The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2021, 04:29 PM

Default Too Many Guitars

Blasphemy I know.

I have 4 guitars that I play around the house but don't play in front of anyone except for once a quarter at church. I have a wife who can think of many reasons I don't need this many guitars.

My justification for keeping them is 1. I like these guitars. 2. The would be hard to replace. 3. I have 4 kids and could leave each kid a nice guitar.

Let me be clear, nothing is for sale

Even if I were a good husband and going down to one guitar like my wife would like I can't decide which I would keep and which I would get rid of.

I have a:
2000 Petros Applecreek D: bought used in 2002, my dream guitar, I love everything about it. I've sworn many times I'd never sell it
1952 Gibson Souther Jumbo: recently acquired for a steal, plays and sounds amazing, good condition for its age. I assume it's only going up in value
2000 Lowden 025C: My first nice guitar. Great sound, I sold it to buy my wife's engagement but was able to buy it back a decade later
1966 Guild D40: My wife bought this for me for my birthday from a pawn shop shortly after we got married because she felt bad that I sold my Lowden to get her a ring.

There's no real good justification that I should keep each of these great guitars, they don't make me any money and I don't play them near enough, but I feel like I can't sell any of them because they have a story or are unique or I know I won't be able to afford them again.

So two questions. 1. If you could only keep one or two of those guitars, which do you keep? 2. For those of you with 'too many' nice guitars who don't make a living with them...how do you 'justify' keeping them?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2021, 04:38 PM

Keep them all. Who says you have to justify having them? But if you really feel bad, you can always contact me and I’ll take them off your hands.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Keep them all except the worn out old Southern Jumbo,
sell it to me for a steal ...

-Mike
Old 03-13-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I am the only one who will decide which guitars stay or go. If I want to keep them, they are staying.

It's not like you have 50 guitars occupying an entire room in the house.

4 guitars doesn't even qualify as a collection, does it? Very modest, if so.

Go through your wife's closet and tell her which shoes need to go. (No, not really)

Let her catch you browsing the websites for new guitars...Or better yet, *accidentally* leave a page open on the computer to a $12k custom boutique job, so she will stumble on it when you are not home. That should take her mind off your current guitars.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:54 PM

Keep them. Just play each one in front of your wife from time to time. That way she knows they get played.

Then it's easier when you want to buy another one.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-13-2021, 05:09 PM

How do I justify owning more then one nice guitar............life is short and I deserve to be happy. So do you. Next question
Old 03-13-2021, 05:12 PM

I love you guys.

Her comment was, "these guys are what you would call enablers"🤣
Old 03-13-2021, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Any time I see a post that states a person has way to many guitars I hit the link and hope one of them is the guitar I’m looking for. Once I find it I will then have to many guitars, and I will let you know how I justify it. Now back to our regularly scheduled program
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-13-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Tell her you’re thinking about buying a boat
Old 03-13-2021, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

OK...serious question here. How long have you been married? We've been married over 40 years and this is the sort of issue that doesn't even get discussed in my house. And I have more than four guitars...
Old 03-13-2021, 05:36 PM

14 years. She isn't too bad about it. We just own a small house so she would like the space. Thankfully she doesn't wear the pants.

I own a boat, and she's actually like to use the money from the guitar to upgrade the boat, so she isn't all bad😂
Old 03-13-2021, 05:40 PM

Marie Kondo, the author of "The Life-changing Magic Of Tidying Up" would have you examine each guitar carefully, asking yourself "Does this bring me joy?".

If the answer is yes, it goes in the keeper pile.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj579 View Post
14 years. She isn't too bad about it. We just own a small house so she would like the space. Thankfully she doesn't wear the pants.

I own a boat, and she's actually like to use the money from the guitar to upgrade the boat, so she isn't all bad��
No kidding. We probably don't still have four kids still in the house though. My first question, which at this point is of no help, but how exactly does the wife know that there are four guitars?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-13-2021, 06:11 PM

I’d definitely sell the Guild (apologies to your wife). Definitely wouldn’t sell the Gibson or the Petros.

I have more than four guitars. My wife is fine with this, but I know what she wants, so I do my best to keep all my guitars and other stuff (an amp, cords, books, tools, strings) out of sight most of the time.

We have been together for 31 years.

My wife has ways that she spends money (clothes, exercise classes, girls getaways, etc.) and I support and encourage that. I spend money on guitars and guitar lessons, and my wife supports and encourages that. We don’t have a boat.

We are fortunate: while we can’t spend money on everything we want, we have enough money to do most of the stuff that is most important to us, and that promotes our day-to-day happiness. But it wasn’t always this way, and it sounds like you and your wife are at a different stage of life than my wife and I, and that you are facing some decisions about money that we have already resolved.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:15 PM

Four Guitars?!!

That is it? Tell her to consider herself lucky. And no I don't sell them (probably will have to at some point).

About a dozen or more tube amplifiers to be turned into guitar amps. Probably double that with the lose parts on hand.

Dresser full of tubes. The shelving with speakers, cant have amps without speakers. The white storage in front, guitar parts goodies.

You need wood to make guitars, right? Picture from a few years ago. With the additional pieces bought here and there I can't get them all into the picture so why bother? Then there is half the garage that is a wood shop. The workshop in the basement to build the guitars.

Tell the wife she is lucky, then show here this. Still learning how to play yet. And then there is the keyboards and the drums. I think one day I'll put together a little recording studio yet. But everything takes time. I was just in the process of cataloging the parts, you forget what you have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion