The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2021, 05:25 PM

Default LIGHT BULB: Slide/Open Tuning

This piggybacks a similar thread I started.

I want to play slide on songs in the key of E, maybe F.
I used to tune to Open-D, and then have to capo-up, shortening the fretboard a ton.
Also, in Open D my slide playing sounded pretty poor, even though I knew I had a fairly decent grasp of the technique.

JUST NOW ... I tried Open E tuning, figuring it would be the same chord inversion as Open D, and I would have much more fretboard.

Well, I was right...BUT...the tighter string tension mad the string collapse less under weight of my brass slide, and my playing sounded wonderful!

Aside from what I just stated, what does this tell you about my technique, set-up, slide, etc, that I may be missing?

Has anyone else noticed that their technique must change between Open D and Open E???
Old 04-15-2021, 12:37 PM

Without knowing more about what you heard that was pleasing when playing in Open D, it’s hard to offer much feedback.

I do find myself wondering if the action on your guitar is “normal”, or if you have raised the action a bit in response to your use of a slide. Most folks who play slide without raising the action won’t sound as good (in a variety of ways). IMO.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
This piggybacks a similar thread I started.

I want to play slide on songs in the key of E, maybe F.
I used to tune to Open-D, and then have to capo-up, shortening the fretboard a ton.
Also, in Open D my slide playing sounded pretty poor, even though I knew I had a fairly decent grasp of the technique.

JUST NOW ... I tried Open E tuning, figuring it would be the same chord inversion as Open D, and I would have much more fretboard.

Well, I was right...BUT...the tighter string tension mad the string collapse less under weight of my brass slide, and my playing sounded wonderful!

Aside from what I just stated, what does this tell you about my technique, set-up, slide, etc, that I may be missing?

Has anyone else noticed that their technique must change between Open D and Open E???
First and foremost: What strings are you tuning to open E, and on what sort of guitar? Open E can be very detrimental to an acoustic guitar bridge unless you're starting with extra light gauge bronze strings.

Aside from that: It's your technique. You are not controlling the mass of the slide, and more than likely you're actually pressing slightly.

I use a massive glass slide made from a magnum champagne bottle, and I play in open D a LOT! I have no issues controlling the glass/string contact pressure while still allowing the mass of the glass to control the mass of the string.

My guitars are all set up to be fretted or bottled. No difference.

Here's an example:

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-15-2021, 03:37 PM

Ive been working on Doc Watsons version of Sitting on Top of the World in open tuning. Josh Turner does it on YouTube, and he's tuned to Eb. So I now have a guitar tuned to Eb(had 2 for awhile, enjoying it now on my LG2). I like the key for my voice, and while I'm there, I've begun playing a slide lead in the middle. I tend to agree, the higher tension feels and sounds better. I'm only sharping the A and the 4th string D, so I don't feel too concerned about too much tension. This Eb thing suits me pretty well!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion