The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-10-2021, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default how to change saddle on an Emerald X7

I play with x-tra light gauge strings beause of an old injury to my right thumb. If I found that the shorter neck makes for less tension on the strings, and I want to change to light gauge, how would I do this? I like a low action and I'd I'm not heavy handed with strumming. I mostly finger pick but do some flat picking. Would I need to get an extra saddle from Emerald? Is the LR Baggs Element pickup attached to the saddle or does it just lie underneath.

So the basic question is, how do you adjust the action on an Emerald x7 with a Graphtech low friction nut and saddle. Would I need to see a set-up person?

Seems like the Element doesn't come with a tone control. I'm looking on LR Baggs website. That seems like a disadvantage.

Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-10-2021, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

If you want to install lighter strings, you would just change them, if you have never done this, there are a lot of youtube videos on different methods. A fairly easy job.
The pickup DOES just lay under the saddle, so if you need to lower the action, you can sand off the bottom of the saddle. Put a capo on the strings to keep them in place, then loosen them and remove the bridge pins to remove the strings and saddle. You have to be careful to keep the bottom of the saddle flat. Again, there are a lot of youtube videos to help.
It's not a bad idea to get a new saddle to "play" with, that way you can always get back to stock. And it's always a good idea to have a good setup done by a tech if you are inexperienced or don't have the proper tools. Tell them what you want and pay the $$$. If your nut needs filed, they can check and do that too, it does take special tools and knowledge.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:26 AM

Is this for an X7 you already own or a new one you intend to order?

If it is a new order then why not go for the fully adjustable bridge?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
it does take special tools and knowledge.
Thanks jdinaz. I wouldn't attempt this. I wonder if people who do setups can work with Tusq.

Quote:
Is this for an X7 you already own or a new one you intend to order?

If it is a new order then why not go for the fully adjustable bridge?
I ordered an X7 that was in stock. I have no idea if it will be what I want, but I decided to take the gamble. So it already has the old bridge on it. Even if it was a new order, I've heard no feedback as to whether the adjustable bridge changes the tone of the guitar. The idea of an adjustable does appeal, and I read, I believe, that you can also tweak the intonation, but that might just be on an X10.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks jdinaz. I wouldn't attempt this. I wonder if people who do setups can work with Tusq.
Tusq is really no different to work with than other materials. One of my Emeralds was set up nice and low, the other not, so hopefully you will be OK as is !
Old 04-12-2021, 12:26 PM
Anticipation Junkie

If I’m understanding this correctly, simply changing from extra light to light strings should not require any change to a saddle. If the saddle needs an adjustment because it’s too high, then that’s a personal string height preference irrespective of such a slight gauge difference.

As mentioned, having an extra saddle to play with is not a bad idea. So if you want to adjust the saddle, it’s pretty easy to do and there are plenty of videos to help. If you’re not happy with the result, then spend the money on having a tech do it. You may find that you’re quite able and like to do it.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

What Tom said

Assuming the nut slots are cut properly and the frets are leveled (which should be the case with an Emerald), a basic setup relief adjustment/saddle height takes very little time and skills. Check videos on the net.
I would bet that you won’t have to change anything going from X-Light to Light with a carbon guitar.

If I remember correctly if you want to buy a second saddle you need a GraphTech Black Tusq XL PS-9280-C0 Acoustic saddle compensated 1/8"
Old 04-12-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Tom & Tef. Davy is throwing in an extra Tusq saddle in case I need it. He's been great! I also enjoy his playing. I heard him on an X10 video.

I sure hope I like this X7. Otherwise I'll have to send it back. Awhile ago I was thinking of having an X7 with a shorter scale (about 25") X10 neck, but they are no longer doing that kind of work. I generally like thinner necks with
a 1 11/16 nut, which, unfortunaley for me, are going the way of the dodo birds, except on some dreads. I'd like a carbon fiber guitar, but don't want to go smaller than the X7. And I found the X10 too big. Sometimes I feel like goldilocks.

I played Ray's X7 a couple of years ago (thanks, Ray!) but I needed to play an X7 again before I ordered a custom. Lost my opportunity.

If this doesn't work, maybe I'll have to get a 3D printer!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:20 PM

Hey, Karen,
When you get the X7 I'd love to come up on a nice day when we can be outside and try it.
Barb
Old 04-13-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Awhile ago I was thinking of having an X7 with a shorter scale (about 25") X10 neck, but they are no longer doing that kind of work. I generally like thinner necks with
a 1 11/16 nut, which, unfortunaley for me, are going the way of the dodo birds, except on some dreads. I'd like a carbon fiber guitar, but don't want to go smaller than the X7. And I found the X10 too big. Sometimes I feel like goldilocks.

I played Ray's X7 a couple of years ago (thanks, Ray!) but I needed to play an X7 again before I ordered a custom.
Happy to see you're trying an Emerald again.
If you find that the new X7 (V3) is too big, perhaps the previous (smaller body sized) X7 (V2) might be more comfortable.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 04-13-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added (V2) & (V3) to clarify
Old 04-13-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks 121 for the detailed information.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:26 AM

i bought my x20 last sept and thought it was the easiest player of all my guitars. i had all of my taylors set up with low action but this played much better. so yesterday, after my lesson i had the action lowered and new strings. Only $69 and well worth it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber