The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackl View Post
Finally! As others here, I really like the trebles. But more imortantly to me, is the kind of natural sweetness to it that his guitars seems to posess. There is some kind of tender moment in every note comming, and it makes you listen for the next note, and the next without getting tired. Thx for posting.
Quite right, it has amazing dynamics, and the sustain is like nothing I've ever heard. That might because it's got a huge voice and projects so well to begin with. But on the other hand, as you've picked up, it can be played very sensitively. It does love lower tunings also, but it does well in standard too. It's in CG...right now.

thanks very much for contributing zackl.

Stuart
Old 03-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
Stuart, what a beautiful guitar! I'm curious about the finish on the neck. It appears to be a very low build satin finish with open pores or an oil finish. What can you tell me about it?
Ryan,

thanks for posting.

I'm trying to recall. It was may desire to have a less reflective more natural finish. The body was done in a french polish. The front is quite non-reflective also, satin like, though the back and sides look a little more reflective. Hopefully that wears off.

The neck has a great feel. I've fired an email to Jordan to have him remind me, so's I don't get it wrong. I'll provide an answer as he resonds.

all the best,

Stuart
Old 03-01-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
What I was able to read is that he plays with the band still as a founding member, but does not tour with them....
Looked them up and it did not list him in the band. Going to have to catch them once they play here again.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Looked them up and it did not list him in the band. Going to have to catch them once they play here again.
From the Duhks webpage, bio site:

“All of the people who have been in the band over the years, including non-touring founding members Tania Elizabeth and Jordan McConnell (who both appear on the album) have had a hand in shaping our sound and direction.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Thanks Marcus, I listened to your video. That's quite the guitar and loved the song. I only wish you could share that talent so I could really make this guitar sing!

all the best, and thanks for sharing.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart, you could always send the guitar over and I'll record something for you

Joking aside, will we hearing a sound clip on your end? If so, maybe a quick little A/B with your Walker too? You have a great collection of guitars there

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Such a lovely guitar in every respect. I had a chance to play Paul's McConnell and it was a dream to play and sounded fabulous as well. Congratulations and I look forward to hearing more of your playing on it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
Stuart, what a beautiful guitar! I'm curious about the finish on the neck. It appears to be a very low build satin finish with open pores or an oil finish. What can you tell me about it?
OK. I'd rather quote than paraphrase, so here is Jordan't reply to my inquiry relating to your question!

"The neck is finished in a polymerized tung oil. I apply it literally using my hand so I can control the build and lustre. There is a thicker build on the shaft of the neck than on the front and back of the headstock. I left those looking as clean and natural as possible for you. Wanted a decent build on the neck though for durability."

hope that helps, I think it's lovely with the satin look.

Stuart
Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Thanks Stuart, you could always send the guitar over and I'll record something for you

Joking aside, will we hearing a sound clip on your end? If so, maybe a quick little A/B with your Walker too? You have a great collection of guitars there
Would love too. Will take some time. Work has me at it 7 days a week right now. Appreciate the sentiment. Yes, have a 23 martin on the other wall. It's a sweetheart too. best,

Stuart
Old 03-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Such a lovely guitar in every respect. I had a chance to play Paul's McConnell and it was a dream to play and sounded fabulous as well. Congratulations and I look forward to hearing more of your playing on it.

Best,
Jayne
Really, wow, that is cool. Paul's guitar sounds fabulous. He had the whole inlay thing done too.

I tried to get to Dream guitar when on a holiday down south, but my Sienna van chose that day to significantly break down. The stars were shining on someone else's garden that day, and it was not to happen. But I ended up with a a Kim Walker guitar because I still had guitar spending money as a result of that missed adventure, so it all ended well.

thanks for posting!

Stuart
Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 AM

Do you have any updates on this world class guitar? Is it sounding even better (if that is possible) with playing? Do you still love it, if not send me a PM!!!!!
Old 04-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you have any updates on this world class guitar? Is it sounding even better (if that is possible) with playing? Do you still love it, if not send me a PM!!!!!
Sorry Tom, did not see this post.

Some post arrival feedback is warranted!

Jordan's guitar is a blast to play. I love the fan fret aspect. And visually, it's really finding a place in my heart.

It seems to adore lower tunings. 26.25 really helps on the low C string. The base has deepened since arrival - though it remains a very well balanced guitar.

It's the loudest guitar I own and the loudest guitar I've ever heard. Which allows you to play it sensitively and still get wonderful projection. It sounds plugged in at times. Remarkable.

The four higher strings have a ton of character. You might say, they are shear magic. I was playing in the veranda the other weekend as the weather warmed. It was approaching sunset. As I played a racoon climbed down the fence in our yard and approached. It stood up and watched and listened as though it too had found the answer to a burning question about tonal perfection.

The guitar is very forgiving. It's very easy to move around the fretboard, and you can play it hard without unwanted buzzing - I enjoy playing hard at times so this is important. I play finger style. At the end of the day Jordan did a wonderful job of the set up.

It's got sustain that knows no earthly boundaries. Sometimes I'll strum it with my bare thumb, or bare fingers, and hold the guitar up, moving it closer and then further from me, as the sound envelopes the room in incredible waves of bending tonal magic. Where that sustain comes from I simply cannot fathom.

It's a very inspirational instrument. The look, the feel, the simplicity, the inlay. I've never written so many melodies.

I have not put it down since I received it.

It was an amazing choice.

Let me know if you have any questions.

best,

Stuart
Old 04-11-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Sorry Tom, did not see this post.

Some post arrival feedback is warranted!

Jordan's guitar is a blast to play. I love the fan fret aspect. And visually, it's really finding a place in my heart.

It seems to adore lower tunings. 26.25 really helps on the low C string. The base has deepened since arrival - though it remains a very well balanced guitar.

It's the loudest guitar I own and the loudest guitar I've ever heard. Which allows you to play it sensitively and still get wonderful projection. It sounds plugged in at times. Remarkable.

The four higher strings have a ton of character. You might say, they are shear magic. I was playing in the veranda the other weekend as the weather warmed. It was approaching sunset. As I played a racoon climbed down the fence in our yard and approached. It stood up and watched and listened as though it too had found the answer to a burning question about tonal perfection.

The guitar is very forgiving. It's very easy to move around the fretboard, and you can play it hard without unwanted buzzing - I enjoy playing hard at times so this is important. I play finger style. At the end of the day Jordan did a wonderful job of the set up.

It's got sustain that knows no earthly boundaries. Sometimes I'll strum it with my bare thumb, or bare fingers, and hold the guitar up, moving it closer and then further from me, as the sound envelopes the room in incredible waves of bending tonal magic. Where that sustain comes from I simply cannot fathom.

It's a very inspirational instrument. The look, the feel, the simplicity, the inlay. I've never written so many melodies.

I have not put it down since I received it.

It was an amazing choice.

Let me know if you have any questions.

best,

Stuart
Ha, so you like it? No PMs coming my way I guess....So happy for you and jealous of you!!!! Peace.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Really, wow, that is cool. Paul's guitar sounds fabulous. He had the whole inlay thing done too.

I tried to get to Dream guitar when on a holiday down south, but my Sienna van chose that day to significantly break down. The stars were shining on someone else's garden that day, and it was not to happen. But I ended up with a a Kim Walker guitar because I still had guitar spending money as a result of that missed adventure, so it all ended well.

thanks for posting!

Stuart
Stuart,

This guitar is amazing... I did stop by Paul's place three years ago, and played his McConnell - I've never been the same since. Being yours has some similar specs like the multi-scale and rosewood neck, I bet yours sounds equally good!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ha, so you like it? No PMs coming my way I guess....So happy for you and jealous of you!!!! Peace.
I feel lucky to be honest that music has found a place in my life. I've all the guitars I need now. That is for certain. Peace.

Stuart
Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Stuart,

This guitar is amazing... I did stop by Paul's place three years ago, and played his McConnell - I've never been the same since. Being yours has some similar specs like the multi-scale and rosewood neck, I bet yours sounds equally good!
Paul's guitar certainly sounds like magic alright. I know I'll learn to bring out the best in Jordan's guitar. It will be a journey I'll be happy to take.

All the best as you seek out instruments(s) that inspire. Though one is certainly enough, I have a few guitars now.

Enjoy,

thanks for posting.

Stuart
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop