The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-26-2022, 05:00 AM

Default Seeking charts with chords & lyrics - best online sources?

I’d like to build a small repertoire of vocal songs. I have some very specific songs in mind, some well known, others less so.

I’d like to hear the forum’s recommendations for online sources of charts (sheet music) that have vocals plus chords. Basic strum-along charts are ok, but they need to be high quality and print well.

Can anyone recommend good sources of such charts?

YouTube: "Bluegum Counterpoint"
https://youtube.com/channel/UCbPhfbyWD5qNUT8ehnkoNlg
Old 05-26-2022, 05:05 AM

Ps. I don’t mind paying a reasonable fee for access to good quality charts

Old 05-26-2022, 08:36 AM

for just chords & lyrics, ultimate guitar has a ton available free on their website, and an app, and more pay features I'm not familiar with.

For actual sheet music, I've no clue. I only know 1 guitar player who can sight read sheet music.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:16 AM

MusicNotes.com
Old 05-26-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Fish View Post
I’d like to build a small repertoire of vocal songs. I have some very specific songs in mind, some well known, others less so.

I’d like to hear the forum’s recommendations for online sources of charts (sheet music) that have vocals plus chords. Basic strum-along charts are ok, but they need to be high quality and print well.

Can anyone recommend good sources of such charts?
Go digital and set up Songbook Pro. You can import charts from Ultimate Guitar directly into the app, create and share playlists, print out set lists, lyrics only, and of course, print things out. For me, being able to transpose the chords into a different key with the swipe of a finger is the biggest selling point.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Ultimate Guitar is a wealth of info and you can transpose most songs also, and copy & paste them. Not sure what the free version may lack, but I think $35 buys a lifetime membership, and is well worth it. Includes for many songs a ‘play’ feature, where the charts track along with the song. Also both chord charts and tabs.
For some songs I really like to see sheet music, and Music Notes is excellent. Yes it costs about $5/song, but you can transpose here also, within limits. And you are really buying music, in the old sense, and composers are getting paid. If I’m serious about singing a new song I like to see the melody written out.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

There are several sources ($) for digital versions of “official” fake books such as https://www.halleonard.com/product/2...itar-fake-book & https://www.realbooksoftware.com but if you are looking for free …. The Internet Archive is a great resource: https://archive.org/details/fakebooks …… (;-))
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-27-2022, 12:50 PM

I sometimes use www.sheetmusicdirect.com for accurate chords & lyrics.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 05-27-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
for just chords & lyrics, ultimate guitar has a ton available free on their website, and an app, and more pay features I'm not familiar with.

For actual sheet music, I've no clue. I only know 1 guitar player who can sight read sheet music.
Most of the players at my Barn Jam use Ultimate Guitar to look up charts if someone calls a song they don't know.

I use Ultimate Guitar to look up charts, then I Copy/Past them into Word so I can edit them, get them the way I like. Then I save it. One copy goes into my set binder, and if I plan to call that song at the Barn Jam then I can print handouts.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-27-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Most of the time Ultimate Guitar has what I need, but there may be other versions out there that work better for me. If I want to learn a song I'll Google the song title (ex: Paradise John Prine Chords) and look through the different versions on different sites and pick the one that works best for me. Once I pick one, I'll send it to OnSong and I'm ready to learn.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-27-2022, 01:55 PM

Most of the time Ultimate Guitar has what I need, but there may be other versions out there that work better for me. If I want to learn a song I'll Google the song title (ex: Paradise John Prine Chords) and look through the different versions on different sites and pick the one that works best for me.
This ^^^^^^^
Then reduced to 2 pages....Then into a 3 ring binder......Then I break out the glasses.....and turn up the music stand light....to high.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 05-28-2022, 04:04 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. Looks like lots of great suggestions here for me to explore.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:10 PM

I also use Ultimate Guitar then copy/paste to my Google Drive where I adjust the font size and page breaks and then upload to “unrealBook” on my iPad. I have a footpad to change pages. This has been a huge help in acquiring and learning new songs. I make notes on unrealBook and use it when I gig. I already know the song by then, but having the notes helps especially if playing with others.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:01 PM

I use Ultimate Guitar as well but will do a Google search and watch as many Youtube videos to get a feel for a song. I always find a few versions that are a little different but in my wheelhouse.

I have to say though, when I first took guitar lessons forty some years ago, songs were laid out line by line, and were very easy to follow. The modern way of three or four words per line drives me batty.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

When I am looking for chords and lyrics to a particular song, I google it. In almost every case I find that Ultimate Guitar has the best stuff available.

I have noted that routinely chords and lyrics on ultimateguitar.com are incorrect in places, but at least it's a good place to start. I then check out the chords and lyrics against the actual original song on YouTube and then make corrections.

I find incorrect lyrics as often as I find incorrect chords. You'd think for most people that the lyrics would be the easiest part.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write