The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-12-2020, 05:47 AM

Default Kestrel Unplugged ?

I'm wondering how an Emerald Kestrel sounds unplugged. The only videos I've seen have used the really warm/mello pickup. How would it sound with (or without) a mic? What would be a good metaphor for a Kestrel without an amp?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 06-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I'm wondering how an Emerald Kestrel sounds unplugged. The only videos I've seen have used the really warm/mello pickup. How would it sound with (or without) a mic? What would be a good metaphor for a Kestrel without an amp?
Here is an example of what the Kestrel sounds like unplugged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfYboK8LeE

The Kestrel has a reasonable amount of volume, especially when played with a pick, but it doesn't move as much air as a dreadnought guitar or a 12 fret parlor guitar. And then, of course, strings make a big difference in the sound. I would say that my Kestrel sounded like a very well balanced flattop acoustic, i.e., one without a pronounced bass end. This was when it arrived from Emerald with a set of D'Addario roundwound 12's. Now I have a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing flatwound 12's($25 a set - ouch!) and the sound, while remaining well balanced, is more in keeping with what I'd expect from an acoustic archtop. It does the jazz comping thing spectacularly well. Now, keep in mind that sustain is decreased with TI Jazz Swings which were really designed with comping in mind. I've never had a chance to try out TI Bebop flatwounds and I don't know if I ever will given that the Jazz Swings suit my ear well so the Bebops would be an expensive experiment at the price. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:49 PM
Guest 928

Nice play, nice sound. I am somewhat surprised at the acoustic presence. What a sweet guitar. Thanks for the demo.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Nice play, nice sound. I am somewhat surprised at the acoustic presence. What a sweet guitar. Thanks for the demo.
BTW, I’m not the player. It’s Joseph Leighton who’s done a number of demos for Emerald.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
Here is an example of what the Kestrel sounds like unplugged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfYboK8LeE

The Kestrel has a reasonable amount of volume, especially when played with a pick, but it doesn't move as much air as a dreadnought guitar or a 12 fret parlor guitar. And then, of course, strings make a big difference in the sound. I would say that my Kestrel sounded like a very well balanced flattop acoustic, i.e., one without a pronounced bass end. This was when it arrived from Emerald with a set of D'Addario roundwound 12's. Now I have a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing flatwound 12's($25 a set - ouch!) and the sound, while remaining well balanced, is more in keeping with what I'd expect from an acoustic archtop. It does the jazz comping thing spectacularly well. Now, keep in mind that sustain is decreased with TI Jazz Swings which were really designed with comping in mind. I've never had a chance to try out TI Bebop flatwounds and I don't know if I ever will given that the Jazz Swings suit my ear well so the Bebops would be an expensive experiment at the price. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input! I missed that one.
That's a huge difference from the pickup. It still sounds OK. But, not nearly as good as the pickup.

I can't believe this forum has a lack of metaphors.
A Kestrel without an amp, is like a prom date without a car.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 06-12-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
That's a huge difference from the pickup. It still sounds OK. But, not nearly as good as the pickup.

Sometimes you don’t want to plug in and every night isn’t prom night.

Time flies like an arrow and fruitflies like a banana.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I had a van.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Wonderful. Much better than the video presented IMHO. I have been playing my Kestrel unplugged for the last couple of months. I have been playing it four different ways. I also have flatwounds on mine.

1) Melody lines with a pick. It's probably the best acoustic guitar I have for this. My hand placement is usually between about the 5th fret and 12th to 15th fret. She has such a sweet voice.

2) Chunka-chunka chords with a pick. I suck at doing this at speed, but I am OK at a few simpler Dixie Land style tunes. The Kestrel can hold her own against a few horns and a banjo. She has a 90 degree sonic cone that is amplified by those f-holes and works great with a small group. I haven't had a chance to try a big band group, but I might sometime.

3) Fingerpicking simple tunes. She's pretty good at this. I suck though. I try to take a easy-ish tune (like I Can't Help Falling in Love With You or Tears in Heaven) and play around with it. I can play it OK using open notes and sticking near the nut, but when I start trying to reach to the next octave the Kestrel sounds better while I fall apart.

4) Jazz chords with melody runs. I suck here too, but the Kestrel shines with chordings of lots (Probably all) of jazz standards. She's made for this format and forces me to practice more so I can sneak the tune in while keeping the beat going with the chords.

With my X20 I tend to play more country and rock standards that I fake the intros to and then strum the chords while singing at the top of my lungs. I can do that with the Kestrel too, but I tend to break into one or more of the four groups when I have her in my lap.

I like the Kestrel so much acoustically that I am probably going to take the pick up off mine for a while and keep it that way until I need a pick up again. It looks like an easy and reversible change. I sent an email to Alistair to find out any tricks I should know first, but haven't heard back from him yet.

If (more likely when) I get another Kestrel, I will order it without a pick up. I like the acoustic Kestrel that much.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-03-2021, 12:33 PM

Talking I think I need an Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had a van.
where the band was on the stand
playing...
Old 04-11-2021, 04:04 PM

I tried the Kestral acoustic. It had nowhere near the tone and volume of my Loar LH700 archtop. Very quiet and thin in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber