The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Gfirob--I'll look into your suggestion.

Ed66--Great idea. I'll crowd fund for the guitars!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 AM

I have never broken a wound string in all my years of playing guitar. I wouldn't spend a minute worrying about it if I were you.

(I can't remember ever breaking an unwound string either, on an acoustic, but I am sure some people doing crazy bends manage to do it.)

A set of strings is cheap, and by the time you break one it's probably going to be time to replace the set anyway. Just buy a several sets at a time at a discount, and forget about it. Life is short
Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM

I use the Retros and break strings every now and then (being heavy handed). I get a few single wound strings, D'Addario pure nickel for replacements. These don't exactly match the Retros but are close enough and keep me from having to change out the whole set. Just Strings carries these singles, which are listed as electric guitar strings.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Dadzmad.

And I just spoke with Curt Mangan of Curt Mangan strings. What a helpful person he is. Gave me lots of info. I will buy the monel strings from him as they have sing strings. I have no idea if I will like it on my guitar, but I'm curious. They have both round core and hex monel strings.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 PM

I have several custom built mandolin family instruments; 8 and 10 stringers with octave pairs, tuned in fifths. Nobody makes packaged sets for a 26" 10 string mandocello. I always make up a set from single strings. My local mom & pop music store sells me single strings and gives me a wholesale price since I buy so many.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks Dadzmad.

And I just spoke with Curt Mangan of Curt Mangan strings. What a helpful person he is. Gave me lots of info. I will buy the monel strings from him as they have sing strings. I have no idea if I will like it on my guitar, but I'm curious. They have both round core and hex monel strings.
I think you will like them.
I found them to be just a tad better than the Retros. Curt is good people and he has good employees as well.
Shout out to ya' Curt!!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Some people (myself included) are just more prone to breaking strings than other players. For me I can usually get two gigs safely out of a set of strings before I break a "D" or "G". I prefer Phosphor Bronze strings on my guitar so I buy a dozen singles of each string and they do me for a few months. If I'm playing 3 or 4 shows in a single weekend, after the first two shows I'll go ahead and swap the "D" and "G" with new strings and finish the weekend. Because all the strings are fairly fresh, I don't notice the new strings sounding different from the originals. I'm putting new strings on the gigging guitars every weekend. I realize some players never break a string, but just because they don't have the problem doesn't mean that nobody has the problem.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Some people (myself included) are just more prone to breaking strings than other players.....I realize some players never break a string, but just because they don't have the problem doesn't mean that nobody has the problem.

Exacto mundo! This is why I will never try Martin Titanium strings. I can’t justify $40 for a set that may not last when I tune my A to a C, or a G to an F# repeatedly. Like many players I dabble in alternate tunings, and while I haven’t personally broken a string in a very long time, it may be due to the fact I’ve owned nothing but short scale guitars for the last 4 years.

You have to find what works for your playing and can have little to do with your knowledge of how to string a guitar.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
And it’s precisely why I never cut until the strings are on, tuned, ‘stretched’, and everything’s good to go. That ‘Taylor’ method is a bugger-up waiting to happen.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
It was stupid. It was only the 2nd time I'd ever tried that method and of course, I did it on an expensive set of strings. I've been doing it since and have yet to repeat my mistake. *knock on wood*

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion