The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-01-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

I sat down one day for a couple hours and really worked out the concept of geometry and build it into my work board. The work board is just stacked MDF about 3in thick. Then on top I laminated various thickness sheets of balsa wood and carved in the lower bout arch and also the canted top so that there is a rise from the top of the sound hole to the head block which sets the angle that the fretbard will ramp up to the bridge. Once it's carved out I glazed the balsa with thin CA then coated with epoxy to give it strength. The bridge is designed to have a string height of 1/2in over the sound board with 2-3/16th inch of saddle. I also build an A-Frame and arch the UTB.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ended up working. A nice straight light from the nut all the way to the end of the FB to the bridge. I can almost make my saddle height perfect without much fuzz in one go.
Then you set the neck angle from the rise between the top of the sound hole and the neck block in your work board, I understand.

Its a very interesting info, thank you for sharing!
Old 04-02-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurdillo View Post
Then you set the neck angle from the rise between the top of the sound hole and the neck block in your work board, I understand.

Its a very interesting info, thank you for sharing!
Let me put it in pictures for you.

This is my work board:

The clamp in the middle here pushes on the bridge patch and the UTB holding the top down to the shape of the Solera. The braces of course are arched to fit too:

You can see how it's dished out and the top is canted:

The Upper Transverse Brace is arched:

So when it's Complete it has a ramp from the head block to the top of the sound hole:

Old 04-04-2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Let me put it in pictures for you.

This is my work board:

The clamp in the middle here pushes on the bridge patch and the UTB holding the top down to the shape of the Solera. The braces of course are arched to fit too:

You can see how it's dished out and the top is canted:

The Upper Transverse Brace is arched:

So when it's Complete it has a ramp from the head block to the top of the sound hole:

Thank you very much for your kindness in sending these illustrative photographs. Now I fully understand how your system works.

Congratulations, because it is evident that you have studied the problem of the neck angle in detail.

I didn't know that in the case of acoustic guitars, the neck angle is towards the back, because I am used to thinking in a forward angle, as is the case with classical guitars and lutes.

Therefore, these messages represent a very interesting learning for me and a vision never explored by me.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2021, 10:16 AM

It would be really cool if Bruce would post a picture or two of his 'luthier's apprentice', if I can remember the name right. I have searched for it and other than just glimpses of his while he had a guitar on it, it is about as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

“The Apprentice” is a fixture made and marketed by Bill Schmidt, who stepped back about 10 years ago. It holds an instrument securely buy the body and the neck, and is quickly adjustable to hold any size guitar as well as just about any other string instrument. I use it mostly for set up work on guitars and violins. It is NOT a solera or work board equivalent. . . Although it could hold one, I suppose. Several on my peers in Northern California adapted the Apprentice to their work. Allegedly, mine was made for Ervin Somogyi, who didn’t take to it.

I am not in the shop at the moment, but will add a picture later.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Darn, confused again. But I guess everybody wins knowing more of Bruce's methods.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Bruces’ “apprentice” is so well used, I’d assumed it was something he built decades ago. But as I started checking it out to build similar, I found out he’d bought it. Not long afterwards, a new, unused one came up for sale, and I didn’t need to think twice. I was originally thinking of posting pictures and plans for it, and tried reaching out to get permission, but never got a response. I’m hesitant to go further, but it’s a great tool -

Here I have it mounted on an old outboard tool rest stand - very heavy and stable, but have since moved it to a cabinet for the drawers to hold tools. There is a base assembly that is a iron unit I most readily identify as the base for an old mitre vise -it has the ability to rotate up about 90d, and spin around 360d, so you can lock it in at almost any angle or arrangement. It does not adjust up/down, which would be useful.

I can take more pics if desired - but thats essentially what it is -
Old 04-05-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Bruces’ “apprentice” is so well used, I’d assumed it was something he built decades ago. But as I started checking it out to build similar, I found out he’d bought it. Not long afterwards, a new, unused one came up for sale, and I didn’t need to think twice. I was originally thinking of posting pictures and plans for it, and tried reaching out to get permission, but never got a response. I’m hesitant to go further, but it’s a great tool -

Here I have it mounted on an old outboard tool rest stand - very heavy and stable, but have since moved it to a cabinet for the drawers to hold tools. There is a base assembly that is a iron unit I most readily identify as the base for an old mitre vise -it has the ability to rotate up about 90d, and spin around 360d, so you can lock it in at almost any angle or arrangement. It does not adjust up/down, which would be useful.

I can take more pics if desired - but thats essentially what it is -
That one looks like it came right out of the factory as compared to Bruce's. Hey, maybe Bruce will do a quick demonstration in the next luthier meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to use the nifty segmented trussrod design (I can't remember the presenter's name).
Old 04-05-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
That one looks like it came right out of the factory as compared to Bruce's. Hey, maybe Bruce will do a quick demonstration in the next luthier meeting. I am still trying to figure out how to use the nifty segmented trussrod design (I can't remember the presenter's name).
That was Robert Siminoff IIRC.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tad's picture is easier to understand, but here's mine. I have it mounted on an Optometrists table, and also have my HHG glue-pot, my set up tools, and other things hung on the table where they-re handy. It's been in the same spot for long enough to refinish the surrounding floor with HHG.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:30 PM

Looks like some sort of medieval torture device
Old 04-06-2021, 03:13 PM

Always love seeing pictures of your shop.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Always love seeing pictures of your shop.
I'm wondering what he uses that big brush for
Old 04-07-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering what he uses that big brush for
Others use a Tonerite. Bruce gently wakes his guitars up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair