The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 PM

A Brazilian rosewood guitar I once possessed had several hairline cracks. Other beautifully figured Brazilian rosewood I have seen or held has also seemed like it would be prone to cracks. But I am sure that good cuts would also exist.

I don't think it is fair to say that a Brazilian rosewood guitar sounds better than a similar Indian rosewood guitar. There are different tonal characteristics but which one is better - chocolate or butterscotch?

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
... I know Tim McKnight did some work with Paul ....
I re-read that and realized it was said with WAY too much conviction. I have no first-hand "knowledge" nor do I "know" this - I should have said "I read about a guitar collaboration they did"

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-03-2014, 10:17 PM

I would encourage people not to get hung up on the "absolute" tone of the comments. You have to remember, this is on his website. He's probably speaking in more of an absolute tone for a specific reason regarding his business practice than he might in a casual conversation.
I dont know him personally, but I think we all say things a little differently depending on the context and the goal of our statement.

Whats important is the main gist… that the cost to benefit ratio is too high for him to think it's worth it on his instruments.

This by itself may or may not be a good reason to decide never to work with the wood. But when you DO factor in the ethical issues (as it has been requested we ignore here… for some reason) then I think a builder has a pretty compelling reason not to work with the stuff.

I have yet to meet a luthier who, if their being honest, can deny the high cracking rate of BRW with a straight face. One of the reasons BRW hasn't cracked as much on older guitars is because it was straight grained BRW. Most BRW being used today isn't… it's stump wood which is far less stable.

I personally feel very similarly. I wouldn't say I will never work with BRW again. But i've reached the point where I will only work with it for very special projects and for the right clients.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
I don't think it is fair to say that a Brazilian rosewood guitar sounds better than a similar Indian rosewood guitar. There are different tonal characteristics but which one is better - chocolate or butterscotch?
Good analogy--since it's pretty obvious that chocolate is in another, higher league than butterscotch.

This has been on Paul's website for about 8 years, speaking of conversations with zombies. Paul has also said, "The way I build, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any two "rosewood-sounding" guitars." That could be taken in different ways. And I think Paul has never built a guitar from Brazilian, which may also have some relevance.

But the thing I want to address is cracks. Sure, Brazilian rosewood often cracks with age; after 50 or 60 years, most BRW guitars will have a crack or two. Quite a few will have one after 20 years. So will those made from cocobolo, bloodwood, ziricote, or, for that matter, cedar or spruce.

SO WHAT???

After 50 or 60 years, most guitars will have a crack or two. Particularly if they were made with wood. It doesn't matter. Repair the crack and they are good to go. I've noticed that there is a divide among guitar players between those who have owned vintage guitars and those who have never bought a used guitar or owned a guitar that was older than 15 years or so. The latter group tend to think of a crack as "Omigod! It's BROKEN!!!" The former just ask, "has it been repaired?" A tight, repaired crack makes no difference to the life of an instrument. Cracks relieve stress. Some think they are good for tone. When they are well-repaired, the guitar is better than new structurally and sonically. Even if Paul's bit of hyperbole (that every BRW guitar will crack) were true, that is not a reason to avoid BRW. Cracks per se are No Big Deal.

Paul's saying that he would have to exclude BRW cracks from his warranty is a bit off the point, since he won't build with it (and remember, this was several years ago). I'll fix them under warranty if the guitar has been well cared for. If attended to promptly, crack repair is easy.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 12-03-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
but which one is better - chocolate or butterscotch?
Chocolate.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

I hate to pile on but chocolate is definitely better than butterscotch. And I think I'm being objective.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I hate to pile on but chocolate is definitely better than butterscotch. And I think I'm being objective.
And I'll take Cabernet over the both of them...put together!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
And I'll take Cabernet over the both of them...put together!
Everything Thanksgiving, I remember that homemade cranberry sauce is my favorite food in the world.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-04-2014, 06:57 AM

why was it "chocolate or butterscotch"? Shouldn't it have been "chocolate or vanilla"? Though, cream cheese danish is great too. Choices. Hmmm...
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 AM

The question that haunts me at night...dark chocolate or medium-rare Kobe beef?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Being a long time AGFer I'll take pizza served on a stable and more sustainable EIR platter.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Chocolate covered butterscotch is pretty good too...
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Humanist

Thank you, Howard.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I have three Brazilian rosewood guitars I built myself about 45 years ago (in my late teens) and I had a fifty year old Brazilian rosewood Ramirez classical. None have developed cracks in the back or sides (even though one did develop a top crack in the spruce).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
This absolute statement that all BRW cracks, like all absolute statements, is absolutely wrong

Mark
My sentiments exactly. And I am being diplomatic about it

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop