The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM

For me it's an AR905 (there, that's two archtop references). Which is a beautifully made, good playing and sounding instrument.

FWIW no guitar has ever blown my mind, which is still intact.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmartin View Post
http://imageshack.us/f/252/various041.jpg/

Well here is my new one, and have to say.......very impressed. deep clear tone . Adi/Hog E10SS.
def +1.. e10ss very nice..
Old 10-19-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish5 View Post
So if Jean Larrivee gets the "best fraction of 1 percent" what do Martin,Taylor, Collings, Gibson, Breedlove, Froggy, Santa Cruz and every other high end guitar maker get?

So you're saying Eastmans are cheaper because they use subpar woods and not because they use cheaper labor and you don't pay up for that little name on the headstock?
right on..

i know the adi on my E10SS came from john at 'old standard'..
it's a burst and may be hiding some 'colour variation'..just like gibs used to do on their J-45's...but sound like any +++artist grade i've ever heard before.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:33 AM

Just to say that I just spent about 10 days in Vancouver and Victoria BC area for professional reasons,, had time to visit many guitar shops and some luthier's workshops too, and guess what, I ended up bringing back home in Europe an Eastman EP10. That guitar really sounded different to my ears. I already own a few high end guitars and it's true that these Eastmans can really compete with most of them.
One last thing, my luthier keeps telling me wait and see what this guitar will be in 10 years or more. That's when real quality of craftmanship shows.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
GAS is back again, income tax return is in....I want one Rosewood guitar, all the rest are Mahogany.

So Eastman lovers, which direction shall I cast my gaze?

The 20 series seems pretty nice. But I am an Eastman newb.

Entice me! What Eastman floats your boat?
None of them.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 AM

none of them,I like one builder guitars.ie Campellone.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Ditto.. I have road tested upwards of 75-100 Eastmans over the years, not a single one blew my mind. Two were worth considering if priced fairly.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish5 View Post
So if Jean Larrivee gets the "best fraction of 1 percent" what do Martin,Taylor, Collings, Gibson, Breedlove, Froggy, Santa Cruz and every other high end guitar maker get?

So you're saying Eastmans are cheaper because they use subpar woods and not because they use cheaper labor and you don't pay up for that little name on the headstock?
On a wholesale level, the value of the wood in an all solid wood guitar is a smaller fraction of the value of a guitar tha you might think. Not insignificant, but small. Even at full retail from LMI, the premium wood for a dreadnaught is worth $350. That's Adi or German spruce, Indian RW back/sides, honduran mahog neck. The cost is the labour to make the guitar.

And Martin, Taylor, etc etc also have their sources for the best 1% of the wood. These companies don't make that many high end guitars so there is premium wood for all. I've seen a picture of Jean Larrivee by a log boom here in British Columbia standing on a huge Sitka spruce log destined for his factory. That is one advantage many don't have.

Last edited by Daddyo; 05-19-2014 at 01:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops