The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM

Default J. OF660'ers Anybody replace their tuners?

I thought maybe I had a problem with one but it checked out.

Which got me to wondering if anyone has replaced theirs with something better.

Any recommendations? Or don't fix it - it ain't broke.

What I don't want to happen is have it break when I'm 6k miles from nowhere.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

You can install Gotoh 510 mini with no modification.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 PM

I thought about it. I actually blacked out the bone saddle with keto dye (a trick compliments of GuitarLuva- an active CF poster who swaped out the black Graphtech saddle and swapped it with bone) and also installed a zero fret with bone saddle (also dyed). It looks more balanced to me now.

When researching drop in tuners for the OF660 there isn't a whole lot of options. The stock tuners are Grover Rotomatic Minis, and you can find them in black chrome, nickel, or gold. i thought about going with black to keep with the theme but the little chrome guys look fine on mine (matte blue top). I guess they don't bother me enough to spend $60-$90 dollars for identical tuners in function. I thought about locking tuners until I installed DR Sunbeams on mine (roundcore) and they are holding up even after breaking down the neck several times. If roundcore strings are unaffected by this abuse I see no point in investing in locking tuners, but that's just me. Also, that is a tiny headstock and any tuners will need a bit of room...and there is barely enough with the stock Grovers.

If you do find something and make a switch please post your results here as I also may have an interest. There was a post with someone who posted an upgrade to Gotoh 510 black locking tuners and it looks pretty cool- post #170

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...t=OF660+tuners
Old 09-04-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post
I thought maybe I had a problem with one but it checked out.

Which got me to wondering if anyone has replaced theirs with something better.

Any recommendations? Or don't fix it - it ain't broke.

What I don't want to happen is have it break when I'm 6k miles from nowhere.
Here at posts 43 thru 45
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6017905
No drilling needed. Just popped in and use the same Journey screws to secure since Gotoh threads are a bit different.
Fit's in carry bag the same.
Looks MUCH better.
Super happy.

More of the same here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=521231

Last edited by ac; 09-05-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Thanks for finding those posts.

I like the look of the black ones.

I think I will order a set and keep the orig. as backup.

I did a search on where to get them. I might contact the guy in Blaine since he's just up the road.

looking forward to it.

I like this little guitar. The most comfortable one I have to play. I'm liking smaller guitars more and more.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:32 PM

I replaced stock Grover with Goto Aged gold and spray painted the wing knob black.

Btw, I have been on the road since 8/25 and thoroughly enjoying OF660. I also brought Yamaha THR5A which takes care of volume issue. Personally the low volume allows me play/practice anywhere and with THR5a I can entertain a small group no prob.

I got lazy and stashed OF660 into backpack with the neck attached one time. The zipper scraped a coat off the neck. Make sure to wrap a piece of cloth around the neck in order not to damage the neck.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Default J. OF660'ers Anybody replace their tuners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
I replaced stock Grover with Goto Aged gold and spray painted the wing knob black.

Btw, I have been on the road since 8/25 and thoroughly enjoying OF660. I also brought Yamaha THR5A which takes care of volume issue. Personally the low volume allows me play/practice anywhere and with THR5a I can entertain a small group no prob.

I got lazy and stashed OF660 into backpack with the neck attached one time. The zipper scraped a coat off the neck. Make sure to wrap a piece of cloth around the neck in order not to damage the neck]

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up about the neck. I have done the same thing during travel but the backpack has always stayed stationary on the floor — no extensive hikes or bike rides (yet). I can see how that zipper friction could cause that damage.

I also took the awful plastic excuse for a truss rod cover off my guitar too- just unsightly! Now either need to fill the holes, deal with the looks as is or get a custom cover- that might be a cool idea right there.

When I’m not traveling I keep the Journey in a gigbag and that makes it kinder on my strings and I don’t have to reassemble. Now that this topic about the OF660 and tuner upgrades has come up again I find myself thinking that the Gotoh mini 510s look better than the stock tuners- they just seem to aesthetically match the contours of the guitar better. I’ve already had 510s on a guitar before and really really loved them.

I’m thinking cosmic black.....hmmmm

BTW Gitaman, what strings are you liking?

Last edited by steelvibe; 09-05-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Ouch! Thanks for the heads up about the neck. I have done the same thing during travel but the backpack has always stayed stationary on the floor — no extensive hikes or bike rides (yet). I can see how that zipper friction could cause that damage.

I also took the awful plastic excuse for a truss rod cover off my guitar too- just unsightly! Now either need to fill the holes, deal with the looks as is or get a custom cover- that might be a cool idea right there.

When I’m not traveling I keep the Journey in a gigbag and that makes it kinder on my strings and I don’t have to reassemble. Now that this topic about the OF660 and tuner upgrades has come up again I find myself thinking that the Gotoh mini 510s look better than the stock tuners- they just seem to aesthetically match the contours of the guitar better. I’ve already had 510s on a guitar before and really really loved them.

I’m thinking cosmic black.....hmmmm

BTW Gitaman, what strings are you liking?
Steelvibe, if you can make cool plates, I will order one.

I have tried most and settled on Elixier nano light. I rarely use a pick.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:27 PM

I don't make them but I've stumbled across this site before. Kind of pricey but this guy does nice work in my opinion. He will take your template and make what custom size you want. I don't think he will do carbon fiber but ebony would look just fine on these instruments.

https://www.nicholsinlay.com/custom-trcs/

Blasphemy say the purists! Wood on a CF guitar? Send him to the bottom of Davy Jone's locker!!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 PM

steelevibe...

where are you thinking to get the new tuners?

I kinda looked then got sidetracked.

You guys have been down this road before --- I come here for advice.

+1 on the neck issue. thanks!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post
steelevibe...

where are you thinking to get the new tuners?

I kinda looked then got sidetracked.

You guys have been down this road before --- I come here for advice.

+1 on the neck issue. thanks!
Well, I've not actually bought any yet but have done research. Keep in mind that I'm only going off of forum posts but would be reluctant to order expensive Gotohs without taking out my digital calipers and taking measurements of the stock Grovers to ensure a good fit. An easier way may be to look up the specs of the Grovers and compare with the Gotoh minis but I've not gotten that far. From first glance and with pictures as evidence it appears that the Gotoh minis (3X3) are a perfect fit.

Stewmac has 3 colors (non-locking, the only locking tuners at Stewmac are 6 "in line" for electric guitars). Here is a link to the non-locking

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...tal_Knobs.html

Luthiers Mercantile International Inc (Lmii) also has even more options in Gotoh minis (only the first page and maybe the top 2 tiles of the second page though- after which the tuners become full size)

https://www.lmii.com/search?controll...gotoh+510+mini

As I mentioned earlier, the Grovers can be also purchased in gold, black, or nickel but that isn't an "upgrade" per say.

I've not looked at Schaller, Ping, or any other offshoot Amazon brand...so not an exhaustive list but at least a start.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:18 AM

My Gotoh were "SGL510Z".

It did not say mini on the box, but these were perfect replacements for the Journey Grovers. No drilling needed. They fit well on the headstock, but had they been slightly bigger, maybe not. However, as you saw if you looked at my photos, it worked very well with the Journey.

If Minis are smaller, you may need to drill new holes. I wanted 1:21 ratio and I don't think Minis offered this ratio. I'm very happy with what I have and would be happy with 1:18 in this same size tuner body as well.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:17 AM

Thanks steelvibe: grist for the mill.

AC - I did look at your photos and I like the black on black. I think that is what I'm going to get.
thanks!

I'm not sure if I trust the stock tuners. I was trying to tune it the other day and it just cut loose. I thought I broke a string. nope. Then I was pretty sure when I turned the knob no movement at the stem. I set it aside and then came back to it the next day. worked. ?? now I sometimes don't see things as they are and I forget what happened 5min. ago so there is that.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 AM

Steelvibe, thank you for custom plate info!

Ac, mine is mini and fits perfectly on OF660 as well.

I do find Elixier nano a little twangy at times.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber