedges were freakin' heavy!
Old 10-09-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah….when I first started playing and singing, my dad had an ‘80s Peavey setup. A pair of SP2’s, 2 wedge monitors, and an XR700 powered mixer. It was all built like it was made for war. But I would never want to haul that stuff again. Even the Peavey microphones we had felt like holding bricks!

I had similar gear for my band back then. That stuff was built like tanks and weighed the same too!
Old 01-18-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
OK, so I’m revisiting my earlier thoughts on this. I want to give the PRX One another (and fair) chance. Who is using it and what do you think? How does it compare to the Evolve 50m? I know both of those are somewhat new (yes the 30m has been a round a while, but not 50m). I’ve been checking YouTube but really there only a few reviews of unboxing and showing basic features. About a $400 difference, so if they are pretty much equal otherwise then that makes the choice obvious.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Follow-up: I loaded the EV and JBL apps on my phone and went to a local Guitar Center. It was cool because the salesman allowed me to play around on my own, without any sales pitch or bias. I had recorded music on my phone that is in my style (just just straight acoustic guitar and vocals). I started with the JBL, and had no luck maneuvering the software to get my phone paired. I then went to the 30M and figured it out pretty easily. I liked it overall. I then asked the salesman to help me with the JBL, with no luck pairing either my phone or his. He mentioned that they previously had a lot of trouble when the system first came in—so I never got to hear it. We then connected the Evolve 50 (not the M), and I did a back and forth comparison between that and the 30M. I really preferred the larger system’s fullness and warmth. I looked at the Bose 16 which I had previously auditioned (and liked), but I was pretty much sold on the Evolve 50’s sound, software, and robust (wood and aluminum vs plastic) construction. So I ordered a 50M since I wanted the mixer, and put it through it’s paces during the 45 day approval period. While I haven’t had it out to a gig yet I’m real impressed the system overall. I’ve tried it with and without condenser mics, an external mixer, and slaving my Bose S1. I even dialed in a decent sound with an electric archtop. While it’s not 100% perfect, I feel it comes the closest overall for my needs, and set up is fast and easy! It is a little on the heavy side, but not bad, and I plan to get the rolling cart. I was also swayed by hearing a local artist performing at both indoor and outdoor venues locally, and the sound was excellent (and I got to sit in on it). I did think about also buying the Bose to audition at home for a month or so before deciding, but I feel that the Evolve gets it done for me.

Last edited by Stringmaster; 01-18-2022 at 06:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification