The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
A lot have chosen Collings. I need to listen to more youtube clips of them, to see what I'll be missing.
I simply wasn’t as enamored of the Collings tone as I imagined I might be…so for that reason, and the fact that I’m just not a good enough player to justify that level of an instrument…I went back to what I know & love, and that’s a Martin.

But, that extra level of hand craftsmanship on the Collings goes a long way.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:05 PM

Have to go Yamaha . This is my first one , always walked past them in the music stores. Have Seagulls and Godin a lot of bling but a lot pricier . Really like Yamaha.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:25 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
I know the answer to this question involves subjective opinion, but I'll ask it anyway, as opinions are what I'm seeking. Is there a guitar maker that you consider to have the best overall build quality -- that produces guitars that are consistently well built, that stand out from other guitar makers? If you were judging guitar makers based solely on build quality, who would you choose?
To me, this question would be very difficult to answer, simply because I haven’t seen/played very many brands of guitar. I’ve played since the early 1970s, quite a few years professionally, but have real world experience with only three high-end makers: Kazuo Yairi (Japan), Gibson & Taylor. In my experience (which, like I said, is very limited), it’s a dead heat between the three, with a nod to Taylor because of their reputation.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 06-03-2022, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Production line: Collings

Small shop: Blazer and Henkes as well as Dudenbostel
Old 06-04-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
The Martin Authentic's the build quality is finally on par with SCGC, Lowden, Collings, H&D, Bourgeois. Could never have said that 10 years ago.
Really? It's well known that Martin, a much larger builder than the others, has had QC issues, including in the recent past. But the first generation Authentics that I played seemed to be as well built as any of the boutique builders. And my 00-18 Tim O'Brien has been flawless from day one. I guess your experience was not as fortunate.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 06-04-2022, 09:46 PM

Yes in the past they never were in the Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois league. With the Authentic series Martin has basically answered the challenge as if to say....Dare you question our resolve or know how! My new OO-17 Authentic 1931 has made me question if I really want to keep my Santa Cruz H-13, the Martin just has a richer smoother sound. The thought of the Martin replacing my SCGC never crossed my mind.

Last edited by hifivic; 06-04-2022 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:23 AM

I'd suggest any of the Eastman guitars. I haven't tried any "bad" ones yet--just a few that I didn't feel compelled to buy.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Yes in the past they never were in the Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois league. With the Authentic series Martin has basically answered the challenge as if to say....Dare you question our resolve or know how! My new OO-17 Authentic 1931 has made me question if I really want to keep my Santa Cruz H-13, the Martin just has a richer smoother sound. The thought of the Martin replacing my SCGC never crossed my mind.
I think that I misunderstood your earlier post. I agree: the Authentics are probably the best and most consistently well-built guitars that Martin has produced.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 06-05-2022, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Of my three American made factory guitars I ‘ll say the Guild is actually the cleanest inside and out as far as fit and finish goes. All three are excellent though. Took me a long time to get to the point of being content with my stable.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion