The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-15-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
The videos were shot and recorded by Don Latarski, a friend of Ray's, up in Oregon before the guitar was shipped to me.

-B
Cool. I guess I was (and still am) a little confused since that video is over 7 months old.

In any case, enjoy your new guitar.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Cool. I guess I was (and still am) a little confused since that video is over 7 months old.

In any case, enjoy your new guitar.
Oh! I'm with you now. The guitar spent two stint in finish with Addam Stark. As you know, Ray is kinda obsessive about fit and finish being perfect. Plus I told Ray to just take his time, so there was a significant stretch between its initial completion and Ray deciding it was truly complete.

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 PM

Brett

That's a beautiful looking guitar you've ended up with If it sounds as good as it looks (and it does sound fantastic played by Don earlier in the thread), one might feel that 4 years' wait was justified after all... I hope!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions... maybe even seeing a video or two?

Congrats either way

Jon
Old 03-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Default Kraut OM Review (a few days in)

Hi all-

I wanted to post some thoughts now that I've had the Kraut for a few days. I received it last Friday, played it a fair bit that evening, was gone all day Saturday, played it again a fair bit Sunday, and then changed the strings early this week (it had medium John Pearse and I replaced them with medium D'Addarios). So I've had the guitar a few days, played most of my go-to tunes on it, changed strings, and played it some more.

First, the easy and fairly objective part: the fit and finish are perfect. Ray really knows how to make everything line up, look good, join, polish, etc., etc. From the finish (thanks Addam Stark) to the construction, the bracing, the label, the rosette, tuners, headstock, the tiny red line used to outline the headstock, it's all perfect. The Brazilian is indeed stunning, and very unique.

(I need to post photos as Ray and his partner, Anne, were unable to take photos due to rain and his desire to get the guitar to me sooner rather than later. I'll try and take some good ones this week.)

Second, setup and playability: the guitar plays very, very, very easily. It's 1 25/32" (that's 1/32" wider than a standard 1 3/4" nut width), and it's rather shocking how big a difference that 1/32" makes on spacing. Now, keep in mind, I have smallish hands and at BEST average length fingers. So I'm always wary of extra width. But here, it feels roomy and comfortable. The neck is solid; it's not one of those super slim carve jobs, for which I'm thankful. It's not beefy or a baseball bat (I'm looking at you Michael Greenfield, or if you like, the Kostal Jason built for Michael Watts), but it's solid and feels great. It plays fast, and absolutely thrashes the Collings I'm borrowing in the "Easy to play" department.

Now, on to the VERY subjective part. This guitar is very much in the Somogyi lineage. I can't recall a guitar I've played other than an actual Somogyi (including several Beauregards, Matsudas, an Ebata, and even Krauts) that had as much of a ringing, reverb-ery high end. It's not mind-numbing, but all 3 of the highest strings (1, 2, and 3) have an incredible resonance and ring to them. You can hear it without activating multiple strings, too; just plucking the 1st string gives you the fundamental and overtone content. It's really unique.

At the same time, I find the bass less so, and I find -that- to be a good thing. The bass is more fundamentally oriented, and has less going on, which I find helpful. Overall, the guitar really excels ("sings" you might say) in DADGAD ballads and lyrical pieces. The sustain lasts for days, so you'll often hear the overtone content in particular from a root D for measures after the string was actually played. I do think that's where this guitar absolutely excels: pieces where notes have time to ring and the brilliance of an overtone series can hang for a bit, adding depth and shimmer to a piece of music.

I will say, as I always try and be even-handed, that it's not yet to my ear as ideal for faster pieces. The Don Ross piece I'm learning ("The First Ride") sounds a bit clearer to my ears on the Collings, which is as fundamental and straight-ahead a guitar as you'll find in the small-shop world (hog/adi). I think that makes sense, though, and doesn't detract from what the Kraut is doing. I also think that I hear quite a difference after changing strings; my instinct is that as the new strings settle a bit, more fundamental will emerge. It may also be that 80/20s would be better than phosphor bronze here.

All in all, this is a fantastic and phenomenal guitar that is broader than a "niche." I need to live with it a bit longer to determine if it is truly a "do everything that I do" guitar, or if it fills a large portion of my repertoire but needs a companion to handle faster pieces that need a "drier" sound.

I have to imagine this is straight-ahead Ray Kraut, some of his best work. I haven't played every one of his guitars, but between the ones I've played and the materials, I'm not sure there are many "better" Krauts out there.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughtful and illustrative impressions of your new guitar. I know from first hand experience, it can be difficult describing sound and feel, but you did an excellent job. Enjoy your new guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Hi all-

I wanted to post some thoughts now that I've had the Kraut for a few days. I received it last Friday, played it a fair bit that evening, was gone all day Saturday, played it again a fair bit Sunday, and then changed the strings early this week (it had medium John Pearse and I replaced them with medium D'Addarios). So I've had the guitar a few days, played most of my go-to tunes on it, changed strings, and played it some more.

First, the easy and fairly objective part: the fit and finish are perfect. Ray really knows how to make everything line up, look good, join, polish, etc., etc. From the finish (thanks Addam Stark) to the construction, the bracing, the label, the rosette, tuners, headstock, the tiny red line used to outline the headstock, it's all perfect. The Brazilian is indeed stunning, and very unique.

(I need to post photos as Ray and his partner, Anne, were unable to take photos due to rain and his desire to get the guitar to me sooner rather than later. I'll try and take some good ones this week.)

Second, setup and playability: the guitar plays very, very, very easily. It's 1 25/32" (that's 1/32" wider than a standard 1 3/4" nut width), and it's rather shocking how big a difference that 1/32" makes on spacing. Now, keep in mind, I have smallish hands and at BEST average length fingers. So I'm always wary of extra width. But here, it feels roomy and comfortable. The neck is solid; it's not one of those super slim carve jobs, for which I'm thankful. It's not beefy or a baseball bat (I'm looking at you Michael Greenfield, or if you like, the Kostal Jason built for Michael Watts), but it's solid and feels great. It plays fast, and absolutely thrashes the Collings I'm borrowing in the "Easy to play" department.

Now, on to the VERY subjective part. This guitar is very much in the Somogyi lineage. I can't recall a guitar I've played other than an actual Somogyi (including several Beauregards, Matsudas, an Ebata, and even Krauts) that had as much of a ringing, reverb-ery high end. It's not mind-numbing, but all 3 of the highest strings (1, 2, and 3) have an incredible resonance and ring to them. You can hear it without activating multiple strings, too; just plucking the 1st string gives you the fundamental and overtone content. It's really unique.

At the same time, I find the bass less so, and I find -that- to be a good thing. The bass is more fundamentally oriented, and has less going on, which I find helpful. Overall, the guitar really excels ("sings" you might say) in DADGAD ballads and lyrical pieces. The sustain lasts for days, so you'll often hear the overtone content in particular from a root D for measures after the string was actually played. I do think that's where this guitar absolutely excels: pieces where notes have time to ring and the brilliance of an overtone series can hang for a bit, adding depth and shimmer to a piece of music.

I will say, as I always try and be even-handed, that it's not yet to my ear as ideal for faster pieces. The Don Ross piece I'm learning ("The First Ride") sounds a bit clearer to my ears on the Collings, which is as fundamental and straight-ahead a guitar as you'll find in the small-shop world (hog/adi). I think that makes sense, though, and doesn't detract from what the Kraut is doing. I also think that I hear quite a difference after changing strings; my instinct is that as the new strings settle a bit, more fundamental will emerge. It may also be that 80/20s would be better than phosphor bronze here.

All in all, this is a fantastic and phenomenal guitar that is broader than a "niche." I need to live with it a bit longer to determine if it is truly a "do everything that I do" guitar, or if it fills a large portion of my repertoire but needs a companion to handle faster pieces that need a "drier" sound.

I have to imagine this is straight-ahead Ray Kraut, some of his best work. I haven't played every one of his guitars, but between the ones I've played and the materials, I'm not sure there are many "better" Krauts out there.

-Brett
Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM

So I shouldn't jump to the classifieds just yet?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
So I shouldn't jump to the classifieds just yet?
Tom-

That's yet to be determined. Honestly, there was nothing in even my wildest planning that had me getting a Traugott this year. So I've got a pretty awesome–but equally expensive–guitar coming. That's something I'm thinking a lot about.

So if I do determine that the Kraut really needs a companion to fill out my musical needs, I'm not sure I'm in a spot where I can keep it AND the Traugott. It may have to go.

That certainly isn't what I'd expected, and it's not decided yet. It's SURE not how I planned things to go. The Kraut is really a wonderful guitar with a lot of beauty ... it's just not clear what the finances of having TWO really high-end guitars would look like here.

This guitar thing is never as easy as it seems when you just order one guitar, ha!

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 PM

Default Decisions!

Regardless what choice you decide to make in the near or distant future, it is up to you and only you. This is a beautiful guitar in every way, but it seems as if you have been completely honest in your situation. As I mentioned in prior conversing, you have had your hands on some phenomenal guitars. You know what is best for you. Should you decide to let this beauty go, I am sure that there are several people willing to jump at the chance to own this Kraut.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on yet another gorgeous guitar!
Shane
Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgas View Post
Regardless what choice you decide to make in the near or distant future, it is up to you and only you. This is a beautiful guitar in every way, but it seems as if you have been completely honest in your situation. As I mentioned in prior conversing, you have had your hands on some phenomenal guitars. You know what is best for you. Should you decide to let this beauty go, I am sure that there are several people willing to jump at the chance to own this Kraut.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on yet another gorgeous guitar!
Shane
Thanks, Shane, that's a very kind and generous statement. I appreciate it very much.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Whoa! Congrats to Ray for knocking this one outta the park! Enjoyed the review, Brett!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:04 PM

I'll admit I'm pretty envious myself. Might be my favorite-looking guitar... ever?

Would love to hear sounds, and see high-quality photos. I might find a new desktop image in this thread!

-PT
Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Default Additional Photos

I'm no pro, and I'm no Mau, but here's what I've got...

The guitar ready for use:

Another view, focused on the rosette against the top:

More of that top:

Here's a closer look at the rosette:

Finally, an artistic shot that I like almost more than anything else:

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-19-2015, 12:45 PM

Great job, yes it is a looker for sure. I also am a big fan of your last shot!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

It looks clean and gorgeous, and I hope it makes you smile to play it. I enjoyed your review and look forward to seeing if your relationship develops. If nothing else, as you said, it's a stellar guitar, and if not for you in the end, I'm sure someone will love to own it.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

We'll, when one guitar costs almost $30,000, you're going to have to make some choices. I'm assuming you're not going to get much change out of 15 grand for the kraut. Jeff's guitars start at 27 grand. I wish I had that budget 😄

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop