The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 09:48 AM

I have five, that’s counting the acoustic bass that I never play but am going to, “some day”. I bought the first of my six strings in February of 2020 and the other three in about a 12 month period. I have since had an epiphany. I have realized that more isn’t always better and that it’s “how” not “how many” that counts. I now focus on learning to play (self teaching) correctly, cleanly and within my abilities. By that I mean not trying to play faster than I can without making numerous mistakes or attempting licks that are just way beyond my skill level, and I am a much happier player now that I am working within my abilities, and wife unit is happier now that those big boxes are not showing up on the doorstep every few weeks.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:52 AM

I have 13. Don't feel bad. As long as you can afford them then have at it. Life is too short.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I tend to be shy of answering the constantly asked question "How many guitars do you own?" and develop distractions - "look-a squirrel!"

I have more than you, and I'm not ashamed ... really.

GAS is a long term ailment.
The only (possible) cures are:
a) lack of storage space
b) financial hardship
c) arthritis
d) divorce
e) golf
f) any other ill-advised expensive hobby such as flying, racing cars, boating, fishing, drinking, chasing wimmins etc.

(N.B.-I don't recommend golf)
Golf is definitely not a cure for GAS. Buying golf equipment is simply an alternative form of the same illness. After buying a new set of clubs a few months ago, my golf GAS went into remission. So I went out and bought a Stratocaster.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 05-27-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
My wife would let me spend $100,000 on guitars and have them stacked around the house.
Where do you guys find wives like that??? 😂 I own 5 guitars but would easily have twice that number if not for my wife already thinking I'm some sort of hoarder.

In all honesty, I get a bad feeling of guilt over having trouble playing all my guitars enough as it is. My goal is to settle on 3-4. E.g 1 electric, 1 nice ($1500+) acoustic, 1 decent ($500-800) acoustic, and 1 beater acoustic
Old 05-27-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

From 2016 to 2019 I owned 4 guitars (Martin 000-18MC and 000-28VS and Gibson J-45 Standard and L-1 Blues Tribute) and a Fender acoustic amp. No major purchases during that time. Before that was a 5 year gap with no purchases. In general, it has been a series of long gaps between musical purchases over a couple of decades, due to multiple factors.

Since 2019 I have added 7 more (Gibson L-00 Vintage and J-185 Original, National Triolian and Style 1, Fender Strat and Tele and a Gibson SG) and a Marshall amp and then gave away the L-1 to my daughter. So 10 guitars of mine in the house now plus lots of other musical stuff and darn it I was actually looking at a Martin 000-15SM lately!

It has to stop. This burst of endless GAS has not caused financial hardship, my wife is cool with it, they all get played regularly and this is my only hobby but seriously 10? I'd have to be completely bonkers to add another.

Anybody else have it this bad? I suspect not!

Hhhhmmmm..... 000-15SM, you say?

D.H.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinray View Post
Golf is definitely not a cure for GAS. Buying golf equipment is simply an alternative form of the same illness. After buying a new set of clubs a few months ago, my golf GAS went into remission. So I went out and bought a Stratocaster.
Funny thing about golf. When I was still working full time, a number of my co-workers played golf. They always seemed frustrated and sometimes even angry at themselves because the ball never seemed to go where they wanted it to. I figured golf must be a very frustrating game.

At least with playing guitar, we can have fun without having to be great players. There is room for everybody.

As for GAS, I think any hobby has at least something involving equipment and a range of quality for that equipment, leading to people wanting better as they themselves get better at whatever the hobby is.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-27-2022, 12:32 PM

No worries, just look at my signature, obviously hasn't been a problem for me. And that doesn't include the electrics, basses, amps and drum sets. Oh my.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 05-27-2022, 12:48 PM

If it's not a financial issue, then it's a personal thing. I was up to 5 really nice acoustic guitars and it just seemed like that was too much for me. I eventually thinned my collection down to 3 nice acoustic flattops. Sometimes I do think that 4 wouldn't be a bad number
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-27-2022, 01:00 PM

all depends on your financial stability - going into a recession
It can be challenging . If i was to let something go it would a guitar easily replaced - or one that is too simalr to another . their are worse hobbies
Old 05-27-2022, 01:13 PM

Trying to trim down is even worse if you build them. Luckily at least half of the ones I build have homes before I start them.

And then there's the 'projects' you bring home to get running. Strangely reminiscent of my previous vintage motorcycle problem. Not really trying to make money on them, just get them running, take them around the block for a few laps, then rehome them.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
...So 10 guitars of mine in the house now plus lots of other musical stuff and darn it I was actually looking at a Martin 000-15SM lately!

It has to stop. This burst of endless GAS has not caused financial hardship, my wife is cool with it, they all get played regularly and this is my only hobby but seriously 10? I'd have to be completely bonkers to add another...
Old 05-27-2022, 01:38 PM

Thankfully most of these are now gone. But during COVID/lockdown, my guitar buying (and, thankfully, selling) got a bit out of hand. So since early 2019 I’ve had pass through:

Gibson SG Modern, Black Fade
Gibson ES-335, Blonde
Gibson SG Classic
Fender Original 1950s Stratocaster, Mary Kaye
Atkin 00037-S (EIR b/s)
Martin HD-28 P
Martin RM50
Martin 0-15 (1948)
Gibson J45 Vintage x2 (2016 and 2019)
Atkin OM Custom (ebony b/s)
Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
Atkin L36 Custom (maple b/s)

Thankfully, with the loving assistance of my bank manager (and my wife), it’s now under control. All bar the Strat and the Atkins are either gone or going - I’ll have a total of 2 electrics and 3 acoustics.

In all honesty it probably was a bit much, even for me - GAS was definitely a distraction from other things going in my life. Now I’m concentrating more on playing than buying!
Fender Mary Kaye American Original Strat
Old 05-27-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

From 2016 to 2019 I owned 4 guitars (Martin 000-18MC and 000-28VS and Gibson J-45 Standard and L-1 Blues Tribute) and a Fender acoustic amp. No major purchases during that time. Before that was a 5 year gap with no purchases. In general, it has been a series of long gaps between musical purchases over a couple of decades, due to multiple factors.

Since 2019 I have added 7 more (Gibson L-00 Vintage and J-185 Original, National Triolian and Style 1, Fender Strat and Tele and a Gibson SG) and a Marshall amp and then gave away the L-1 to my daughter. So 10 guitars of mine in the house now plus lots of other musical stuff and darn it I was actually looking at a Martin 000-15SM lately!

It has to stop. This burst of endless GAS has not caused financial hardship, my wife is cool with it, they all get played regularly and this is my only hobby but seriously 10? I'd have to be completely bonkers to add another.

Anybody else have it this bad? I suspect not!

The very best thing to do would be to keep the National Tricone, sell ALL the others and with the funds buy a beautiful (top of the line) Lowden S50!

BluesKing777.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:44 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
The very best thing to do would be to keep the National Tricone, sell ALL the others and with the funds buy a beautiful (top of the line) Lowden S50!

BluesKing777.
No way BK!
Old 05-27-2022, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Well I have six which is overkill for my playing ability. Craziest thing is I have my first mandolin on the way.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion