The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Stehr Baritone *** SBAIC INQUIRY

Hello to all,

After many discussions and ideas being thrown at each other, my good friend Joel Stehr and I have decided that he is going to build a baritone guitar for me (well, I decided... he agreed!). This will be my 2nd commission with him. As some of you already know, Joel is a class act, super artistic and in my opinion, builds a guitar that has tone to die for. Not to mention, the comfort and playability are as good as anything I've ever played.

The reason for the Baritone, is simple. I had played a couple at McCabe's in Santa Monica, and the thrill of strumming on one is not easily forgotten. Since then, I have played a few others, and simply put, they are fun! Even though I am remised about not introducing myself, I recall seeing our very own J.R. Rogers, with a grin from ear to ear while playing Bamburg's baritone in Memphis. I wish I had a picture because that is exactly how I felt when I have played one. With Joel's artistry, I believe we will be seeing a truly unique instrument that I will be proud to add to my quiver.

I will do my best to keep things updated and to reply to comments, but to be honest, sometimes work, and keeping up with my kids' soccer and schoolwork keeps me from posting a whole lot. I look forward to Sunday mornings while sipping my coffee and catching up with AGF. I do however, check in during the week from time to time.

The Specs...

SJ-Baritone 27.5" scale
13 or 14 frets to body (not yet decided)
Jacaranda back and sides
Adirondack top
EIR fretboard
Camatillo bindings
Camatillo arm and rib bevels
Bound sound hole
Bound sound port
maple purfling
Florentine cutaway
5-piece neck

The woods...

Last edited by nootis; 08-24-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

That's a spectacular back. How does jacaranda sound?
Old 01-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
That's a spectacular back. How does jacaranda sound?
I am by no means an expert, but I believe that some call it Indonesian Rosewood. Obviously that would put it in the Rosewood camp. Before he showed it to me, Joel said he had a wood that he had stashed for a number of years that looked like a Calico cat. He said it had a lively tap tone. Even though I am more of a "dog person", I thought it was unique and interesting, and I figured that it would make for a cool guitar.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

This build is a little bit underway, and I have more pictures to show.

Back braces..

Bindings...

More to come.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Beautiful wood and the whole thing just looks like fun -
Old 01-27-2016, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Last update, until Joel gets a crackin'! He's currently finishing up a guitar, then the focus should be more on this build. However, he does have some things progressing...

Rims are bent

At Healdsburg in 2013, Joel brought an SJ with a rosette he made out of matchsticks and epoxy. It was artistic, original, creative and I thought it was really cool. A very nice gentleman by the name of Doug, bought the guitar that weekend. By happenchance, I ate dinner one night next to Doug, aka "doodahdoug" when I attended Memphis, and mentioned that I was going to perhaps incorporate that idea on my future build. So thanks Doug! I asked Joel about incorporating some dots of MOP to add a little bling as well, because you can't have rims without a little bling...

Joel said he might make another rosette to incorporate the dots better, but this should give a good idea as to what the matchstick fuss is all about.

Doug's SJ...

We have a couple other things we are discussing about incorporating more matchsticks and MOP. Again, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 AM

Nootis,

That is going to be one Naughty, Naughty Kitty!

Congrats, I'll be watching.

Chris

PS - closet loaded and steady at 52% (28 in rest of house, lower outside). Pics in time.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 01-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Oh yeah--another Stehr!

Congrats on another Stehr in your arsenal, Nootis! You really can't go wrong working with Joel.

Looks like some stellar woods--can't wait to see how your matchstick rosette turns out.

I'll be following this one with interest...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:46 PM

That rosette is really cool!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Last update, until Joel gets a crackin'! He's currently finishing up a guitar, then the focus should be more on this build. However, he does have some things progressing...

Rims are bent

At Healdsburg in 2013, Joel brought an SJ with a rosette he made out of matchsticks and epoxy. It was artistic, original, creative and I thought it was really cool. A very nice gentleman by the name of Doug, bought the guitar that weekend. By happenchance, I ate dinner one night next to Doug, aka "doodahdoug" when I attended Memphis, and mentioned that I was going to perhaps incorporate that idea on my future build. So thanks Doug! I asked Joel about incorporating some dots of MOP to add a little bling as well, because you can't have rims without a little bling...

Joel said he might make another rosette to incorporate the dots better, but this should give a good idea as to what the matchstick fuss is all about.

Doug's SJ...

We have a couple other things we are discussing about incorporating more matchsticks and MOP. Again, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
I'm bookmarking this thread to follow along Nootis. Glad to see Joel revisit the matchbook rosette with some very nice MOP embellishment. This should be a very fun build to follow. Keep the progress reports coming!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your nice comments and following along Doug! We have some more tricks up our sleeve regarding the matchsticks. In due time.

Joel sent me this photo a couple of days ago...

Old 01-31-2016, 02:11 PM

Jacaranda is a genus of 49 species of flowering plants in the family Bignoniaceae, native to tropical and subtropical regions of Central America, South America, Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica and the Bahamas.[1] It has been planted widely in Asia, especially in Nepal. It is also quite common in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Australia. It has been introduced to most tropical and subtropical regions. The genus name is also used as the common name.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlmJn View Post
Jacaranda is a genus of 49 species of flowering plants in the family Bignoniaceae, native to tropical and subtropical regions of Central America, South America, Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica and the Bahamas.[1] It has been planted widely in Asia, especially in Nepal. It is also quite common in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Australia. It has been introduced to most tropical and subtropical regions. The genus name is also used as the common name.
The above was taken from Wikipedia.

My limited research has shown me that there is a lot of confusion about this wood. I too have confusion. From what I've read, the name Jacaranda is used loosely to describe wood that doesn't have a definitive origin. Some say that it comes from Indonesia from trees that lined plantations. Some say that it's Brazilian (I don't believe this). Some say it's EIRW. I'll have to ask Joel if he knows where it was sourced. The one thing I know is that Joel said it had a surprisingly bell like tap tone, he's had it a while and that I like the way it looks.

Last edited by nootis; 01-31-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added a couple of words
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 PM

I'm allergic to cats. But that baritone will be nothing to sneeze at!

Thanks for sharing the process. It's gonna be a beauty.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajawatt View Post
I'm allergic to cats. But that baritone will be nothing to sneeze at!

Thanks for sharing the process. It's gonna be a beauty.
Thanks bajawat!

Joel remade the rosette. Here is the exotic material he used...

And the rosette (minus MOP dots of course)...

Last, the Camatillo he will be using for to create the bevels...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop