The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Ryan, this guitar is coming out very nicely. It's got complex elements in an understated package. Just beautiful.
Thanks mikealpine! I hope that I achieve "complex elements in an understated package." I think that the tension between 'complex' and 'understated' have been in my head while building this guitar. I don't want to overdo it, but at the same time I want to let inspiration take the lead. I'm hoping that when you see the neck finished that you will still think the same thought.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM

Default Almost there!

I'm approaching the end of 4 weeks, and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Today I began the finish process, pore filling and getting the first two of the four coats of uv cured polyester. Things are looking really clean and I'm really happy with things thus far.

Here are few pics from the days' work.

This is a pic of the first two coats before any level sanding.

Again, first two coats, before any level sanding.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

What a handsome guitar! Neck is perfect, and the spalted maple (yes?) overlay on peghead, end graft and heel cap is inspired.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-22-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
What a handsome guitar! Neck is perfect, and the spalted maple (yes?) overlay on peghead, end graft and heel cap is inspired.

Steve
Thanks Steve! I felt like the spalted maple on the heelcap and back of headstock was a little risky, and really debated between that and something darker, but now that I see it together I'm really liking the contrast. I think it's just what it needed.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Holy cow!! Geez, from out of nowhere! How long you been building man? Your work is very nice and clean!

Brad
Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolayaGuitars View Post
Holy cow!! Geez, from out of nowhere! How long you been building man? Your work is very nice and clean!

Brad
Hey Brad, I started about 4 years ago, taking steps as they come along the way. Over the last ten months or so I've finished seven guitars, so I've been fortunate to keep going. I'm sure you know it's not easy to get started. Thanks for the kind words! The pursuit of "clean" is endless.

By the way, I found you a while back and really admire your work. Also, your website is one of the best out there. Good work! I can tell you can an eye for photography.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Really like how the backstrip and the laminated neck form one continuous sight line of travel. Great clean detailing...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Well, congratulations for keeping it going! You really have a great aesthetic eye, and the cutaway in that guitar is the perfect shape for it! It really flows nicely with the lines.

Keep up the good work and thank you for the kind words! I dabble in photography but my wife is the professional, and the builder if my website, so I'll tell her you like it! Keep it up!

Brad
Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Well, congratulations for keeping it going! You really have a great aesthetic eye, and the cutaway in that guitar is the perfect shape for it! It really flows nicely with the lines. Plus your rosette sort of reminds me of a compass which I like as a lover of travel!

Keep up the good work and thank you for the kind words! I dabble in photography but my wife is the professional, and the builder if my website, so I'll tell her you like it! Keep it up!

Brad
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Not really sure how that ended up posting twice...mods?? Thank you.

Brad
Old 08-22-2013, 02:36 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

The rosette reminds me of Falling Waters, the frank Lloyd wright house in pa, love it!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolayaGuitars View Post
Well, congratulations for keeping it going! You really have a great aesthetic eye, and the cutaway in that guitar is the perfect shape for it! It really flows nicely with the lines. Plus your rosette sort of reminds me of a compass which I like as a lover of travel!

Brad
Well, we both have wives who are professional photographers! It's nice to have a nice camera around to take pictures.

Question about the website - is it built from scratch or is it built on something like drupal? I don't know much about websites but I've been talking with a friend about getting one up and running. He suggested using a drupal format.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM

Default Shot of the day

The bridge is on and the neck buffed and ready to go. Tomorrow, I hope to get some strings on see what she sounds like!

List of tasks for tomorrow are as follows: level, crown and polish the fretboard, sand and buff out the back and sides of the body, made the nut and saddle, install tuners, fit bridge pins, ....anything else? Should be a full day, which is why I'll be going in EARLY! The birth of a new guitar has always been an exciting event. Hopefully that trend continues tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Ryan, quite simply, I like everything about the guitar. However I love the look of the neck. It is about as rich as Belgian chocolate. Great work! Would love to hear this guitar when it's all done becoming a guitar.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

What ever happened to this guitar? It's gorgeous! We want an update!

TK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop