The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

I said, "I would sure like you to know how to help me if it's just the two of us out there." I think she mumbled something about life insurance.
LOL! And guitars actually really hold resale value too....
Old 08-28-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

I said, "I would sure like you to know how to help me if it's just the two of us out there." I think she mumbled something about life insurance.
Jesters are easily replaced, you may want to try and move up the food chain.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Jesters are easily replaced, you may want to try and move up the food chain.
Old dogs, new tricks, and understanding my place... over the years, I can see that I have slipped down in the food chain. There was a time when I was worth more alive than dead. More asset than liability. Apex predator.

I may change my screen name to... plankton.

Just kidding... I am comfortable in my current status of court jester. I am concerned that Rufus has begun to challenge me so the Alpha Male status could be in jeopardy. Fortunately for me, they both like the music I play. I may need to learn some new material.

But, back to the point: McPherson Sable or Emerald X20? I know where I stand on this.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
You'd think that you'd have it down after 9 ! Must be that mouth to mouth thing? I jest of course, hopefully you'll never need it, but if you do....
Yeah it's mandatory for my job as well to keep it updated, not necessarily a bad thing just a bit redundant. I hope I never have to use it. That being said there were points in the training where I think my training doll was coming to life. Oh sorry I have to call it avatar, they didn't like the word doll.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
That being said there were points in the training where I think my training doll was coming to life.
Anthropomorphism is a great way to find friends and lovers, but these type of friends can rarely think for themselves.

Always-shop-the-personified-ads is my motto:

"Looking for a guitar with great personality, warmth and depth. Only the best of Sables or X20s need reply."

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 08-28-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Anthropomorphism is a great way to find friends and lovers, but these type of friends can rarely think for themselves.

Always-shop-the-personified-ads is my motto:

"Looking for a guitar with great personality, warmth and depth. Only the best of Sables or X20s need reply."
That's true but on the bright side they can't talk back to you. I wonder how the wife would feel if I left her for a first aid doll....errr I mean avatar.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:13 AM

I played a Sable yesterday. It's a much warmer tone than my X20. I probably preferred it, but at the price I paid for my X20, I'm happy to stay with it.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I played a Sable yesterday. It's a much warmer tone than my X20. I probably preferred it, but at the price I paid for my X20, I'm happy to stay with it.
Thanks for getting us back on topic and I like that you mentioned price. While I wouldn't label any of the full carbon fibers guitars as cheap per say (Rainsong, Emerald, CA...) I know the price I paid for my X20 was cheaper than my Gibson Songwriter by a little and also roughly $2000 cheaper than a Taylor 814ce here in Canada for a worry free guitar.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:53 PM

I greatly prefer the sable tone to the X20. That being said I like the Sable and the X30 about the same.

The sable sounds more like a wood guitar and has rich mids.

The X30 sounds like a piano mixed up and listened to through the highest end hifi system you could imagine. It is also far more comfortable than a guitar that size has any right to be.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Guest 928

Nice ad Mot.

Winzzi; If the 30 sounds like a piano, then it should be your piano-playing wife's guitar, which would take up much less space than a grand piano, and free up enough space for a Sable in your stable. And remember, you can always mortgage your house.

Last edited by Guest 928; 09-15-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Nice ad Mot.

Winzzi; If the 30 sounds like a piano, then it should be your piano-playing wife's guitar, which should free you up for a Sable in your stable. And remember, you can always mortgage your house

Gee Unc.... you are good!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Nice ad Mot.

Winzzi; If the 30 sounds like a piano, then it should be your piano-playing wife's guitar, which would take up much less space than a grand piano, and free up enough space for a Sable in your stable. And remember, you can always mortgage your house.
What a great line... "a Sable in your stable". It reminds me of that TV ad back in the 60s of that grandma saying "put a Dodge in your garage, honey!", for those old enough to remember those commercials and Jan and Dean's "Little Old Lady From Pasadena".

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 09-16-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Guest 928

Winzzi;

It may be time to move along. As one of my colleagues once noted, "if our contemplation is not to turn to despair or lethargy we must in time take action." In this case a decision is really easy. You have two equally appealing instruments, both of which would not be hard to sell if not to your satisfaction. So flip a coin.

The rest of you;

Has anyone on this forum attempted to make payments to a maker for a down-the-road guitar?
Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 PM

The only thing I've ever done is the 50% up front payment to Emerald for a custom order. Oh, and 25% down for a custom shop Martin ordered through Elderly in 1990.

Obviously you have something in mind.....
Old 09-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winzzy View Post
I greatly prefer the sable tone to the X20. That being said I like the Sable and the X30 about the same.

The sable sounds more like a wood guitar and has rich mids.

The X30 sounds like a piano mixed up and listened to through the highest end hifi system you could imagine. It is also far more comfortable than a guitar that size has any right to be.
This thread is probably going to cause trouble in my house. Fret Central is only about 15 or 20 minutes from me and they have at least one Sable in stock. I already told my wife I am going there tomorrow.

Fortunately, I would only want one with honeycomb and the gold frets and tuners like my Tourings have. On their site, they say their Sable has honeycomb but nickel frets. However, they would be more than glad to order one for me and have it in short order.

I am sure the X30 is a fine instrument as described in this thread, but the Sable I can try before I buy.

Doggonit! ...not again...!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber