The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Default Lyric Pad for Android

I have recently purchased Lyric Pad (available at Android Market) and have tried it out at my last gig. Lyric Pad is awesome, and is exactly what I was looking for.

Going into this, I did have a few concerns. I have a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab, and wondered if any lyric app I got would appear too small on the screen to see properly. I am happy to say that I can read the print just fine, and I am not a spring chicken (I am 49). In fact, I made the font display size a couple notches lower than the default, and I can still easily read it 4 feet away.

My next concern was that there is no way (that I know of) to advance to the next song using a bluetooth footswitch. Not a problem at all. Using my picking hand, I can get to any song in my repertoire within about three seconds, while I'm still sustaining the previous song's final chord with my other hand. It turns out that I actually prefer not using a footswitch. Sometimes I have to relocate 3 or even 4 times a day for different events. I appreciate having one less piece to carry around, the speed of setup, and one less piece of gear to break.

I have read several people say that they would never think of using a seven inch tablet for this. For me, the seven inch tablet is absolutely perfect, and I wouldn't use anything larger. I set up all of the songs to scroll automatically after a 60 second delay. Perfect. And the 7 inch tablet easily fits in my guitar case.

I downloaded this app the day before my gig, and had all of my songs up in running in time.

The gentleman that wrote the app provided me with great customer support. I was surpirsed at the promptness of his emailed replies. He is a musician that created Lyric Pad so he could use it with his band. I like the idea of purchasing from a fellow musician, and recommend that others do the same.

BTW, I do not know this person, and am not affiliated in any way.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Smile

I did a google search today for my application "Lyric Pad" and was pleasently suprised to find this review.

Firstly, thank you very much for a kind review. As you have already said this app was originally designed for use in my own band and I put it up on the Android Market in case others would find it useful. I never imagined at the time there would be such a level of interest.

Secondly, just a quick plug. If you have ever thought about not having to keep a bulky lyrics folder in order or drag it around with you then read on.

Some of the features of Lyric Pad include:
- Extremely fast operation. (No time for screwing around on stage!)
- Can select and load a new song with two taps of the screen.
- Automatic scrolling of lyrics
- Multiple methods of scrolling including scripted automation, non-scripted automation and intelligent non-scripted automation which can intelligently scroll the lyrics based on screen size and duration of song!
- Can write and edit lyrics on screen (in edit mode)
- Can search for and download lyrics from the lyrdb database online
- Set list support including be able to press a button to jump to the next song in the set list and a set list editor
- Extremely customisable
- Solid and Dependable
- Heaps more features as well.

A summary of this is it simply works. It has been written by a working musician for other musicians and has been tested by many months of gigging and hundreds of users.

I believe in my product and I believe that anyone who tries it will love it. Because of this I have released three versions of Lyric Pad.

Lyric Pad FREE - A trial demo version of Lyric Pad (that is limited in operation) but is completely free and you can try it out (Available at the Android Market)
Lyric Pad - The full version which can be purchased from the Android Market (for a tiny price of AU$5)
Lyric Pad (Website) - A version that is downloadable from my website which will act like Lyric Pad FREE until a registration code is purchased an entered.

If you have an android device (even a phone) why not download the free version and test it out? Also feel free to look at the reviews on the Android Market to see what other users have said.

Dan

Android Market - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...also_installed
Lyric Pad Website - http://www.lyricpadapps.com/
Old 09-22-2019, 08:27 AM

Default x

(gripe: I hate that every reply has to have a title...hence my "x")

Lyric Pad...I tried the trial and just bought the premium...how do you import a whole bunch of lyric documents at once though...I don't see that feature...??
Old 09-22-2019, 09:06 AM

Coincidentally I've been playing with this app with a view to using it at solo gigs. It has just about everything I was looking for and no bloat. Congratulations on your work and I hope it does well for you, Dan.

[Edit] This is an ancient thread so I expect Dan's no longer following it personally.

@Hotwired:

Copy and paste into a notepad of your choice, I use IA writer on my Android phone or iPad and store the .txt docs on Google drive.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Default i see

I think I see now...lyric pad is different...you have to literally, one by one, convert them all to text?

What if you have some that have NO chords, but others that have chords written in letter format over the top? Will they "stay put"? Or is lyric pad literally limited to just that: lyrics with no chord notation?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm struggling FAR more than I thought I'd need to to get this done.

I'm trying out MobileSheets Pro and sorta kinda liking it...some bugs and absolutely cannot connect via computer like it offers but it's got some good features. One of which is simply import 50 PDFs and wham, you're up and rolling! (you do have to manually create setlists and add songs to those setlists)
Old 09-22-2019, 08:15 PM

I'm mostly working from scratch so don't have the same issue but will have a play (to satisfy my own curiosity as much as anything else) when time allows and report back.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:07 PM

One question: Does Lyric Pad use a fixed-pitch font, so that chords remain in the same relative position to the text?

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification