The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-02-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Someone expressed an interest in my X10 Nylon...

Way back when someone hit me up with a PM to keep them in mind as someone interested in my X10 nylon slimline should I ever decided to sell. I lost your PM. Please PM me again.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Umm...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=553597

Old 09-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Guest 928

Double UMM...
Old 09-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Double UMM...
What Unc UMMMED
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

I love the guitar but I've started to get what feels like an arthritis-like pain in the two center knuckles of my left fretting hand from the wide nut of the X10. I'd hoped to acclimate with the thinner neck thickness but after several months play I've noted it only goes away when playing the X7 or thinner necks. So it would seem that 1 3/4" nuts are my max. I'm bummed as I do love the nylon feel and that thin body is just so off-the-charts light and comfortable. Now I'm really glad I dodged the bullet and kept the X7!
Old 09-02-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I love the guitar but I've started to get what feels like an arthritis-like pain in the two center knuckles of my left fretting hand from the wide nut of the X10. I'd hoped to acclimate with the thinner neck thickness but after several months play I've noted it only goes away when playing the X7 or thinner necks. So it would seem that 1 3/4" nuts are my max. I'm bummed as I do love the nylon feel and that thin body is just so off-the-charts light and comfortable. Now I'm really glad I dodged the bullet and kept the X7!
But... but... but... you took the pickup out of your X7, right? What are you going to play when playing out? Do I smell another custom on the horizon??
Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
But... but... but... you took the pickup out of your X7, right? What are you going to play when playing out? Do I smell another custom on the horizon??
Jim, Jim, Jim... You need to venture outside of Carbon Fiber forum once in a while. There's a whole life going on out there!! Although it's possible that even if you do venture out into the General Forum on occasion you would have missed a recent NGD post from me because due to the name on the guitar it very quickly faded into the back pages - twice. I recently picked up a used Cole Clark from a guy in Australia after playing one in local store and finding that everyone who raved about their pickup systems was dramatically understating just how great the CC's are for live play. Here's a direct link to my NGD (so you don't have to dig into back pages to find it!):

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=555083

Lol - no more customs! Unless Emerald starts to offer them with the CC 3-way pickup!
Old 09-03-2019, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

I've never been lucky enough to see or play a CC, but I know the ones Jack Johnson plays sure sound great ! Nice review.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Scott... of course, you are right: I don't get out much. Out there in the main forum? Where the people don't understand CF and their guitars are brittle and fragile? And they insult each other's choices? Yes, I stay here, where it is safe and friendly. And I can leave my guitar out, regardless of the swings in relative humidity. And where upturned soundholes abound. And we talk about things like: strings and neck contours, but we do it in a friendly sorta way.

Truth be told, I have enjoyed your guitar journey. I am not one to go through guitars in rapid fire fashion. That is certainly not a criticism. I appreciate you single-handedly doing your part to keep the economy going.

Congrats on the new guitar and thanks for the link. I enjoyed the video review. Something to be said for "plug and play." Enjoy! May you enjoy many weeks, possibly even a couple months, with this new find.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks, Scott... of course, you are right: I don't get out much. Out there in the main forum? Where the people don't understand CF and their guitars are brittle and fragile? And they insult each other's choices? Yes, I stay here, where it is safe and friendly. And I can leave my guitar out, regardless of the swings in relative humidity. And where upturned soundholes abound. And we talk about things like: strings and neck contours, but we do it in a friendly sorta way.

Truth be told, I have enjoyed your guitar journey. I am not one to go through guitars in rapid fire fashion. That is certainly not a criticism. I appreciate you single-handedly doing your part to keep the economy going.

Congrats on the new guitar and thanks for the link. I enjoyed the video review. Something to be said for "plug and play." Enjoy! May you enjoy many weeks, possibly even a couple months, with this new find.
Yes, the running joke in our house is when I buy a new guitar I proclaim loudly and with great confidence to my wife, "This is the LAST guitar I will ever buy!" She runs over to the calendar and writes that down on that day for (a usually relatively short lived) posterity.

At least with my one-in, one-out general policy keeping the economy going I'm at least not bankrupting myself. Truth be told that with the exception of the two full customs bought new, I've always broke even in the end. And I didn't lose much on the one custom I've sold. So there's that.

I'd like to think that someday my collection will stabilize. That will happen when I find guitars that are absolutely awesome plugged in for gigging. So while I hate to say it out loud and jinx it, and because I know me and my proclivity of liking to try new things, this Cole Clark is the first guitar that I've bought that leaves me wanting for nothing, NOTHING, when it comes to amplifying it. So, there's that.

Another wrinkle is that my wife has decided to learn to play the guitar! She's now learning on the X7 and she's loving that. So that guitar is safe. The X10 does amplify fairly well so is currently the backup for the new CC but there's still the issue with the pain in the fretting hand from the wide string spacing of the X10. Another wrinkle is that I'm suddenly playing a lot with a pick for the first time in years.

So I have some decisions to make. I've been thinking of grabbing a Cole Clark Little Lady or Maton EM-6 as a backup since both are nice small guitars that are known to be great plugged in. Leaning towards the Little Lady since it would be the closest thing to my CC Angel as it sports the same pickup system. But they are really hard to find. Apparently they don't make a ton of them yet. Especially in the Australian Blackwood I prefer.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm able to keep you amused, Jim. And you're absolutely right about the scary world outside the cloistered walls of our beloved CF forum! It's dangerous out there!!!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Guest 928

CC Methos;

Interesting and understandable. I wasn't bothered by the nut width, but the thinness of the neck was a bit bothersome. I know a lot of people don't like the thick neck on the Rainsong nylon parlor guitar, but I find it comfortable; but I don't like its narrow nut width. It's hard getting it right where you want it.

The CC is beautiful and I'll be checking to see if the company does any nylon string instruments.

Last edited by Guest 928; 09-05-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

While I'm normally not a fan of thin necks (like Taylors) and prefer a little beef like the Mod V's (Martin) I did have a couple Martins with Mod V's that had wider string spacing of 1 13/16" (000-28VS) and 1 7/8" (00-28VS) that were bothersome due to the combination of width and thickness. I found the thinner neck of the X10 with the wide nut to be comfortable to play. At least at first.

But I think the longer scale that necessitates wider finger stretching to make those open chords is what led to the strain and subsequent discomfort in the fretting hand. I know I don't get it on the CC's which are even a little more narrow than 1 3/4". You're right though - it's so hard to tell just what is going to work well and what is not until you've got it in your hand and you've played it a while.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Not sure if I am understanding correctly, but does the guitar in question have both a wide fretboard AND a thinner (front to back) neck? If so, I can say that my own experience with a classical guitar I once owned that had the typical wide fretboard and thin (front to back) neck, was that I got hand cramps from it. The more "baseball bat or club" style neck, typical of classical guitars, gave my hand more leverage and I don't get cramps from that.

This is one of those cases in which you have to live with the guitar a while before you can know what issues you might have, so buying and selling is the only way I know of to get into and out of some of these situations.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-03-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Yes, that is the case. But I get no cramping from the neck while I'm playing. In fact, I find it very comfortable to play. In this instance I think it's more a case of my small-to-medium sized hands (short fingers) struggling to make the stretches. For those that prefer a 1 7/8" nut and are used to that, I think they would find this guitar extremely easy and fun to play. Unlike regular classical guitars that have 2 inch plus nut widths and flat radius fretboards, this X10 has 1 7/8" width and a radius. So it really plays like most normal guitars with 1 7/8" nut widths. In fact, I auditioned a nylon Taylor with those dimensions and the feel was very similar.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:46 AM

I think it was me...but my nylon is on order right now...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber