The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 AM

Default spotify, thank you

Here a playlist one of songs got put into recently. It pays royalties I never would have imagined for myself

Thanks spofify! Hope you guys here one the forum can find something inspiring through music
https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/0PRs1Xaui4zCv9LdIIt20X
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Not sure I totally understand what you're telling us, but it's a cool playlist. Are you saying you're making good money from your one song in the playlist? That's interesting because the knock against streaming services is that they don't reward artists. Is that changing? Nice tune, btw.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
Not sure I totally understand what you're telling us, but it's a cool playlist. Are you saying you're making good money from your one song in the playlist? That's interesting because the knock against streaming services is that they don't reward artists. Is that changing? Nice tune, btw.
Although the richest of the rich are complaining about spotify and resisting it, I'm consistently getting $300-$450 a month from spotify, and almost the same with Pandora. Which is perfect for me as I don't depend on any record label. I market it all by myself. Now of course I would like a pay raise when it comes to my music being played on these streaming services. They do make a lot of moneys off of my music and all the others...

It's an additional income to my revenue stream and encourages me to continue writing new and timeless music, that may help support me and and my family..

Also considering my music is in a very niche market, it's nice to see this.

That's my 2 cents worth and my appreciation for making mailbox money.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 AM

And likewise, when you listen to this playlist you are helping other independent artist that play the acoustic guitar by itself... You're feeding into the legacy of acoustic music.

I have a lawyer student that takes lessons with me in DC using skype. Part of his firm is working with government and policy and things I don't understand to help increase the revenue stream for artist and such..
Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Lance,

Thanks for posting this. As a big fan of streaming music and acoustic guitar and AGF, (and a Spotify user) I'm always looking for new artists that play acoustic guitar solo or are singer/songwriter types to put into heavy rotation. Consider yourself added!

I'm also happy to hear that you are making what I consider decent money. Sure, it's not a living wage but like you said, it's something that augments your income and it's steady. Congrats on making a living doing what you love. That's the dream!

You're streaming as I speak!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lance,

Thanks for posting this. As a big fan of streaming music and acoustic guitar and AGF, (and a Spotify user) I'm always looking for new artists that play acoustic guitar solo or are singer/songwriter types to put into heavy rotation. Consider yourself added!

I'm also happy to hear that you are making what I consider decent money. Sure, it's not a living wage but like you said, it's something that augments your income and it's steady. Congrats on making a living doing what you love. That's the dream!

You're streaming as I speak!
Thanks a million!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 AM

Ok, I'm totally ignorant of this subject. How do you get on a playlist, and are you paid by number of times it's downloaded, played or what? Just curious...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
Ok, I'm totally ignorant of this subject. How do you get on a playlist, and are you paid by number of times it's downloaded, played or what? Just curious...

We could all be ignorant of how they do it because the algorithm is deep. Not every play gets paid and on and on. I'm just glad to get something.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Humanist

Yes, I've been doing pretty well with Pandora (link below), but I understand how folks would like to be paid even more than what the current laws provide for. Well over 500,000 tracks of my original music played over the past 90 days should net me more than what I have been getting.

Spotify seems to have just recently "kicked in" via my CD-Baby account, and while I'm also seeing results there, I still feel under-appreciated....read as: "under-paid".

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-17-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Yes, I've been doing pretty well with Pandora (link below), but I understand how folks would like to be paid even more than what the current laws provide for. Well over 500,000 tracks of my original music played over the past 90 days should net me more than what I have been getting.

Spotify seems to have just recently "kicked in" via my CD-Baby account, and while I'm also seeing results there, I still feel under-appreciated....read as: "under-paid".

Hey Larry, I also have been doing really well with Pandora radio. Actually your music shows up alongside of mine a lot of times. I'm brainstorming and brainstorming new ways to get the solo guitar stuff of mine out there
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Default spotify, thank you

I loved Spotify as I could call up any song I could imagine and create countless playlists. I cancelled my account after publicity over the user agreement allowing them to access to consumers phone data.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlancer View Post
I'm consistently getting $300-$450 a month from spotify

Wow, you must be getting hundreds of thousands of plays!

When I get one stream on Spotify, I get $0.0016.

.00016 x 300,000 = $480.

Keep it up.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Wow, you must be getting hundreds of thousands of plays!

When I get one stream on Spotify, I get $0.0016.

.00016 x 300,000 = $480.
Is he sitting around the house all day long, clicking on his own songs--or running a computer program for the same purpose? Is there an app for that? Grin.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
My understanding is that Spotify only indirectly pays recording artists. They have a readable payment formula at their site, by way. What it all boils down to is that ultimately the accumulated moneys go directly to the recording company and/or publisher, who then distribute monthly remunerations to the artist through a personal contract that dictates percentage of monetary allocation. Independent artists must still register for a fee (or percentage of take) with what Spotify calls aggregators, who then in essence act as agents of money distribution.

Last edited by Inyo; 11-20-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Is he sitting around the house all day long, clicking on his own songs--or running a computer program for the same purpose? Is there an app for that? Grin.

I wish it were that easy! Haha! The goal is to get on a popular playlist.
On acoustic concentration, my song is spinning nearly 10,000 time s day. There's no way one computer can generate that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
music