The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Martin vs Furch
Martin 68 64.15%
Furch 38 35.85%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2022, 01:49 AM

I'll chime in as I have both a Martin and a Furch, albeit in grand performance/grand auditorium size rather than dreadnought. They are very different guitars.

The Martin was my first nice acoustic guitar. It gives me what I envision in my head as the classic acoustic sound, and I will never part with it. I love that it has a certain... growl... when I really lay into it. However, I eventually succumbed to GAS and decided that I needed to have another nice acoustic, perhaps a spruce top to contrast with the all mahogany Martin.

I set out on my journey with a vague notion that I would end up with a Gibson, possibly a J-45. I tried a number of great guitars - Collings, Gibson, Larrivee, Taylor, a Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe (this was my runner-up). And then I picked up a Furch from the wall. This thing has oodles of overtones to go with great sustain and volume. The fit and finish is immaculate, and it is truly a beautiful instrument. Furch wasn't even on my radar when I started looking, and then it smacked me in the face and demanded I take it home. I will agree with previous posters that Furch is more on the Taylor spectrum of sound, however Furch has a bottom end that Taylor just does not have.

You really can't go wrong with either. Ultimately I voted Martin, and that's what I would pick if I could only have one.
Martin OM-18 adi/sinker

couple of electrics, couple of ukes, etc.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:53 AM

Martin all the way.Played a Furch OM did not enjoy it...seemed stiff and cold.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:08 AM

What's a Furch?

Just kidding! But only sort of.
I only learned of Furch through these acoustic guitar forums. I've never seen one in the wild. EVERYBODY knows what Martins are. Probably easier to find, sell, repair, trade, a Martin -and- a "high end" Martin, as the OP puts it, is a very difficult thing to improve upon.

If I ever see a Furch I'd be excited to check it out and play it.

To the OP, why this comparison vs the abundance of other guitars that can be compared to a Martin?
I didn't vote in the poll as I'm not qualified to have an opinion either way, other than I like Martins.

Last edited by Corndog; 05-27-2022 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
What's a Furch?

Just kidding! But only sort of.
I only learned of Furch through these acoustic guitar forums. I've never seen one in the wild. EVERYBODY knows what Martins are. Probably easier to find, sell, repair, trade, a Martin -and- a "high end" Martin, as the OP puts it, is a very difficult thing to improve upon.

If I ever see a Furch I'd be excited to check it out and play it.

To the OP, why this comparison vs the abundance of other guitars that can be compared to a Martin?
I didn't vote in the poll as I'm not qualified to have an opinion either way, other than I like Martins.
Just looking for high end guitars that I can afford, and I found that Furch is one such brand. I like Collings and Lowden, but they are way beyond what I could afford.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:03 AM

Troubadour, I really think the questions you pose would be much better answered if you systematically included your desired purchase price range.

In one of the video examples you cited, there is a Martin at $8k vs. a Furch at $2.5k (if I’m not mistaken).

I realize you’re looking for objective opinions and don’t want to sway the responses too much with your various expectations, but in the end you always mention price as a limiting factor. It would probably be better to make it part of the conversation from the beginning rather than a dismissal for the honest suggestions you receive from the kind folks who take the time to respond.

There is an old adage which I think applies here: the answers you get are only as good as the question asked.

(Please understand, I’m not criticizing—only hoping to help you better frame your research for ultimate guitar bliss. )

P.S. If you are considering Furch in comparison to Martin, it might be wise to look at the Furch Vintage line.

Last edited by Aimelie; 05-27-2022 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Troubadour, I really think the questions you pose would be much better answered if you systematically included your desired purchase price range.

In one of the video examples you cited, there is a Martin at $8k vs. a Furch at $2.5k (if I’m not mistaken).

I realize you’re looking for objective opinions and don’t want to sway the responses too much with your various expectations, but in the end you always mention price as a limiting factor. It would probably be better to make it part of the conversation from the beginning rather than a dismissal for the honest suggestions you receive from the kind folks who take the time to respond.

There is an old adage which I think applies here: the answers you get are only as good as the question asked.

(Please understand, I’m not criticizing—only hoping to help you better frame your research for ultimate guitar bliss. )

P.S. If you are considering Furch in comparison to Martin, it might be wise to look at the Furch Vintage line.
I don't think I've dismissed anyone's answers. I believe I've already said I appreciate everyone's responses. From my other threads, most who are familiar with my situation know I can't go over $3000 in a possible purchase.

BTW, thanks for your response, too.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:17 AM

You’re welcome!

“Dismiss” wasn’t the best choice of words—sorry about that.

Anyway, happy hunting!

Old 05-27-2022, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
You’re welcome!

“Dismiss” wasn’t the best choice of words—sorry about that.

Anyway, happy hunting!

No problem.

I think I've decided on what I want -- a Martin HD-28 reimagined, preferably ambertone. But to get it, I've got to move my present Martin out. Seems like a lot of trouble to get just 1/16 of an inch more width on the neck, but my left hand has convinced me I'll not be able to play the guitar adequately without that ever so slightly wider neck. While I'm waiting, I'm trying to decide whether to go new or used.

After all my threads, and all this time researching, I believe the only guitar I would consider other than a Martin, and one that I could afford, would be a Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I think it has the 1.75 nut width.

Last edited by Troubador; 05-27-2022 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:49 AM
Guest 2223

I voted Furch but it isn't an either or decision. Obviously everyone is making great guitars these days. I was looking for a good dreadnought and recently ended up with a Furch Vintage 3 D-SR. This guitar blows me away. I had played some new guilds, used collings, a couple martins and was getting to the point that the warm round worn in guitar sound I was looking for didn't exist. I went to try out a used HD28V but the shop sold it about an hour before I walked in. They recommended I try the Furch, which I had never heard of. I strummed a couple chords and yadda yadda yadda the heavens opened and a golden light shone lol. Usually I don't even like Rosewood dreads, but this one was great and had that vintage dreadnought sound. I have had it about 3 weeks now and am waiting to post an NGD because I want to get over the New Guitar spell and be objective. All this to say, check out the Furch Vintage Dreads!
Old 05-27-2022, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
No problem.

I think I've decided on what I want -- a Martin HD-28 reimagined, preferably ambertone. But to get it, I've got to move my present Martin out. Seems like a lot of trouble to get just 1/16 of an inch more width on the neck, but my left hand has convinced me I'll not be able to play the guitar adequately without that ever so slightly wider neck. While I'm waiting, I'm trying to decide whether to go new or used.

After all my threads, and all this time researching, I believe the only guitar I would consider other than a Martin, and one that I could afford, would be a Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I think it has the 1.75 nut width.
The optimal solution for you from an economic perspective would be to find someone with a reimagined HD-28 who is looking for a pre-reimagined HD-28, and work out a trade. A bit of a needle in a haystack no doubt, but there are people out there (like you) who prefer the tone of the pre-reimagined bracing but aren’t bothered by the 1-11/16” nut width.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I have a Martin dread and a Furch Yellow GA. I've played a Furch Green dread.

I liked my Martin dread better than the Furch I played because the tone I expect from a dread is that of a Martin. So I guess I'm "tone biased" in that respect. Furch has that "modern" tone, similar to Taylor.

That said, my Martin stays in its case and my Furch gets played regularly - the sort of music I play sounds better on the Furch and the Furch has a wider nut as well.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
I don't think I've dismissed anyone's answers. I believe I've already said I appreciate everyone's responses. From my other threads, most who are familiar with my situation know I can't go over $3000 in a possible purchase.

BTW, thanks for your response, too.
Always best to actually state budget range right from the get go (relying on us old farts to remember your other threads let alone a budget you may have mentioned is a risky proposition )

As far as Furch vs. Martin (If you are specifically wanting a Dread) I tend agree with the poster that mentioned Furch's strong point is in other shapes BUT I have not played a Furch dread so I am just speculating ..

If one is looking for that classic 60's Martin Dread sound (particularly as a strummer or Blue Grass flat picker sound ),, then it is pretty hard to beat a Martin Dread with that classic rosewood/spruce and Martins bracing etc. The one thing I personally did not like about the 60's Martins (having small hands ) was in fact the old v neck shape. But I understand the one you are looking at has a modified Neck profile.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-27-2022, 07:14 AM

I've never played a Furch but my understanding is that they are close to Taylors than Martins. If you're convinced that the nut width is the problem with your current situation I'd just get the re-imagined HD28 and be done with it.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-27-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
The optimal solution for you from an economic perspective would be to find someone with a reimagined HD-28 who is looking for a pre-reimagined HD-28, and work out a trade. A bit of a needle in a haystack no doubt, but there are people out there (like you) who prefer the tone of the pre-reimagined bracing but aren’t bothered by the 1-11/16” nut width.
Yes, I am open to that but haven't found anyone, yet.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
I voted Furch but it isn't an either or decision. Obviously everyone is making great guitars these days. I was looking for a good dreadnought and recently ended up with a Furch Vintage 3 D-SR. This guitar blows me away. I had played some new guilds, used collings, a couple martins and was getting to the point that the warm round worn in guitar sound I was looking for didn't exist. I went to try out a used HD28V but the shop sold it about an hour before I walked in. They recommended I try the Furch, which I had never heard of. I strummed a couple chords and yadda yadda yadda the heavens opened and a golden light shone lol. Usually I don't even like Rosewood dreads, but this one was great and had that vintage dreadnought sound. I have had it about 3 weeks now and am waiting to post an NGD because I want to get over the New Guitar spell and be objective. All this to say, check out the Furch Vintage Dreads!
Yes, I am interested in the Furch Vintage dreads. In the youtube video I posted earlier, I didn't like the Furch Vintage 2 nearly as much as the Martin, but I was thinking I might like the Vintage 3 -- the one you got -- better. It has upgraded tonewoods. I found a comparison video, but it's not good. There is a music shop in Memphis that carries Furch; I checked their website, and they have an Orange dread and a Red one in stock but no Vintage dreads, which is what I would prefer, I believe. It would cost more than twice as much for gas as it did last fall if I decided to make that trip to check them out in person. And I still wouldn't get to play a Vintage dread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion